Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger 4 stroke and 30% oil???

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger 4 stroke and 30% oil???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger 4 stroke and 30% oil???

A friend has a Thunder Tiger F-75 4 stroke that has never seemed to produce the power that a 75 should. In talking with him, he tells me that he is running fuel with 30% oil. (He adds oil to bring it up to 30%) He said that is what the instructions called for. I looked up the manual for the engine on the 'net and sure enough, it calls for 30% oil and 15%-20% nitro. That 30 % oil seems to me to be way excessive. It seems that with that much oil in the fuel there is that much less nitro and methenol for the engine to burn, hence less power produced. So having never owned a Thuder Tiger myself, I ask all those of you that do own them; do you run fuel with 30% oil or do you use the 18% or 20% stuff that the rest of us use.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thunder Tiger 4 stroke and 30% oil???

I'll bet that if you ran a tank of Omega 15% through it, it would purr like a kitten. That's about as rich an oil mix as there is, and it's 18% oil with a mix of castor and synthetic.

I'm guessing that 30% oil was just for break in. My Magnum recomended 20%. I mixed a gallon of fuel three years ago and use it for the first three or four tanks in new engines. I'll bet it ready to become a weed killer now though.

Don
Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 PM
djlyon

I think their manual has a slight misprint, mixing up the 30 and 20.

They recommend running it on 30% oil and breaking it in on 20% oil.

Denis

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM
XJet
Banned

That section of the manual is a mess!

A good quality, commercially available fuel containing 30% oil and 10-15% nitro is recommended for use in Thunder Tiger four-stroke engine. Fuels containing a blend of both castor and synthetic oils is best. Fuels containing only castor oil are not recommended! (But during hte[sic] break-in period, it is better for the fuel containing at least 20% lubrication oil)
So in that little lot we're told to use 30% oil but 20% for break-in. Duh?

Given the spelling mistakes and bad grammar, it would appear that TT has gotten someone working in the company cafeteria to write the instructions for this engine.

Just break it in with 20% oil and switch to a good quality 2-stroke fuel with a castor/synth blend.

I run my TT91FS on a fuel with 12% Coopers Plus C oil and 10% nitro, it runs very, very nicely with that and has clocked up a few hours now without any wear or other issues.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a Thunder Tiger .75 4-stroke and it runs fine on Omega 10% or 15% standard fuel. I normally bump the oil content up a little during a bench break-in, but I think that 30% isway too much for normal running. We used to run the older 4-strokes on 12%-14% oil fuel.

I agree with the other answer. Buy some regular 10% or 15% and run a gallon through the engine. See how it runs after that.