Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

rich idle 40 Surpass

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rich idle 40 Surpass

Ive always known OS engines to be pretty user friendly out of the box but this one not quite up to par.
My friend has a new Surpass 40 that runs fine but acts like the idle mixture cant be set lean enough for a reliable idle. The motor has about 30 minutes flying time on it, tank center is just below spraybar, side mounted cylinder, 11x6 APC. Idle gets gurgly slows down and dies after a 20 second idle and or sputters before it revs up after idle. Leaving glow battery on helps alot. Just as a test it does much better at idle if the muffler pressure line is disconnected, another sign was that it also idles more reliably with air bleed screw removed but still wont idle as good as every other air bleeded idle mixture OS Ive seen. We also checked to make sure the air bleed passage is clear and changed the glow plug to another OS F. With muffler pressure line on, and air bleed screew removed it seemed to idle a little better after a couple more flights.

Does the 40 Surpass have an issue with rich idle or does this motor just need some more time on it?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 PM
estradajae

Default RE: rich idle 40 Surpass

It sounds like your engine needs more run time...

Ringed pistons I've read that need more run time to fully seat and properly idle

Jorge
Old 03-23-2008, 10:29 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Check your fuel. Must be 5-15% nitro. Engine should run and throttle good from the moment you start it. No running in is necessary. Aim at 2000-2200rpm at idle.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Running 15% already, we'll just give it more time for now, Thanks for your help.