Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS .91 FX Inverted Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
fisher1648

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .91 FX Inverted Install ?

I installed my new OS 91FX in the inverted orientation. I havent run it yet but some guys who are running them inverted told me that it will be problematic regarding it loading-up and low RPM / Idle. They say that if you idle too long in flight that it'll load up and quit. Apparently, the only way they can get theirs to run reliably is to use an on-board glow driver.

It this true with the .91 mounted inverted ? Cant I compensate with the low-end needle adjustment to prevent loading-up ?

Now I'm paranoid [X(]

Any tips are appreciated -

Thanks, Eric

Old 01-12-2008, 05:22 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS .91 FX Inverted Install ?

Not to worry, I have had mine 91 FX inverted with no issues at all. In fact nearly all my engines are inverted, two and fourstrokes. If you adjust the needles properly and the tank is at the correct height you will be fine. Mine will idle forever and transition into wot with no problem at all.
I have never even owned an on board glow device

It is however more easy to overprime and get a hydrolock when it is inverted because all the fuel gathers at the top of the sylinder when its hanging upside down, so be careful when trying to fire it up. If it loads up once it runs, you have not adjusted the needles correctly
Old 01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure your fuel tank is pretty much level with the needle valve.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 PM
fisher1648

I flew my inverted .91FX today in an ARF P-51 Mustang and it ran perfectly. I did the normal adjustments and got the low end needle set for good low-high transition. No flameouts at extended idle..... Life is good

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62541.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	850380  
Old 01-13-2008, 07:04 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: asmund

Not to worry, I have had mine 91 FX inverted with no issues at all. In fact nearly all my engines are inverted, two and fourstrokes. If you adjust the needles properly and the tank is at the correct height you will be fine. Mine will idle forever and transition into wot with no problem at all.
I have never even owned an on board glow device

It is however more easy to overprime and get a hydrolock when it is inverted because all the fuel gathers at the top of the sylinder when its hanging upside down, so be careful when trying to fire it up. If it loads up once it runs, you have not adjusted the needles correctly

------------------

What Asmund said.

Going to a glow plug one increment hotter can help too.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
fisher1648

Ed,

Can you recommend a glow plug for me. I typically use the Fox std plugs in my glow engines and they seem to work OK but maybe there is something better I could use.

Let me know what ya think -

Thanks, Eric