Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Making Glow Reliable

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Making Glow Reliable

One thing that is a big help if there is a tank issue say low in relation to the carb or a long run from the tank to the carb is a one way check valve in the pressure line from the muffler. The one I use is made by Foremost products they have both a glow and gas/diesel/smoke oil version. It give constant pressure in the tank for a great feed to the carb from full till an empty tank. martin

This is an issue in fueling tank and solved by putting a T fitting in the line between the pressure unit and the tank and using a line plug just pull the plug when filling the tank remember tis is a one way
check valve and unless you disconnect it on the tank side or use the t fitting you cannot get fuel in the tank
Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the best way to keep fuel fresh?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Keep your jug sealed tightly. Keep it in a temperature controlled room and out of any sunlight. I buy my fuel by the case and it sometimes takes a while to use it all up. I've never had problems. I keep a rag over the jug when at the field, and in the shade.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blw

Keep your jug sealed tightly. Keep it in a temperature controlled room and out of any sunlight. I buy my fuel by the case and it sometimes takes a while to use it all up. I've never had problems. I keep a rag over the jug when at the field, and in the shade.
I had a jug go bad on me last year and it turned out to be the problem I was having with two different engines. After I rinsed the tanks out and used different fuel, the problem went away. Now I started to pinch off the fuel and vent lines so no moisture can get in there. Any of you guys doin' the same?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JNorton

I've had MDS 48, TT Pro 46, Saito 72, 125, 150, Magnum 46, Magnum .91 4 stroke, OS 61, OS 91 Surpass II, OS 120 Surpass II, Enya R120 4 stroke etc. All of them are dead reliable motors after I solved some fuel delivery problems (tank height) and learned how to tune them properly. I use two filters on the fuel pump. None on the airplanes. I run Omega 15% in everything.
John
If you got some of those engines on airplanes...bring em out to our new field by Hesperia Fire Barn Thanks Capt,n
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
scratchonly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my 4s are reliable (10 of them); I use omega 15%, break them in, set the needles and LEAVE THEM ALONE!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Personaly, I feel 99% of the engine's on todays market (at least the one's I have either bought, traded for or tested for Fly RC) are extremely reliable and if properly used, shouldnt give anyone fits. Yes, there are exceptions, with particular brands sometimes, and with any brand at times (nothing is manufactured to 100% perfection).

The most important thing I can suggest, is to properly familiarise yourself with the tuning of glow engines. More trouble and headaches are caused (in my opinion by observing many modelers) by running the engine too lean (or too rich), using an improperly sized prop, poor glow plug choice,etc. Learn how to break in an engine, and then learn how to tune it. You will be surprised how many awesome engines are now available, once you know how to set the needle.

For most of my own planes (I have 20+ in RTF state) I do not fly filters, or pumps. I have had good luck with the CLine type regulator/pressure feed system when I needed it, but for the majority of models it is not necessary IMO. If your fuel is clean before it goes into the tank, you dont really need a fuel filter (which can leak and cause issues). If you do use a filter, clean it regularly and test it for leaks from time to time.

Dont be afraid to experiment with plugs and props. I have often ventured "outside" the accepted norm, expecially for props, and have had an otherwise touchy engine turn into a sweetheart. SOme engines like a little less, and some are happy with a little more loading.

My other advice? Keep checking things like muffler/carb/head bolts from time to time. Keeping the engine clean also makes visual inspection easy.

Don't over-tune either, small steps and one thing at a time. Too many of us are too quick to turn the needles in and out a turn or two when a fraction of a turn may have been needed. Or, change fuel/prop/plug one at a time. Then you have a benchmark to compare to and see if things are headed for better or worse.

AJC
Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Good advice, Andy. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post #30 was reply to Post #21! Capt,n
Old 07-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Jezmo

I agree with Barry. Execllent advice Andy.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:30 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

This is the reason why Tower can charge so much for OS engines and still make sufficient sales. OS does offer a fine, trouble-free engine in the majority of instances.

Ed Cregger