Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: MDS 61 Break-In

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS 61 Break-In

I have a new MDS 61, made in Russia.

It's never seen fuel, so I have to break it in.

I don't have the manual.

I've searched the internet, and rcuniverse about how to break this thing in, default needle settings, etc., but came up with nothing.

Can someone who has one of these please tell me what the manual says to break it in. Or, if you disagree with what the manual says, tell me what worked for you?

Also, is this an ABC type of engine?

Ringed?

The engine has a black head with a chrome type ring around the top. The guy said it is a long-stroke type.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS 61 Break-In

I have one of these motors too. I am sure I have a manual somewhere (theyre all the same for the MDS's). They are ABC types and they need alot of break in time (theyre tight!). I will look around for you tonight after work and let you know on the procedure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS 61 Break-In

Thanks for doing this, I appreciate it.

Do you also remember what prop worked well for this, or what the prop recommendations were?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS

MN_Moose,

With the muffler removed, look through the exhaust port at the piston. If it is a one piece unit, from bottom to top, it is an ABC (or ABN; same technique), If there is a ring there, you will see it.

The MDS site is:

http://www.mdsengines.com/

I don't see a .61 there, just a .68 and a .58, which are ABC.

You can contact Horizon Hobbies, the importer to the USA, through that web page.

Sincerely,
    Dar Zeelon - ISRAEL - ddzeelon@gmail.com
    MVVS - Jett - MS Composit - Rossi - Mejzlik

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS 61 Break-In

I used a 12x6 apc for mine. I cant seem to find any of my manuals. I would break it in like any ABC engine. Do not run it too rich, you need the heat to expand everything equally. I like to start it fairly rich and open the throttle all the way using the needle valve to control the rpms. start out leaning with 5 second intervals them richen it to cool it down then lean etc. Do this for a couple tanks leaning it longer intervals. After 3 to 4 tanks you should be leaning it out to close to peak power. Now set the needles with the high still running somewhat rich and fly it slowly leaning it out until its two gallons are through it. The more care you take with breaking in the longer and more consistant she will run. These MDS's are long lasting motors and built like tanks!
    The 61 is no longer made replaced by the 68.
    Good Luck, Marcel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS 61 Break-In

Thank you very much!

When you say richen it to cool it down, you do mean to richen still in 2-stroke, but not 4 stroke it, correct?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS 61 Break-In

that would be correct, you never want to 4 stroke an ABC engine as its too tight on the top of the stroke. richen it until its blubbery and you can see the gas trail out the tail pipe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Break-in of ABC engines

MN_Moose, Marcel,

Both of you should read the threads about break in. I started one of them because of a hard-to-get-rid-of misconception.

ABC engines are to be broken-in in somewhat rich two-cycle. Running it blubbery is too rich to attain operating temperature.

It should be running lean enough to be smooth, but as far from peaked as possible. I begin with short runs, separated by cool-down periods, although some others are saying these annealing runs are not necessary.

Run it at a rich, smooth two-cycle. Not four-cycling. Not blubbery.

Sincerely,
    Dar Zeelon - ISRAEL - ddzeelon@gmail.com
    MVVS - Jett - MS Composit - Rossi - Mejzlik

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MDS 61 Break-In

The MDS 68 (should be same/similar carb on 61) has an initial setting of 2 1/2 turns open on both needles. Recommended fuel is 10-15% nitro. My preference is 5-10% nitro and a hot plug .... the OS F 4 cycle plug actually works very well. An idle bar plug is good for break-in. Use the "pinch test" (search forum) to set the low end needle. After break-in set high needle at 300rpm reduction (richer) than peak. It's an engine that requires a rather lengthy break-in .... a gallon of fuel? Break-in prop for a 58 is 11 X 7 and 68 is a 11 X 8 ....