Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Denatured alcohol as fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
borna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denatured alcohol as fuel

Hello all,
Has anyone tried Denatured alcohol in the glow engine?
I like to make my own custome made fuel and want to know anyone tried this before.

Thanks
Borna
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Denatured alcohol as fuel

Borna,

I have started an engine on it but never tried to run it for an extended period of time. But it will run an OS 25 FP 2 stroke.

Andy
Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
jessiej

Borna,

Since the introduction of the glow plug in 1947 people have been trying substitutes for the methanol in glow fuel, including all forms of alcohol. None work as well as methonol. The material in the glow plug acts as a catylist for the methanol.

If you wish to make your own fuel (as I do on occasion) you will need methanol, nitromethane and either castor oil or a proper synthetic. (Or a combination of both).

I expect a search would find many discussions of this topic. Should you wish to conduct your own experiments you are unlikely to harm your engine as long as your mix contains a proper amount of an oil that will mix with whatever you use.

jess

Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
jessiej

Borna, I just saw your Glow/Gas conversion on another thread. Beautiful work and great photographs!

Have you ever run any of the pre-glow era model engines? They are mostly bushing engines but run high oil content, tyoically 3 parts gasoline to 1 part 70 wt oil. All I am familiar with have manual spark advance. Your conversion is a whole new generation of technology!

jess
Old 04-11-2008, 03:04 PM
borna

Well maybe I should have been more descriptive. I converted a glow engine to Gas with spark ignition system. See the link below

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6165393

I have 2 problems, I don’t like the smell of the gas and I have small problem with the Walbro carb. I’m using in it right now.
Therefore I want to change from Walbro carb to the original Carb that came with the engine and run it on alcohol with very low oil. As you can see from the pictures, I have converted the bronze bushing to needle bearing so the low oil should not be an issue.

I like to use methanol vs denatured alcohol but the problem is I can’t find methanol in area of West Palm Beach, Florida.
Where do you usually find Methanol?
In my case since I’m using spark ignition, does it matter if I use Methanol or denatured alcohol from local hardware store?

Thanks
Borna
Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to find a contents list on your denatured alcohol. One I saw some years back included sulphuric acid. On the other hand it may be denatured with methanol and nothing more.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: borna

Well maybe I should have been more descriptive. I converted a glow engine to Gas with spark ignition system. See the link below

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6165393

I have 2 problems, I don’t like the smell of the gas and I have small problem with the Walbro carb. I’m using in it right now.
Therefore I want to change from Walbro carb to the original Carb that came with the engine and run it on alcohol with very low oil. As you can see from the pictures, I have converted the bronze bushing to needle bearing so the low oil should not be an issue.

I like to use methanol vs denatured alcohol but the problem is I can’t find methanol in area of West Palm Beach, Florida.
Where do you usually find Methanol?
In my case since I’m using spark ignition, does it matter if I use Methanol or denatured alcohol from local hardware store?

Thanks
Borna
Try these guys for Methanol:

Ashland Chemical Inc Subsidiary Of Ashland Oil Inc
200 Ne 181 St, West Palm Beach, FL
(800) 432-8980

The company I work for used to buy methanol from Ashland Chemical, and that location should be close by. Perhaps you could pick up 5 gallons? I doubt they would sell less than 5 gallons.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM
huck1199

If there is a drag strip nearby ask them where the funny car guys buy thier fuel.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
borna

Thanks Ken,
I'll give Ashland a call to see if they can sell me some.

Borna
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 PM
skiman762

If you solder a tube on the metering diaphragm and run a line into you fuselage you find the engine runs better. With it facing the air stream the metering diaphragm is going crazy with the air pressure changes
Can’t help you with the gas smell