Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

ST34-GH with ringed Piston and chromed brass Liner?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ST34-GH with ringed Piston and chromed brass Liner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 AM
tiffitech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST34-GH with ringed Piston and chromed brass Liner?

Hi,

maybe some of you guys remember that I've tried to repair an broken carb slot in a ST.34-gh housing with some aluminum solder in the past
and that the entire crankcase was geometrically unusable afterwards? This wasn't really a big fail, since the case was broken anyways.
(AJ Coholic wrote that he has an old crankcase for me, but since I've told him that I'm located in Germany, I never heard agian from him).

Six months before now I got a cheap ST.34GH from Ebay. I've dismantled it now and found a ringed Piston together with an chromes brass liner in there...?
Is that normal? The first engine has a steel liner with ringed piston (in good shape so I can build a good motor out of the parts). Never saw a ringed piston
in a ABC Liner before..

Kind Regards,

Holm
Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ST34-GH with ringed Piston and chromed brass Liner?

Holm, THis is a first generation ST G34 engine you have. It had a long wearing Chromed brass liner without a taper and a ringed aluminum piston. A very good unit but it was more expensive to produce than the newer one with a leaded steel liner "due to the chrome plating."
Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

makes me want to go check mine. I have a .34, never been run. Wonder if it's chromed or the later one? Thanks for the info!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
tiffitech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks controlliner, I don't knew this but I found more differences between the engines: The crank, the front bearing, the case, drive collar and prop drive are also different. The engine with the steel liner had a bigger front bearing. I've build now an engine with the steel liner and the rest of the parts from the brass liner engine, since a piece from the ring of the brass liner engine was missing (have to order a new ring from Frank Bowman next time). The conrod has scratches, but piston, liner crank and case from the brass engine are fine so far.. will keep them for parts. The carb has some minor differences too..

Regards,

Holm
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Super Tigre V60 with a ringed piston and chrome bore, nice engine.