Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito Carb Spring/ Install Which Way??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito Carb Spring/ Install Which Way??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito Carb Spring/ Install Which Way??

Question for the Saito Gurus. I just traded for a crashed Saito 180 with some carb damage. Which direction does the spring behind carb go? I took a 180 carb apart to replace broken needle valve and the spring came out with wide part to the rear of the carb and the narrow part to the carb barrel. I tried to reassembel but the spring narrow end would go in the hole for spraybar and prevent barrel from fully going into carb body. There is also a thin thrust washer that I placed agains the rear of carb body. I tried to view these parts on parts breakdown on web but the parts are vague and not visible. The spring with wide side to the carb barrel seems to work good but want to get your opinion, advice. I will fire this ole Saito 180 off tomorrow afternoon. The engine is one of the older ones but seems to be in topnotch contition as far as operation condition goes If you know of better view of parts breakdown on internet please let me know. I read one of Bill Robersons old post about the 180 carb and o-ring just recently. The older 180s don't use the small o-ring that comes in the rebuild kit.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Saito Carb Spring/ Install Which Way??

The small end goes out

It should not extend past the spray bay. When the spray bar is in the barrel, the spring cannot go into the spray bar hole.

If you put the spring in the other way it will not be the end of the world. It should run OK

I don't remember any thrust washer inside the carb?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67936.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	872329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76116.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	872330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64987.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	872331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26706.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	872332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46388.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	872333  
Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
buzzingb

That is what I thought. I may try to take intake off and use some pliers to get it to go on squarely if not I will just try and run it in reverse. Yesterday, I tried it twice the correct way but it kept getting caught in the hole and even bent it a little one time. I think the spring keeps the barrel from hammering under the intense vibrations. I think I will start a digital picture collection for my Saitos while disassembled for repair purposes. I thought the internet would have some but the exploded views are vague at best.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
w8ye

On the 180 carb without a barrel spring, the barrel moves randomly in and out and keeps changing the mixture. You can never get the needle set.

People loose the spring all the time because they don't know it is supposed to be in there.

On a used engine who knows what kind of spring someone put in there. It's probably from a smaller Saito

I've seen all kinds of combinations.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
buzzingb

W8YE, I think you are right about the spring not being the proper one my spring looks smaller in diameter on the small end than the one in the picture. This engine has been apart many times. The compression is good and I have heard it run before and it has good power etc. One of the previous owners said that he had just recently replaced the bearings and he is the kind that would have just thrown in a spring regardless. Since my rebuild kit didn't come with a spring, Can I buy a spring from saito seperately and how much will it cost?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
w8ye

In the first picture above, the screw set has a spring in it.

$6.50

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=SAI120S90A
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
buzzingb

Ok I finally got it on correctly and it is doing well. I even fired it off this afternoon. The power these things have!!! I bolted on a very very heavy APC 18X8 thinking the 180 would have to work to spin that prop and boy was I wrong. The 180 got up to 8400 with no trouble at all. It would idle below 2000 and hit 8400 so quick it was amazing. I will probally order a 18X6 to get the rpms up just a tad. Needless to say I am happy now and will oil her up and start eyeballing an airframe to mount her to. Thanks for all the help.