Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Awesome New Diesel Head Conversion

Old 08-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Awesome New Diesel Head Conversion

I have a Davis Deisel head for my OS .61FSR. I have not run the conversion basically for lack of knowledge about operating this engine with the head. I also have the OS .61FSR GS-A2 geared engine. Does anyone have experience with the FSR deisel conversion? Some pros and cons would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Diesel

Rob the fuel consumption of a model Diesel is considerably better than a glow engine, I've seen claims here of 20 minutes from an 8 oz. tank. You prop them down to the 8,000 to 8,500 rpm range with the throttle about 80% open. I use a 16 oz. tank to run Diesels in a test stand and rarely fill it above 2/3 and can run most engines over 40 minutes. The compression adjustment is used to adjust the compression for starting a cold engine, lowering it to start a hot engine, different prop loads, large props less compression and small props higher compression, and to a small degree adjust the European style Diesel for ambient temperature changes. The Davis conversions rarely need adjustment after the initial setup unless you change props or there is a dramatic change in the ambient temperature. They run on a mixture of kerosene, ether, and ignition enhancer, and lube, castor mostly. As for longevity, I can only say that my most run Diesel, a SuperTigre .51 conversion is still going strong after being a US Aircore Knight Hawk and Colt 40 my second and third trainers and a Kombat Kopter. It still turns a 12x6 three blade in the 8,800 rpm range.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:26 PM
maxtenet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome New Diesel Head Conversion

This info written by Ed Carlson will give you a good idea of how to begin and what to expect. He also sells a lot of diesels.

http://www.carlsonengineimports.com/...eselinfo.shtml

Max
Old 08-24-2003, 01:32 PM
FrancisPerson

Default Diesel conversion results

Robby & aquilajohn,

Check out my post @

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...21&forumid=245

Oily in Germantown
Franciss
Old 12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Hobbsy

Default RE: Diesel conversion results

I re-ran the TT .42 with the Teo head using Davis Oily Mix and a Graupner 12x5 getting 11,490 rpm with compression screw set midway of it's travel and the airbleed screw halfway across the hole. For some reason the RedMax was not the right fuel for this engine. The idle was much better with the Davis fuel at about 2,100 and the top rpm was rock steady in 35 degree weather.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:56 PM
wldcwbypilot

Default RE: Diesel conversion results

Has anyone come across a large bore head for a 2.18 MDS? I would be interested in converting a large one for use on a 120 stinger or 25% Edge.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:28 PM
mmuntner

Default RE: Awesome New Diesel Head Conversion

It happens that I am (and have been, since 1948 AD, and the Deezil "A") a bona-fide Diesel nut case.

I have TWO brand new Mecoa .46s (same as your LEO .46) and only one Davis head between them. I would be very pleased to acquire one of your heads, would you please contact me regarding price and shipping.

I am : Morton H. Muntner

502 West Sandra Terrace
Phoenix, AZ 85023

email: [email protected]

Anticipating your affirmative reply, I had better start breaking in these two little jewels on Glow-plug. TODAY!

Best regards,

Morty.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:53 PM
mmuntner

Default RE: Diesel smoke

ORIGINAL: hobbsy

I've got a TT .42 GP coming, my first Taiwan engine, some Diesel concentrate from RedMax to mix with some BioDiesel that I bought over a year ago and a RMTeo head to try. The concentrate is 65% ether, 30% castor and 5% ignition enhancer, I believe mixing a quart of this with two quarts of the bio fuel will make a fuel of about 20% ether, 10% lube and 1.5% enhancer. I actually got the bio to fire a few times in my Fox .74 conversion without anything added but had the compression maxed out. It smelled like Pam getting hot in a skillet and made a visible puff of smoke. If someone would like to refine my percentages, go for it. The bio has plenty of lubricity of its own, hence the 10% lube. Any thoughts welcome. I am going to order some Davis concentrate also, in the interest of science. Talk to me.
Way too little ether and lube! what you really want is about 33% ether, 20% total real lubricant (Heavy-duty like castor oil, in a bushed-bearinged engine like your TT). Just add just ONE QUART of either kerosene or aromatic lamp oil. That will leave you with 20% castor oil, 32.5% ether, 2.5% cetane agent (ignition improver), a generally recommended mix for any but very small engines which are deemed to require more ether.

Whoever told you that a sport engine would run well or even survive for very long on the ratio you mentioned must have been thinking that you wanted to fly in FAI team racing.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Hobbsy

Default RE: RE: Diesel conversion results

That is plenty of oil when used with soybean oil. And it appeared to be too much ether because I couldn't get the compression low enough for the bio mix. However it ran great with Davis oily mix and RedMax Plain bearing fuel. I don't think you read my post close enough.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:25 AM
mmuntner

ORIGINAL: hobbsy

I've got a TT .42 GP coming, my first Taiwan engine, some Diesel concentrate from RedMax to mix with some BioDiesel that I bought over a year ago and a RMTeo head to try. The concentrate is 65% ether, 30% castor and 5% ignition enhancer, I believe mixing a quart of this with two quarts of the bio fuel will make a fuel of about 20% ether, 10% lube and 1.5% enhancer. I actually got the bio to fire a few times in my Fox .74 conversion without anything added but had the compression maxed out. It smelled like Pam getting hot in a skillet and made a visible puff of smoke. If someone would like to refine my percentages, go for it. The bio has plenty of lubricity of its own, hence the 10% lube. Any thoughts welcome. I am going to order some Davis concentrate also, in the interest of science. Talk to me.

I know that I'm sticking my neck out and practically appearing to beg for another (however mild) insult, but here goes anyhow...

Just based on the usual practice of using about 30%+ ether content, don't you suppose that...

Omigawd, I think he's gonna hit me again! ...

Mort.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
maxtenet

Whatever happened to rmteo1?

Max