Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Conley 1.20 Four-Stroke

Hey Guy's

Does anyone know any history about the Conley 1.20 4-Stroke engines, other than the were produced by Gary Conley and Abitar took over the rights. I was wondering how many were made, I heard but don't know it to be true that they started the numbering of the engines at #00100 and went to around #00400. Also read on a forum, can't remember where, that the box colors were differnt colors other than the white one that I have. If you have one of these engines I would like to start a registry to see how many are still around and what the numbers are for your particular engine. So let's here from you, if you have any insight into these engines. And yes I have contacted Gary Conley himself but he seems not to remember much about this engine endeavor. And he does not have any available parts for these engines.

Mark
    Go Lower, Lower, \"Not that Low\"

Go Big, Fly Hard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Conley 1.20 Four-Stroke

They started out as a K&B. There is a picture of the K&B on here somewhere.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I heard that K&B sold the rights to Gary Conley and his actually produced them and the he sold the rights to Abitar.

Go Big, Fly Hard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi.................I sold the one on Ebay (Conley 120) that I bought at one of the Chicago shows & never started it. I bought it directly from Gary Conley himself. It was ser# 56

Don't know how many zeros were in front of the number 56 serial number...............

Tcat1000
    My Motto: Never get mad, just get even!
    Trust me, I will get even!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doggone, I can't remember for sure but I think mine was # 0026. I was ticked off at this "high" # because I had paid in full for my engine when Gary first started taking deposits. I wasn't on the "deposit list" so they sent some engines out before I found out they were shipping them. Grrrrrr.

The engine was going to be the K&B 1.20 FS but the $$ ran out after the move to AZ. Conley bought the rights and found backing to go into production. For some reason his principle backer withdrew funding and production halted. Later Abitar ( a group?) bought the tooling and went back into production with some mods to the intake system. My Conley had the long intake manifold that put the carb down near the crankcase CL. Abitar's had the carb up on the head and used a pump to overcome the prob of the carb being so far above a fuel tank's CL if the engine was mounted upright. I think they used the crank-driven Perry pump from K&B .61 Perry Pumper days. (?)

Mine ran good and I flew it it in an Ace 4-120 Bipe for a while. Trouble was the timing belt would slip periodically, necessitating that the engine be removed from the model in order to re-time the cams. I put a Saito in the airplane and sold the engine to a German collector for more than I had in it. I ran it on 10% 4-stroke fuel. It was reliable but not a real powerhouse, compared to the Saito 1.20.

That's all I remember, guys.

CR
    Charley
    ccrobins@ktc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually Conly designed the engine for K&B And K&B did not go into production. I bought mine at the WRAM show in N.Y,. and received it in about a week later. They stopped production about 6 monthe later. Mine was under #300. I had mine converted to ignition by Bill Carpenter as CHS and ran it for awhile. Not a powerhouse and was about equal to the OPS 120 OHC also on ignition. The OPS was beautiful like a piece of sculpture the Conley was like a Peterbuilt, Alas neither of them would win a shootout for power and performance. I sold the Conley for a small fortune and haven't thought about it in years. I didn't follow the Abatar years ,except to know that they lost a pile of money on the venture.
    dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    does someone has a Conley or Abitar engine used or damage one to sale?
    best regards
    Andrew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is a couple for sale on Ebay right now. I have two Conley's but there not for sale. Parts are extremely hard to find.

Mark

Go Big, Fly Hard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had one of each for several years, the ABITAR was about 500 rpm stronger turning an APC 14x6 at 12,180 rpm on WildCat 10% with 18% lube, the Conley never was able to exceed about 11,600 on the same fuel and Fox Miracle plug. O sold both about a year ago. Possibly the long intake was a draw back, the ABITAR had the carb mounted on the intake port and had a Perry pump to push fuel up to the carb. They had awsome acceleration with acceleration being as quick as you could move the throttel lever.
    John Deere 820, 72.82 HP @ 1,125 rpm, 470.7 cu. in., bore=6.125", stroke=8.00", two cylinder. CR=16 to 1.
    Starter=V-4 pony motor.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had heard thru a reliable source that porsche had alot to do with the design of the carb intake on the Conley engines, that may be why the rev so quickly.

Go Big, Fly Hard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The valves had bucket style cam followers on them with shims, no lost motion and four valves in a hemi configuration. They were hot rods. The compression was high enough that recommended no higher than 10% nitro.
    John Deere 820, 72.82 HP @ 1,125 rpm, 470.7 cu. in., bore=6.125", stroke=8.00", two cylinder. CR=16 to 1.
    Starter=V-4 pony motor.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you see the production # of the Conley for sale on Ebay #00003. I think I've got to have it. I now have a NIB Conley # 00196 and a used Conley #00297, sure hope it goes for a reasonable price.

Mark

Go Big, Fly Hard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck on that, would you happen to know Nick or Tim Nischan, Tim works at KCC.
    Starter=V-4 pony motor.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No I can't say I do, But wait a minute is Nick the young man that has cancer? That name sounds familar. My son attended KCU this past fall during his senior year of high school to pick up some class before he goes to Univ of Louisville in a couple of weeks.

Mark

Go Big, Fly Hard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes he is, I met him a few weeks ago, what a fine young man and what a shame for him to be so sick.
    Starter=V-4 pony motor.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought that might of been who it was, but I was not for sure. My son has meet him and also spoke highly of him. Such a horrific situation for such a young person to be in.

Go Big, Fly Hard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Four Valves? wowee!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are still interested and check this post for your registery, I have # 305 NIB with extra belt I Purchesed in 1989. I really wanted to run this engine but was never sure what aircraft would be suitable for such an elaborite engine, as I was not willing to run it unless it was mounted to a good aircraft.