Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 32F Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:00 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 32F Questions

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

I tend to think that a better heat-sink head is needed for 3D flight, than for normal, sport flying.

...But maybe, a heli head, which is designed to convect heat sufficiently with virtually no airflow, may be an 'overshot'...

It could cause an engine to run cooler than necessary; potentially hurting its response and transition.

Actually both me and "yallaair" are running OS Hyper .50 heliheads on our ASP XLS 52`s and it works GREAT for 3-D flying. It also releases a few hundred more rpm`s. For us there`s no way the stock heads are coming back on
Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For hot days and hovering, I bet the heli head are a help. I’ve heard a few engines start to sag when hanging on the prop a while, especially when the fuel is getting farther away the longer it runs
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
fcomer84

Well, I have bought a nearly new Magnum .32! From what info I can find, it too is a strong engine. One fella said it was the best engine Magnum ever made.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM
ken
My Feedback: (27)

Hey there. I am considering using my .50 O.S. SX Hyper on an airplane. How do i mount the propeller?. Normally the propeller rest against a thrust plate. Heli motors dont come with them.
Thanks. ken
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Konrad
Banned

Let me add my 2 cents. The OS 32F-H is a great sport engine. I still have one in my collection. For aircraft work the low speed often results in a rich mid range. If you have issues with the mid range and transition, I seem to recall that the low speed needle for aircraft version cured a lot of these problems as it offered a leaner mid range.

The ST 34 was a little better as she had a thicker cylinder mounting flange stayed rounder under the heat and pressure (see attached ST 32 on the left). I have to say that the Webra Red head 32 was better than both the OS and ST. Allot of this can be attributed to the higher exhaust timing (I used tuned exhaust systems on my helicopters). The Webra Red Head was more in the same class as the OS 32 SX. I still liked the Webra Red Head over the SX.

For sport 5 cc aircraft I still think the earlier Webra 32 (real chrome plating) is hard to beat. But the ringed OS 32 is a very close second may be third.

As most heli cooling fans are of the centrifugal type most Debra is flung to the very out side of the gas path and away from the carb inlet. I have to say I've always been surprised at how little FOD one finds inside a heli engine. Particularly since she spends so much time close to the ground near that deadly dust.

Ken,
Most heli engines do come with a drive washer. It is some of the purpose built car engines that don't have the drive washer. Can you post a photo of your concern?

For some reason the moderators what me to credit all the drawing and photos I post. So other than 2 pictures of an OS FX and AX 61, all drawing and photos I have posted on this site are by the author, me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23618.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1528232  
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Konrad

Let me add my 2 cents. The OS 32F-H is a great sport engine. I still have one in my collection. For aircraft work the low speed often results in a rich mid range. If you have issues with the mid range and transition, I seem to recall that the low speed needle for aircraft version cured a lot of these problems as it offered a leaner mid range.

The ST 34 was a little better as she had a thicker cylinder mounting flange stayed rounder under the heat and pressure (see attached ST 32 on the left). I have to say that the Webra Red head 32 was better than both the OS and ST. Allot of this can be attributed to the higher exhaust timing (I used tuned exhaust systems on my helicopters). The Webra Red Head was more in the same class as the OS 32 SX. I still liked the Webra Red Head over the SX.

For sport 5 cc aircraft I still think the earlier Webra 32 (real chrome plating) is hard to beat. But the ringed OS 32 is a very close second may be third.

As most heli cooling fans are of the centrifugal type most Debra is flung to the very out side of the gas path and away from the carb inlet. I have to say I've always been surprised at how little FOD one finds inside a heli engine. Particularly since she spends so much time close to the ground near that deadly dust.

Ken,
Most heli engines do come with a drive washer. It is some of the purpose built car engines that don't have the drive washer. Can you post a photo of your concern?

All pictures are from my collection.

Not to be a contrarian, but my OS .32F-H came with the gear to run a prop. My OS .32 SX-H and my OS .37 SZ-H did not. I fly my heli engines on helis and fun-fjy models. I love-em!!!

Ed Cregger
Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ken,

Not to be a contrarian, but my OS .32F-H came with the gear to run a prop. My OS .32 SX-H and my OS .37 SZ-H did not. I fly my heli engines on helis and fun-fjy models. I love-em!!!

Ed Cregger
Not contrarian at all. Like I said "most".
Good to know about the other OS's, not that I'd have spent any time to detail those engines Is the nose of those crankshafts able to accept a collet and drive washer from some other OS engine?

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ken,

Ed Cregger
Not contrarian at all. Like I said ''most''.
Good to know about the other OS's, not that I'd have spent any time to detail those engines Is the nose of those crankshafts able to accept a collet and drive washer from some other OS engine?

All the best,
Konrad

Yes, the airplane parts for the .32 SX engine fits all of its SX-H brethren, IIRC.

Ed Cregger