Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Pitts Muffler on OS 55ax

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 AM
bgee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitts Muffler on OS 55ax

I was just wondering how the 55ax performs with a Bisson pitts muffler? I have heard complains that there isnt enough back pressure and that there was a big loss of power.

Brendan
Old 04-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Pitts Muffler on OS 55ax

simline just came out with one made for the 55AX, I won't be able to try it until I get the plane together but it's much larger than the one for the 46 and that is the one I heard causing the power loss. Here is a pic to compare the 2

Dauntae
Old 09-24-2012, 04:37 PM
waross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pitts Muffler on OS 55ax

I am experiencing exactly what the original author described. I have a OS 55 AX with a Bisson Pitts Muffler. Have tried all sorts of setting with the needle valve and low end needle valve. If set very rich the engine will run well and transition but still isn't reaching peak performance. For giggles a buddy at the field whittled down a piece of Balsa wood and plugged up one of the exhaust ports. BINGO! All of a sudden I had the pressure back and was able to make the adjustment to the needle valve to maximize performance and have good transition. Obviously the Balsa won't work as a permanent solution so I am looking for ways to plug up one side and get my pressure back. Perhaps plugging one side or putting in some sort of baffle in both in order to build the pressure up a bit. Back in the shop I took out the stock muffler and the one exhaust port isn't even as large as one of the two exhaust ports on the Bisson Pitts. So it seems I need to plug up one at least.