Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

crankcase oil...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default crankcase oil...

Lately I started running the crankcase vent line into a small tank on my test stand. I was tired of cleaning all the goop off my test bench after hours of running glow 4 strokes.

Anyone else try this? It is quite amazing how much oil exits the case of a decent sized (1.00 to 2.00 cubic inches) engine! It would be easy to rig up a small tank (like a 4 or 6 ounce fuel tank) to collect the oil in a model, to prevent the oil from exhausting all over the bottom of the fuse. You'd just have to remember to empty it

AJC

Old 09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: crankcase oil...

Hey AJ, how are you? I may give that a try just for kicks, the picture is of the first lube to exit my Saito 1.15, you can see the black facroty grease in the oil. That oak board is about 30 inches long and the oil from a typical 16 oz run will reach the other end of board.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24240.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1036167  
Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Spetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engines with the oil vent in them, do they get oil coming out of the exhaust as well or not?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Spetz

The engines with the oil vent in them, do they get oil coming out of the exhaust as well or not?
Hey Hobbsy, I am doing great! How are you?

Spetz, all the model 4 strokes using mixed fuel (pretty much anything common) will exhaust unburnt oil out the muffler just like any 2 stroke. However, the oil I am talking about is the stuff thatgets blown by the piston and collects in the crankcase. Its suprising how much can come out of even a smaller (like .70 to 1.00) engine through the course of a 10 or 15 minute run.

AJC
Old 09-20-2008, 05:00 AM
Spetz

Yeah but if it didn't come out of the crankcase, eventually it would come out of the muffle so it must at the very least minimise some oil coming out of the muffler?
Oil is very annoying
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Jezmo

Hello AJ,

I was surprised at how much less oil comes out of the case on my Saito 180 as compared to my Saito 91. The 91 puts out what I consider a normal amount as compared to other folks 91's. The 180 puts out a fair amount of oil but it's less than half of what the 91 does even though the 180 is using probably twice the fuel.

Just thought you might find that interesting. Have a great day.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Jex, I have an RCV .58 and it is another one that really spews oil out the vent, they recommend 16% lube that is at least 3% castor. I've also ran 18% in it a time two and and oil floods out of the vent.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I just recently bought my first Saito and and had previously only ran magnum 4 strokes that have the return feed of the crankcase oil. I forgot about the vent on the saito and after my first couple of flights I couldnt believe how slimed my plane was. It was on a profile and I ended up having to remount the tank and do a thorough cleaning all around.

Why doesnt the saito use tha return feed like the magnums do? It seems like a no brainer.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I was surprised at how much came out of the crankcase of my 82. I rigged up a catch can during the forty minute run in time. If I remember right, it had about 12 oz of blow by in it at the end of the run.
Great running engine now.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:45 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: WMB

I was surprised at how much came out of the crankcase of my 82. I rigged up a catch can during the forty minute run in time. If I remember right, it had about 12 oz of blow by in it at the end of the run.
Great running engine now.
Yes, but the first 10 minutes of running in with a Saito requires them to be set so rich that you often have to keep the glow heater on to avoid them stopping.

They literally pump massive amounts of fuel through themselves and that naturally results in huge amounts of oil being fired out the breather and also the exhaust.

Once they're broken in and you cut the oil ratio back somewhat they're not too bad. My Saito 82 and 100 spew *less* exhaust oil than any of my 2-strokes and I run the crankcase breather tube down one leg of the undercarriage so that oil misses the plane completely.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spetz,

Yes, the oil vented out the case breather may be annoying, but it is only the excess of the oil bleeding down into the case to keep those parts lubricated. The fact that some does come out the breather is evidence that oil IS being supplied for bottom end lube. ...and that enough oil gets there to replace the amount that goes out the breather.

There are ways to "capture" the breather dripping and reduce the mess in the model. It is an added maintenance item to check and empty any catch tank, but if it keeps the model cleaner, that seems better, to me, than running an engine without lube to the bottom end...