Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Too much compression?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:40 AM
andrewtexas123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much compression?

Ok so I took my plane down to the field but couldnt get it to start. Tryed every put prop just after compression and got the starter to spin the placed it onto the spiner but it just didnt have enough torque to get it going. New starter and new bettery with it..

Any thing I can do It ease the comprestion? Would a crash effect something in the engine mayby somethings bent inside so its hard to turn over. Should I rebuild the motor?

OS65LA

Andrew
Old 12-25-2008, 02:58 AM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Too much compression?

I doubt excessive compression is your problem especially if it was run successfully before. A crash? Possibly your crankshaft is bent.

Bill
Old 12-25-2008, 03:14 AM
huck1199

Was it flooded? Hydro lock can make it very hard to turn over; can bend or break a rod.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:29 AM
andrewtexas123

Probibly crankshaft then. Not flooded for sure!!!

Thanks
Andrew
Old 12-25-2008, 05:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Andrew I suspect the battery on your starter
Old 12-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had that problem with two (out of several) Tower 40's. Taking the glow plug out would allow them to turn over. I took my dremel to a head and cut a bunch of metal out of it to make a low compression head. After one run with the low compression head, the engines were fine with a normal head. I do not understand what the deal was, but I got it fixed anyway.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preheat the engine and all the problems of a new tight engine will go away and make start-up easy

Just what engine are we talking about here??
Old 12-25-2008, 10:41 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Just to be sure, disconnect the fuel tubing from the carb and remove the glow plug. Apply the electric starter to the spinner but make sure you are leaning back away from the engine in case a bunch of fuel sprays out. This will clear any flooding - if that's the problem.

While the plug is out hold it on your glow starter to make sure it glows bright orange.

Put the plug back in, reconnect the tubing and make sure your needle valve is open about 2 1/2 to 3 turns. Put your finger over the carb opening - without the glow starter attached - and flip the prop by hand until you see fuel come up the tubing and into the carb. Remove your finger and flip a few more times.

Turn the prop backward - clockwise - until it's against compression. Attach the glow starter and bump the spinner with your electric starter.

If this doesn't work you probably have a low or dead glow starter, a bad plug or old fuel.

David
Old 12-25-2008, 12:15 PM
asmund

If your engine is in proper condition you should not even need the electric starter. Prime it and back flip it and it should run[8D]
Old 12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He said he wrecked it recently. It's VERY possible it's got a bent crank.

I think he needs to send it in for service or have a qualified gear head take it apart and check it out before he attempts to start it again. Honestly, I can't believe you guys are telling him to "charge the starter battery, take the glow plug out and spin it over at high speed with a starter, and preheat it to remove the pinch"

Ram Jet is the only one that got it right.

To the original poster:
You live in California. Contact FLYBOY DAVE and see if he will help you. He lives in San Bernardino and is an engine expert. He straightens cranks FREE!!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...fm?memid=28315

It may not be bent, but it's better to KNOW than keep trying to start it after a crash and you're not really sure if it's damaged of not. If it's damaged internally and you DO get it started, that ain't gonna be good for it.

Listen to your engine. It's telling you something is wrong. Find out whats wrong with it before you attempt to start it again.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:14 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

I've run into this many times on my Saito 125. I have a low and high idle set up on the Tx and also a kill switch that positions the throttle closed. It seems to be that if the throttle can be open just enough for an idle but also enough that it produces too much compression for the starter to turn it over even with a fully charged battery.
The trick I use is to set it at low idle to start it or have the kill switch activated, as soon as its turning over with the starter I have someone turn off the kill and it starts right away.
I cant see how a bent crank will produce more compression. Hope this helps
Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 PM
rainedave

I see now where he hints that it might have been crashed in the first post.[X(] I missed that the first time I read it.

David
Old 12-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Roguedog

How about doubling up on the head gasket. Better yet maybe the head gasket is missing.

You never mention if it turns over freely without the Glow plug. If it does, maybe it's missing the gasket.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:58 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: mvallyman
I've run into this many times on my Saito 125. I have a low and high idle set up on the Tx and also a kill switch that positions the throttle closed. It seems to be that if the throttle can be open just enough for an idle but also enough that it produces too much compression for the starter to turn it over even with a fully charged battery.
This is an OS 65LA two-stroke a totally different kettle of fish.

With a 4-stroke, closing the throttle makes the engine much easier to turn over it makes virtually no difference with a 2-stroke.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 AM
Motorboy

Most likely, mechanical failure after the crash. Crankshaft can be bent or pushed into the engine crankshaft that come out against back cover.

Best to send the engine to the repair of one of your hobby dealer instead of trial and error, so make it hurt worse.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:27 AM
andrewtexas123

Guys im not stupid. "Charge your batteries" bout the stupidest response I have ever heard..

Thanks rcpiolt for the good response will send a pm to him!!

Andrew
Old 12-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Rudolph Hart

Ok i'll stick my head up.Yes you are,after me
Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 AM
rainedave

Andrew, I don't think anyone here was trying to imply you're stupid. Just trying to help.

But, like Roguedog said, if something is binding with the plug removed, then it's most likely either a bent part or a piece of foreign matter (or, a piece of the engine itself) inside the engine.

The only engine of this size that I've had trouble turning over when new was my Tower .61. But, that was due to a very tight "ABC pinch," not compression.

Let us know the diagnosis.

David
Old 07-18-2009, 03:59 PM
andrewtexas123

Back to this problem agian I left my engine alone for a while and recently mounted it on to a Sig Kadet Sr. I still cant get the engine to turn over. Does it help if I say that when I remove the low plug and use the starter it turns over nice and smooth. :?

Andrew
Old 07-18-2009, 04:41 PM
DarZeelon

Andrew,

Yes, it does help.

The OS.65LA should easily be spun with any normal electric starter, if its battery is OK.

The starter battery that you say is fully charged, could have one of its cells shorted-out and then it has only 10V, or that it is simply run-down (even a full-size battery needs to be replaced once in a while...)... The performance of the battery would be enough to spin the engine over with the glow-plug removed, but once compression has to be overcome, it will not have enough oomph...

The fact that you can turn the engine over more than hints that there isn't anything mechanically wrong with it...
I suppose you can turn the engine over, with your hand (with the plug not energized); or is this not possible?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 PM
jeffie8696

I would put on a thick leather glove and try hand starting it, I hardly ever use a starter anyway.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: andrewtexas123

Back to this problem agian I left my engine alone for a while and recently mounted it on to a Sig Kadet Sr. I still cant get the engine to turn over. Does it help if I say that when I remove the low plug and use the starter it turns over nice and smooth. :?

Andrew
Andrew, can you turn the engine over by hand smoothly with the glow plug out? Also what does the starter do? Does it slip on the spinner instead of turning over the engine with glow plug in? Be sure and fill in ALL details what is taken place when you try to turn engine over. Also is a a ABC type of engine? Thanks Capt,n