Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 52

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Sweet Old Bill
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 52

I am considering a plane with an OS 52 4 stroke on it. I know that this engine has been dis-continued by OS, but this one has less than 10 hours on it.
Question is - - does this model have any inherent problems?? Any notion of why OS quit making it?

Many thanks.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 52

This engine has one major problem. It is addicting. I have two, actually had two of them. Without a doubt one of the best running engines on the market. They run near 10,000 rpm with a 12-6 prop and will tick over at 1800. Instant throttle response. The one I lost was first crashed and spent four months stuck on the side of a creek behind our field. When Found, a quick cleanup and it kicked over on the first couple seconds of the starter. I later destroyed that one in a crash. For a 40 size plane, you just can't beat them.

I guess O.S. found it necessary to "Fluff" their product line and/or raise prices. The replacement, the 56 definatly accomplishes the later. Given the choice of a lightly used 52 or a new 56, it would be a no brainer. Go with the 52.

Don
Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have four of the OS 52's. They are nice engines. I've never had any problems with them.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
aa2dd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Campgems has it nailed. It is a great running engine. I have one mounted on my outragous, and it honks. Running an APC 12.25x3.75 prop. that prop/engine combo is about perfect. One of the guys at the field has a new OS 56, and so far it is not as good runing as the 52 is. OS and Futaba are going nuts, getting rid of old models that work great, and replacing them with a little fluff and a lot of price increase! Wake up OS and Futaba!!

Bruce