Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aero Starters: has anybody used these?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Pacific Aero Starters: has anybody used these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacific Aero Starters: has anybody used these?

Hi,

I was looking at the Portable Little Giant PAM-1006PPM to start Saitos 180's and 300's. Anybody has good/bad opinions on these starters?

Thanks for your input
Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 PM
JustErik

Default RE: Pacific Aero Starters: has anybody used these?

Seems like an awful lot of starter for the engines you mentioned. I'm sure it will do the job, but don't think it's necessary.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for your reply JustErik,

So you think the 12V version will work with both of these engines? That'll save me quite a few bucks.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:27 AM
JustErik

Well, I don't have a lot of experience with starters. I have one, but only use it in the event my engines are stubborn. From what I've read, however, it seems that the weakest link is usually the battery. A good 12-volt starter (one of the "heavy duty" varieties) along with a good battery (one capable of delivering lots of amps), would probably handle those engines. It will definitely help to back the piston up against compression so it has a running start when it comes around in the right direction.

I think most folks would do well to learn to hand start their engines. Judicious use of a leather glove or chicken stick, in conjunction with good technique and knowledge of their particular engine, should allow relatively easy and consistent hand starting. Saitos in particular respond very well to an experienced back-flip. Get them primed properly and most will readily start with a reverse flick against compression. My Saito 100 is a dream to start in this manner. It did take me several outings to figure out exactly what it likes, but now cold and hot starts usually take only one or two attempts.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
onewasp

My experience on the 12 volt is that it wont begin to start either the Saito 150 or 180.

In the case of the 180 my Dynatron will occasionally stall with an adequate battery source. It will always start the engine but on occasion two tries are necessary.

Now, that is a sampling of one each-------if I were choosing between the two offered by Pacific Aero I would definitely go for the 24 volt version.
My personal setup is the Dynatron on 12 volts WITH (important) the white cone-----best grip and that DOES make a difference.

If you have too much power ---- that is easy to live with. However too little = total monetary waste.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Mutt

My experience on the 12 volt is that it wont begin to start either the Saito 150 or 180.
I use a hobbico 180 starter on 12 volts it starts my 1.80's just fine also starts my g-38 and will crank over my g-45 when its warmed up.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From my experience the Big Hobbico and Great Planes starters will start my Saito 150 and a G-38 if you use a fully charged automotive 12 volt battery. I do not own a 180.