Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Any reviews on the Thunder Tiger 4 strokes?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Any reviews on the Thunder Tiger 4 strokes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Blazer1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reviews on the Thunder Tiger 4 strokes?

I am needing a .90+ for stroke for a plane, and since the huge Saito price increase , I am exploring other options. Anyone run a Thunder Tiger 4 stroke, what do you think?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 PM
beppeVRCS

Default RE: Any reviews on the Thunder Tiger 4 strokes?

I had a very pleasant experience with the .54. Long break-in, thou!
Beppe
Old 11-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I"ve got a TT 91, but I've yet to run it. From a $ standpoint, it really hard to beat the Magnum 91. I have two of them, two 70's and a 52. I also have a 52 O.S. All great running engines. Both the 91 and the 70 started right out of the box and ran quite well during my three tank breakin before flying. The 70 started giving me fits and most of it was due to the "experienced flyers" tuning instructions. The 70's carb is different in that the mix control screws out to a stop, not in. I really got things screwed up following teh advise. Once I went back and read the manual and got things back to the factory start point, it tuned quite easy and has given me almost three years of good service now.

Don

Old 11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Blazer1

This is in comparison to a Satio so power verses weight is a big concern. I am sure it does not beat the Saito in this regard but how badly does stack up?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
carrellh

I do not know if the published weights are real. If so there is a 4 to 6 ounce difference.

According to Ace Hobby http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR9801.htm the TT weighs 25.7 ounces without muffler. The TT manual (there is a link on the Ace page) says the 25.7 number includes the muffler.

According to Horizon http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIE091S the Saito weighs 19.6 ounces without muffler.

I've only seen one TT91 and it was on a 60 size P-39 ARF. I do not know what the plane weighed but it definitely had unlimited vertical and it climbed fast. The owner is no longer in our club but he loved the engine and never had any problems with it.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Blazer1

The weight is a BIG issue as this is going in a 3D light airframe. I would really like to know how accurate those published weights are. If the TT four strokes are that much heavier than Saito that will eliminate them as a possibility.[]
Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
XJet
Banned

The TT91FS is a very powerful engine (a match for my Saito 100) but it is a *lot* heavier and I wouldn't really recommend it for a 3D ship.

I use my TT91FS in a warbird which is the best place for them.

The TT75FS however, is a good little 3D powerplant, being as light as your average 46 2-stroke.

If you're looking for an alternative to the Saito then the Magnum/ASP 91 is probably your only really cost-effective choice. They're certainly not as powerful as a Saito but (especially if you score a deal) they're pretty cheap.

What you' really have to decide is whether it's better to take a cheaper option that will always leave you wishing you had a little more power, or whether you save a little longer and buy a Saito :-)

And don't forget the second-hand option. There are often some pretty good low-hours Saito 100s out there that can be had for a lot less than new price and they're not a hard to maintain with spares being reasonably priced so even if it needs a set of bearings or gaskets you'll still come out ahead.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TT .91 weigh's just under 26 ounce's with the muffler and just under 25 ounces without. My scale is not real accurate and only goes to 1/8 ounces but I believe it is 25.7 ounces with muffler.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:00 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Thunder Tiger F-91s is the only engine in the four stroke line-up that is heavier than the competition. The F-54s and the F-75s are very similar in weight to Saitos of similar displacement.

The TT F-91s is no slouch with regard to power, but it is quite simply the heaviest .91 4-stroke sold. If you need a lightweight engine, you'll have to spend the money on the Saito as comparable O.S. Max and Magnum 4-strokes are only two to three ounces lighter than the Thunder Tiger F-91s.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:39 PM
kochj

what about the claimed The XC2 extreme composite coating with nano-technology from Japan????
Anyone educated on this matter??? THe TT site does not talk about it on there 4-strokes but their ad in a magazine says it has it....
Like there .53 Redline heli engine....

Curious what they cost and if anyone has had any of them...

Old 11-15-2008, 01:10 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: kochj

what about the claimed The XC2 extreme composite coating with nano-technology from Japan????
Anyone educated on this matter??? THe TT site does not talk about it on there 4-strokes but their ad in a magazine says it has it....
Like there .53 Redline heli engine....

Curious what they cost and if anyone has had any of them...

Sounds like anodizing (again) to me :-)

Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 AM
kochj

Is that what is one the OS 4-strokes/??? the stuff that wears off??
Old 11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
chistech

I currently have a TT 91 for sale because I am not flying anything that size anymore. If I was, it would be the last motor I would sell. I have OS, Saitos, and this TT. I found I liked the TT more than the others. It is very easy to start, very powerful, and nowhere near a finicky on the needle settings as my Saitos can be. I used it in a CMP Corsair and it was my favorite bird to fly. It was my least favorite on landings and take-offs though. Got tired of the nose overs and breaking the vertical fin so I sold it to a restaraunt as a hanger without the motor.