blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: OS 81FS-a

The original poster has some valid questions, and he has asked that we get back to them. There are plenty of other threads to argue about other engines that have no bearing on what he is looking for.

Basically, this thread is being led off course right now. So, I'm asking nicely again to keep in close to the subject.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM
asmund

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think this thread says it all, post nr 6: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6914626/tm.htm

The 81 competes against YS 63 and saito 82. The OS 81 is alot heavier, rated at less hp and are much more expensive that the two other competitors in this class. You must REALLY want the name OS on your engine to go right past the other two and get that OS.

Even the Saito 100 is lighter in weight than the OS 81, who needs small heavy engines and at that price??????
Old 01-20-2008, 04:56 PM
asmund

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hopefully Togatoga will report some tach readings on the OS 81, it seems like he`s the only one owning this new OS so far
Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
wingburner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks asmund...He does say in "his opinion" that the OS is alot better built than the others he looked at...Run all gas now, but have a plane that requires a 70-91 4st...What really appeals to me about the 81a is the better lube and way way less mess..I had an OS 200 for a brief time and let me tell you that the cleanup is way way less with their new system and an awesome engine..Not in a hurry for one so maybe there'll be more info after awhile.

Just for others comments, i've been in this hobby since 1980 and have owned all engines you can think of...I am well aware of price and power comparisons on all engines mentioned..I can find info on any of them on this site, but the 81a is new and that's why i would appreciate that it be kept to that.

Not saying there aren't better or worse alternatives but yes the 81a appeals to me
Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: blw

The original poster has some valid questions, and he has asked that we get back to them. There are plenty of other threads to argue about other engines that have no bearing on what he is looking for.

Basically, this thread is being led off course right now. So, I'm asking nicely again to keep in close to the subject.
your right!.........i've gone back and edited my posts.
sorry for getting off track, i guess it's our good nature as modelers to try and steer someone in the best direction..........what was i thinking[:-]
Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, I wasn't saying that anybody wasn't good natured and helpful! Put your comments back in if you want. I was only asking that we get back on track.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:24 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i didn't take it that way at all.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Flyboy Dave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jack....you said...."I need a 91 size engine"...

...and you asked...."what do you guys think ?"

I see the replies as honest opinions.....maybe not what you wanted to hear. No one criticized you,
and nobody went off-topic either. You asked for opinions....you're getting them....enjoy.

FBD.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
asmund

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: wingburner
What really appeals to me about the 81a is the better lube and way way less mess
Not saying there aren't better or worse alternatives but yes the 81a appeals to me

Ok, but even the newer Magnums have this new lube system where the oil from the crankcase goes back into the manifold instead off on your plane.
But if the engine appeals to you, that is enough reason for you to get it. Lord knows I have bought alot of stuff because it appealed to me, some were good buys others not so great
Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Whistling Death

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My opinion, I hope O.S. has to eat their over priced egines. I have two O.S. 91 Surpasses and I got both of them for the cost of one 81. I am an O.S. fan boy but $350.00+ is a joke. If I had a plane and the only size engine I could put in it was an 80 size it would be the much cheaper and lighter Saito 82. Other wise it's a 91Surpass
Old 01-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Iflyglow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did buy 3 Magnum's for a total price of $360.00 last winter. I hope OS goes out of business if they are going to start price gouging this bad and taking advantage of us engine fanatics. They will price them selfs right out of business. Once you go to a Saito, and especially a Magnum .91, you will never spend that kind of money on a OS that is less powerfull and 1 OZ lighter. I can see OS declining in my area allready for the last few years. There are more and more Saito's at both the LHS's and at the many flyins I attend every summer.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
liquid_TR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys, why so aggressive?? - Look its simple; If you find a particular engine over-priced, dont buy it. And frankly 81a is over-priced. SO?? not much of us gona buy it anyway.. When the sales arent there, its price will go down to a reasonable number worldwide. Then using a couple of ad numbers and promotions you will be able to buy it at a much more reasonable price tag. Dont expect it to go down to clone prices, as this being a posh brand, it will be steep anyway.

But look at the new technology, Its lighter than its predecessors, its even more economical on fuel and even cleaner running. (Assuming it has the same characteristics as the 56a which I own) Combine this with the new lubrication system (which works!), the corrosion prevention (high quality metals, machining, plating) and high quality crankshaft and cam drive, you end up with a *very* well made, long term investment with a low depreciation.

So, wait.. If the guys that just bought them come up with the performance figures and real life test results, and if it all sounds good to ya, within a short period of time you can get one for yourself at a lower price than advertised!.

If you are happy to run the clones, or other poshish brand - just keep running them. No one is forcing anyone to buy a 81a right at this moment.

Just dont bash it the first moment you see it.
Oii..
Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 PM
misterpanda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ahhhh!!!! That's the sweetness of free enterprise for you. You have your choices - plenty - plus you're free to vote with your wallet.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

You asked for opinions....you're getting them....enjoy.

FBD.

The original question was if anyone had flown the OS .81FS and if they had comparisons to the OS .91FS. He wants to choose between the two engines.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
the pope

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To get back to one of the original questions [:-] not. Over here in AUS. the os 81 and the saito 82 are the same price so a comparison of those two engines would be interesting but I guess thats a question for another another thread or day. I bet it will be a nice engine anyway. Cheers the pope
Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 PM
togatoga

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK! finally got around to running the engine. Took out the baffle which didn't make much of a difference. The muffler is rather small, it looks like the muffler found on the 56a both of which I've sold recently.
I ran the saito 82a and the fs for a side by side comparision. The 63s would be off the power band so it wouldn't be fair.

Fuel used Wildcat15% as I don't want the engine to be addicted to more than 20% nitro.
Prop of choice 13x8apc.

Saito 82a------------9800rpm ( standard muffler with velocity stack)
OS fs81 alpha---- 10250/10290rpm less than one tank running!!

I have to admit that I didn't hold much promise for the 81.The readings surprised me.The muffler had a smaller bore than the saito and the engine looked ordinary.
The saito has had 15flights on it so it would be well broken in - almost.
I expect a bit better rpm increase with a bit more running
I'll see if I can substitute a ys muffler.

The os91 surpass II weighs in at 650gm with standard muffler and a few gms lighter with the older style version and you can fit the velocity stack onto it so it could be another alternative. Don't have time to tach it but I suppose figures should be better than the 81.

I would rationalize my purchase by the fact that its a few mm shorter than the OS91, has lower vibration than the 82 at full bore ,is quieter with the baffle and it doesn't leave the plane with an oily residue.
That said, the saito is lighter and the OS91 is almost of the same size, you can fit the velocity stack to save some fuel and improve response and would be more powerful.
I leave you to decide the choice.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

togatoga- keep in mind that the rpm figures on the ground may not indicate how the engines perform in the air. The prop is not working at all in this situation, so a lot of info will prove out once in the air.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
togatoga

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That leaves to be seen I suppose. The figures on the ground look good though.For comparo-the 91 surpassII vs the 81. Size of 81 slightly shorter. Weight without muffler 81- 553gm 91-596gm. I swapped the velocity stacks. OS 81 and 91 and YS63 mufflers are interchangeable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12181.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	858702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24137.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	858703  
Old 01-23-2008, 03:57 PM
atsioukl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not to take this thread off the subject but what do the velocity stacks actually do? And moreso, who sells them and ~how much?

Anthony
Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Harry Lagman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Togatoga, thanks for sharing that performance information with us. It looks like the .81 is a good performer right out of the box!

10 grand plus on an APC 13 x 8 is right up there in .91 FS country. Last time I tached a Saito .91, it pulled 9800 with the APC 13 x 8 on 10% nitro.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 PM
wingburner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info togatoga...Looks as though i will purchase one by spring..Hopefully the price decreases a little.

Thanks
Jack
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
liquid_TR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Harry Lagman
10 grand plus on an APC 13 x 8 is right up there in .91 FS country. Last time I tached a Saito .91, it pulled 9800 with the APC 13 x 8 on 10% nitro.
Excellent! Just as I predicted. I bet its gona be even more powerfull with APC 14x6.

Lets see how the bashing the alpha series turns around, once the price goes down a little..
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
JoeyCoates

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do not think that many would be bashing the 81 if the prices were in line, but as others have said people will decide on the success of the engine with their wallets more then they will by posting tach numbers. OS has a lot of money invested in the dedicated castings and machined parts for this engine, if people are not buying then I should imagine that it will not take long for the price to drop.

And who is to argue with their pricing strategy? The OS 81 currently comes in at $350 and the Saito 82 at around $255 (both before discounts etc). Say in early Spring (when flying season starts rolling again) OS decides to drop the price of the 81 to $300, a $50 reduction. Now all of the sudden some people will be saying "see now, OS realized that they were asking too much and lowered the price, now that's more like it" and they will buy the 81 as $50 is a good deal off of $350. But OS would still be getting $45 more then the 82, and $20 more then the Saito 100!

Who knows, maybe they are taking it in the rear for a little while so they can do a price reduction and still get more money for their engines then the competition.

One way or another something has to give, they must have noticed that these things are not exactly "flying" off of the shelves.

The numbers that togatoga got look pretty good though, and people will pay a bit more for a quality item and I do believe that by and large OS does make very good and long lasting engines. They have had a few bumps, but not many.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
asmund

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I`d still get the Saito 100 before that 81. The 100 is more powerful AND less weight, did I mention that the 100 is less expensive too?? And no one will argue that the Saito is a quality engine as well
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Harry Lagman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: asmund

I`d still get the Saito 100 before that 81. The 100 is more powerful AND less weight, did I mention that the 100 is less expensive too?? And no one will argue that the Saito is a quality engine as well
Unless you've been grinding parts of the Saito 100 away with the dremel, the Saito 100 is a heavier engine than the OS .81. Check any of the readily available manufacturer specs on the two to confirm.

Remember when the Saito FA 100 first came out? Recommended Retail: $399! Of course, "street price" ended up being much lower.

Search this Thread