Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM
madmanmikie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel question

Can I run Coolpower 15% senthetic 4 cycle fuel in a 100 satio 4 stroke and also a .91 magnum 4 stroke engine?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: fuel question

If it is all synthetic, put 2-4 oz of castor oil in the fuel and you can run it in either engine.

Some Cool Power four stroke fuel already has castor oil in it. But it will say so on a little sticker on the shoulder of the jug.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My instructor ran nothing but synthetic oil fuels. I hadn't learned to tune my Mag 52 four stroke yet and I had a lot of stalls on the way to the flight line. I was running Omega 15% and he would grumble about "smelling Castor". The next comment would be about the engine. Finally I told him "what I have is what I have". Several planes later, I am still flying Omega 15%. Still smells like castor when I start my engines, but there is nothing like pulling one out that hasn't run in a year, didn't have a drop of after run in it, ever and puttting it on a new plane and have it kick off with less that a second of starter.

I tried Cool Power, made by the same company that Omega is, and I just didn't like it. I burnt about 1/3 of a gallon and the rest sets on my shelf. This is me talking, but I believe the castor give you a better lube, especally if you are running a little lean.

THere has been a number of threads on the qualitys of synthetic vs castor lube. More than you will ever want to read. When the day is done though, the differences between Cool Power and Omega is about wherether 4%, or there abouts, of the fuel is synthetic or castor. Oh yes whether it is green or pink. Color asside, for all practical purposes they are the same. I still like the pink one thuogh.

Don
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: w8ye

If it is all synthetic, put 2-4 oz of castor oil in the fuel and you can run it in either engine.

Some Cool Power four stroke fuel already has castor oil in it. But it will say so on a little sticker on the shoulder of the jug.
Cool Power, acording to Morgan web site is pure synthetic oil and Omega is a blend ranging form 2-98 to 50-50 depending on the blend.

http://www.morganfuel.com/omega_blends.htm
and
http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_blends.htm

Don
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM
w8ye

I agree with you about what the web site says about Cool Power. But I've seen 4 stroke Cool Power jugs at the hobby shop with the little sticker on them that talks about a synthetic/castor blend. I think there is also 4 stroke Cool Power that is all synthetic.

I'm wondering if the Cool Power 4 stroke fuel with the multiviscosity is the one with castor?

I've never used Cool Power myself.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Campgems

w8ye, Like I said, I tried a gallon of the Cool Power and 1/3 the way through, my engine was running really bad and one day, attempting to fuel the plane, the pump seem to have gone nuts. Turns out the pickup line in the Jug had rotted from the clunk to the fuel line. It was crumbling and took me for ever to get the clunk out of the jug. I replumbed my fuel pump and switched back to the Omega and haven't looked back since.

A couple years back, I bought a bunch of kits, wood and "stuff" from a guy getting out of the hobby. Included was a case of Tower 15% Pink fuel. The stuff must have been close to six years old best I can figure from or club membership and the lables. Checking around, I was told the Tower and the Morgan fuels were one in the same. I burnt the whole case with only a slight drop in performanc on the last couple tanks from each jug. Nothing bad, just a llittle slugish. I've pushed another case through my planes since. All Omega. Hey, this should get me some kind of discount for all the advertising I just did for them.

Don
Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
jeffie8696

OK what manufacturers use weight and not volume to determine their percentages? If you use weight you are getting less oil than volume. And why don't they list it on the jug?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Check this out, I've been a WildCat customer since 1991 and have never lost a bearing to rust or wear since.

http://www.wildcatfuels.com/specs.htm WildCat, Coopers, PowerMaster and S&W are very open about what's in their fuels.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
jeffie8696

I accept their use of volume to blend their fuel. I will have to look into them. [8D]
Now any other manufacturers posting the same.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Check this out, I've been a WildCat customer since 1991 and have never lost a bearing to rust or wear since.

http://www.wildcatfuels.com/specs.htm WildCat, Coopers, PowerMaster and S&W are very open about what's in their fuels.
I haven't been using Wildcat as long as Hobbsy, but I don't plan to use anything else, unless I am forced to!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 PM
w8ye

I have two cases of Wildcat Super Premium 15% that I'm about to start on any day now.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:25 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696
..what manufacturers use weight and not volume to determine their percentages?
Byron is the only one I've heard of that does this and evaporation tests done by a few people seem to bear this out. With methanol having an SG of near enough 0.8, oil being very close to 1 and nitro at 1.14 it can make a large difference in the actual volumes.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
mike109

G'day Someone here is Oz was selling fuel mixed by volume. I can't remember who it was. So I did some sums and it turns out that if you mix by weight and not volume (as is more normal, or what most people expect) because of the higher specific gravity of Nitro (1.14 kg/l, and lower SG of Methanol (0.79 kg/l) and with oil being approx 1 kg/l, a 10 nitro, 20 oil, 70 methanol mix made by weight is actually (in volumetric terms) approximately 7.5% nitro, 17.1% oil and 75.3% methanol. There is a rounding error in there of 0.1%. Moral of the story - don't buy fuel mixed by weight unless you do the sums and know what you are really getting.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM
jeffie8696

That is my point exactly! Methanol is cheap so if you mix by weight you are making a cheap fuel that is low on nitro and oil (the most important parts) but
"by law" you are labeling it correctly. . I just think we should all know what we are getting. I use SIG fuel and all castor at that. I KNOW I am getting good fuel.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
madmanmikie

Hello to everyone who responded, and thanks for the info. My question was answered, and so I will burn up the castor synthectic blended Coolpower fuel and switch over to Wildcat fuel after that. I also have added 2 more oz. of castor oil to the blend of fuel. It has 17% of castor already so now i figure the blend should be aleast 18%. Thank again
Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good deal Mikey, glad we could help.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM
jeffie8696

Gotta love Castor. You just can't go wrong with it. Unless you ignore your engines for months at a time. A little squirt of after run oil and forget it. I use inexpensive spray can Liquid Wrench.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:23 AM
pc55bomber

ORIGINAL: madmanmikie

Hello to everyone who responded, and thanks for the info. My question was answered, and so I will burn up the castor synthectic blended Coolpower fuel and switch over to Wildcat fuel after that. I also have added 2 more oz. of castor oil to the blend of fuel. It has 17% of castor already so now i figure the blend should be aleast 18%. Thank again
How did this get into a fuel brand discussion.
We run coolpower blue straight synthetic oil in every engine we own, so YES you can run coolpower without any fears at all, have done for over 15 years.
The only consideration IMHO is climate, we fly at sea level, humid hot climate.
This is the % of Coolpower used: (Nitro 5%)

Saito 60, 91, 120, 150, 180 - 16%
Enya 53's (Twin) - 15%
2 strokes < 20cc - 20%
Big 2 Strokes >20cc - 10%

Bearings last about 10 years with no afterrun added.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Paul