Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Need help - Enya 29 keeps stopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 11:23 AM
The Big Kahuna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - Enya 29 keeps stopping

Hi guys, got a problem with an Enya 29. While the leads are on the glow plug it runs perfectly - for ever. Take the leads off and it stops. Yes I changed the plug 4 times out of other engines that run perfectly but still the same symptom prevails. Any Ideas?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:59 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enya 29? must be fairly old, they are a loop scavenged engine & need a idle bar plug . Also too rich a needle valve could cause it quiting , lean it out some . Fuel fresh ? Other than these you got me ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 05-11-2003, 03:45 PM
downunder-RCU

What fuel are you using? These Enyas have a cast iron piston and need around 25% all castor fuel. You might get away with some synthetic but I wouldn't use any in mine (I've got a 35). Originally they came with two cylinder heads, a high compression (9:1) and the low compression (7.5:1) but I'm not sure which one they were assembled with. I'm with big max though, it sounds like a bad fuel problem.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:52 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello!
If you have the low compression head and use low nitro fuel (5%)
You will have trouble setting the high speed needle (the range the engine works in will be very narrow..it will not go from fourstroking to two-stroking ......just fourtstroke and then...suddenly die!
This is cured by using the high compression head...and do use a Enya 3 glowplug or a OS 8 plug! Idlebar plugs are a thing of the past....and even if this engine is from the early seventies it is constructed to work on ordinary non idlebar glowplugs.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 05-11-2003, 07:09 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet all the glow plug manufactures over here didn't know that the idle bar plug is obsolete ! I'm sure they will stop production first thing tomorrow ! MAX H. (A modeler from the past)
Old 05-12-2003, 12:16 AM
downunder-RCU

Actually I think these engines went back to the late 50's, certainly the 60's. They were highly favoured for B class CL team racing up against things like the ETA and McCoy 29's.

But even their 7.5:1 heads made them seem like a diesel against the early Fox 35 with its 5:1