Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS .55AX in a Pulse XT 40

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS .55AX in a Pulse XT 40

Hobbsy, I hope you two are recovering. Take care of yourselves.

David
Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 AM
RappyPilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Spoofer

Well. I had a weekend of flying my Pulse with an OS55AX.

Firstly, what an amazing engine. Started on the first flip, ran a tank of fuel through on the ground. And then took it flying. The engine idles really well, has great transition from idle to full and it just sounds awsome and is very quiet.

WOW, power on tap. The plane takes off in 3 feet and goes straight into vertical without any complaints. And I have never seen a pulse fly so fast ... and no need to even bother flicking the high rate switch he he. It will probably rip itself to pieces at full throttle doing a snaproll ...

First flew it with a 12x5, but it's not enough prop, way over revs. Put on a 12x6 and it seemed much hapier with that.

But, I had my fun with it. Now my 55 is going in my Showtime. Mounted my 46AX in my pulse again, although not as much power at the 55, I still prefer it with the 46. in a Pulse. It's the perfect engine for it.

Anyway, enjoy your Pulse :-)
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
gsmayfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering this is my first glow plane. (the pnp version). I have flown the AB3, PZ T-28, and the PZ Typhoon 2 3d (have not perfected the 3d stuff yet). Would this be a good first glow plane. I really like the looks of it and it capabilties.

I went to the local field and I got hooked on the smell of nitro. What do you think or is there already a thread out there about this topic?
Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
reincarnate

Could be a very good first glow plane, but so could any of many others if you already have flight experience under your belt. The only difference is the use and care of glow engines vs electrics. That could be where you'll find your new challenge.

Ok now that I've said that, yes I think it's a fun airplane. Flies like it knows what its doing. You won't be disappointed if your skills are already airworthy. Had a 55AX in mine, now with an older 46FX just because it doesn't go out as often anymore. But I still love it!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
LilZilla27645

I just picked up an XT 40 w/ a .46NT yesterday and I have to admit, it's a pretty nice looking plane. I'm debating over whether it would be nicer to have a larger engine such as the Saito 82 or just put a pitts muffler on it. The forums above seem to deal mostly w/ the 55 engine. How's the plane w/ a pitts for the .46NT? Any pics by any chance?

-Rob
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
sthill

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you will like the Pulse XT40 as much as I do. I put an OS 46AX in it mounted upright swinging a 11x5 prop and couldn't be happier. I considered the .55 but am glad I picked the .46 as it balanced out of the box and has good vertical (maybe not totally unlimited but very good). Also, the tank that comes with the Pulse isn’t huge and with a .46 I get just about 10 min so I would suspect a .55 would decrease that a bit.
A couple of recommendations when finishing:

1) Fill the holes in the firewall that are for e-flite and seal the firewall with thinned down epoxy
2) Beef up the landing gear mount with some triangle balsa stock from the inside
3) Replace the tail wheel with a Sullivan tail wheel
4) PLEASE replace the axels! The Hangar 9 ones are terrible and ended my day early on Sunday as one came unscrewed even after thread lock and CA. I will be installing dubro axels shortly.

Other than that, a really FUN plane to fly that is very honest. I’m positive you will enjoy this purchase!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Spoofer

Thanks for the tips. Mine is pretty much built, but I am going to follow your suggestions before I am finished.

If any one has links to these, I would appreciate it!
3) Replace the tail wheel with a Sullivan tail wheel
4) PLEASE replace the axels! The Hangar 9 ones are terrible and ended my day early on Sunday as one came unscrewed even after thread lock and CA. I will be installing dubro axels shortly.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
davidbarth

Well here's my 2C
I've been flying the pulse XT for over a year now, crashed one after about 70 flights with a vertically mounted (external) OS46AX. great plane, plenty of power for intermediate skills.
2nd one I inverted the same engine and installed it in the cowl. thight fit, but very attractive. as with any IN-Cowl install, you have to worry about every little install detail, from the fueler (I recommend the dubro, the great planes just stinks), the muffler vent, all screws being very tight (thread locked), the remote igniter (head lock) or cutting multiple holes in the beautiful cowl, for the igniter, the low and high speed adjustments, the muffler bolts, etc, etc. In short, not an easy job for a new intermediate or even some experienced builders because there is smply no room to play with in such a tight cowl, and every time something goes wrong, you have to dismantle the whole thing to get inside (spinner, prop nuts, muffler, cowl, etc, etc.) not fun at the field.
and while I'm at it. NEVER AGAIN will I break in a new engine inside a cowl, as it will get WAAAY too hot (no air moving over the head). so break in the engine on a test stand or before you fit the cowl, so you don't burn up the piston and risk a bad seating.
so simply put, FORGET internally (inverted) mounting anything like the saito 82, AX55, or others, as you will likely chop up most of the cowl, or vibrate the rest to shreds. The 46AX is PERFECT for this plane. Mount it, fly it, love it.
If you want more power, buy a plane designed for it, but wait till you've done everything you can with the pulse. I bet it will take you longer than you think to master every pattern this plane will perform.
GOOD LUCK
DB
Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 PM
davidbarth

BY THE WAY
Heres a few pics of my build[img][/img]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Om32385.pdf (115.0 KB, 46 views)
Pk30979.pdf (110.2 KB, 31 views)
Am31772.pdf (115.0 KB, 38 views)
Lh18622.pdf (110.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
LilZilla27645

I'm sure this will be a plane I spend a lot of time flying and learning on. I have to admit, your plane w/ the inverted engine looks pretty damn good. I may go ahead and get the pitts muffler (wopping $40) and give that a try w/ a new cowling. Thanks for the 2C.

Sthill - Thanks for the advise on the different things you've found. I'll keep them in mind. I'm sure I'll be looking for a larger fuel tank as well. Comes w/ a little 11oz. I'll have to see what I can fit in there.

Thanks again for the replys.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
davidbarth

you know, I had tried the slimline pits muffler on the 46AX (inverted in cowl) and found that the vent plug was exactly in the wrong spot (I would have had to hack away some of the firewall to make the plug and vent line go thru the firewall)
so I returned it, saved the $50, used the stock OS muffler and have been happy as a clam. Much simpler. (simple is good)
Make sure to stuff any tank fully with foam (all around it) so it can't budge.
If you fly like I do, that thing is going to want to move around.
DB
Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Picked up a Pulse XT 40 the other weekend! Bought a new OS 55ax to go on her too. This will be my first glow plane, but I do have 5 electrics (3d included) so this should be a nice stable FAST flying bird. I can't wait!!!

Also picked up a sullivan tail wheel, balsa reinforcement for LG and a bunch of fuel adapters. I'm going to use the kwik fuel adapter but cap one end so i can simply plug in my electric fuel pump running off one of my many 3s lipos. Should be a good setup. Went with cheaper (but still 5/5 on hundreds of reviews) $6 6.5kg servos from hobbycity. I've put many orders through them and they're amazing for the price. 6200 on my DX6i w/ 6v to servos. Picked up some 10% Omega to run in her. When it warms up again I'll run a tank through her to break in.

I'll try and post a vid sometime. Common spring!!!

Anyone tried mounting the engine on its side or inverted? I'm thinking I might just go upright since it's my first glow engine (in a plane that is). Is it much more work to side mount it though? Or how come everyone hasn't done that? Better fuel draw?

Eganwp
Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

they do very well with the engine vertical
Old 08-04-2010, 03:47 PM
toddzhere2

I purchased my second Pulse xt40 and I am looking to mount the engine inverted. When I was searching threads on the Pulse to see if anyone has been doing it I noticed that you had answered that they do very well. Do you have a Pulse with the engine inverted? I am looking to mount an OS 55AX in it. The carb appears to be much lower than the center line of the fuel tank with the engine mounted almost inverted so the exhaust is on the bottom. Will this cause any fuel draw or tuning issues? Do you have to run throttle cable instead of solid linkage because of the new carb placement?

The plane fly’s well with the engine upright but I hate cleaning the oils off the wing and side of the plane after every flight. I don't mind the extra work remounting the engine as long as the flight characteristics are the same and there aren't any tuning issues.

I notice you have several posts so any knowledge you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Can you forward to [email protected]?

Thank you and good flying
Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd...I think you'd be better off mounting the engine with the cylinder at 8 o'clock (when viewed from the front )
That way the muffler outlet will end up being right along the center-line of the bottom of the fuselage. (The H9 Saratoga has such a set-up )

I recently mod. a Pulse 25 to use a Thunder Tiger .28 and set it up as recommended above...cyl. @ 8 o'clock.

That puts the carb in a much better relationship to the tank center-line.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 PM
toddzhere2

I had planed to mount it with the muffler exiting the bottom similar to the Toledo and Saratoga. In that position, it looks like the spray bar is about 1/4 below the center line of the tank. I will simply drop the tank a bit by adding some foam above it. However, the linkage no longer has a direct route back to the servo. It looks like I will have to re-routed it under the tank. I have never used Dubro throttle cable. Is it as good a setup as pushrods for the throttle linkage?

Bravo on the Pulse 25 conversion. I have a pulse 25e as well with about 150 flights on it. I have a thunder tiger pro 36 that would be perfect. did you have to do any major reiforcing or did you just add some thickness to the firewall?