Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Four Stroke clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 PM
brillelli
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Stroke clicking

I just got a magnum 52 four stroke and it clicks. It will click 1 time every time the prop is rotated 1 relvotion. What is this noise and is it a problem? The engine is new.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Four Stroke clicking

I just bought a used Enya .46-4C and it clicks also. I have completely diassembled and cleaned the engine. Mine clicks twice each time the toe of the cam lobe raises the tappet and loweres the tappet. I think my situation is attributable to sloppy gear teeth lash in the cam drive mechanisim. I suspect that when the engine is running that the momentum of the moving parts will keep everything tight. I haven't run my engine yet.

Anyone out there know for sure.

Bill
Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its the clearance space in the valves. All pushrod type four strokes make the noise
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM
mike109

G'day Most of my four strokes do this. It is normal. As they get a bit of use and more oil collects round the cam and the tappets, the noise gets quieter but it is always there to some extent.

I usually put a bit of oil down the pushrod tubes and onto the tappet gear of new four strokes. They can be a bit dry at first. ATF oil is a good starting place or even a bit of fuel which has some castor content. ATF also makes good after run oil.

I also usually pull the back plate off new ASP and Magnum engines to check for swarf and anything that should not be there and I do a bit of oiling of the bearings and conrod bushes as well at the same time.

Enjoy your Magnum. I am about to give its cousin an ASP 91 FS its first run. If you did not know, ASP and Magnum are both made by Sanye in China and are very similar. I had a ASP 52 but sold it to a friend and replaced it with a 61 (same external size but a little more power) in my Goldberg Cub. The 52 is now powering a 16 year old Sig Kadet Senior which it does really well. The 91 is in a rebuilt Boomerang 60 trainer and should really haul it around. I rescued it from a garbage bin and rebuilt it for fun. I had an RCV 91 RC four stroke in it originally. They do not make clicking sounds because they do not have poppet valves but rather a rotary cylinder valve.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
brillelli
My Feedback: (2)

I got it started and it ran fine, couldnt hear the clicking while it was running.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

The clicking sound is from the cam teeth making contact with the crankshaft. When the tappet rides over the top of the cam lobe, spring pressure pushes the cam in opposite direction, making the "click" sound. The noise is particular to gear driven cams.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:13 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clicking sound tells you that your engine is in mint condition. If the clicking sound dissapears then I would be worried about somehing got stuck

The use of lots of castor might conseal the sound, especially if the engine is cold when turned over, but due to the whole design of a pushrod fourstroke there should/must be some clicking, you`ll never hear it once the engine is running. When it`s running it just makes music
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 AM
tassiemark

All I can say is thank heavens for RCU and these forums! I noticed last night that my brand new ASP 91fs was making the same clicking sound,traced it to the pushrods riding over the cam as has been mentioned,which apparently is nothing to worry about when new,only thing is I also have a brand new unmounted ASP 120fs that doesnt have the noise and neither did my OS 70 Ultimate or my Saito 56fs. Anyway I'm not so worried now,just gonna run in the motor and see if it sorts itself out.
Thanks for this thread tho.......

Mark
Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

+1  thankful for this thread.

I've got a new YS 110 four stroke, never really noticed any clicking until I adjusted my tappets after the initial break-in. Now it seems to click more even though the tappet clearances are on the tight side.

Fired the engine up yesterday and has as much power and is much smoother than ever before, incredibly smooth idle, great top end power. Runs like a (ticking) clock.

Tappets are called that for a reason (what I recently read)
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM
BantamTJ

Well that settles my curiosity as well. I have a Magnum .61 that  double "clicks" when rolled over by hand. My Magnum .91 on the other hand makes no audible clicking sound.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They all click, if the oil inside is thick and heavy it might dampen the clicking. All my ASP FS`s click and all my YS`s click. Nothing to worry about , it is normal due to the design of the engines