Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 62a vs OS FL 70

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 62a vs OS FL 70

I have a Saito 62a w/turbo header that's turning a 13x6 @ 9,900. Will a OS 70 FL be the same or better with the 13x6 and how does the OS run inverted with the air bleed type carb?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Saito 62a vs OS FL 70

You are trying to compare a banana with an orange - the FL70 wasn't intended to be compared with other engines nor run inverted

The FL70 was intended to be a starter four stroke to be used in a fly around sport plane and it does that very well

It will not pull like your 62
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
chistech

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is all in fun,i'm being the devils advocate.

Oranges and bananas taste good to most people.

All engines are compared to others,can't get a value otherwise.

Chistech my 62x12x6 prop at peak rpm will pull my wood and steel sawhorse with anchor chain and floorjack across the shed floor,hope that helps
Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
chistech

LOL. Honestly, why can't we compare any two engines, 2st, 4st, gas, etc. I wasn't asking if they were the same construction, quality, or size. I simply asked if it would give the same power and run inverted. Instead I got a fruit cup comparison like I didn't know what the engines were. I know that the Fl is a lower dollar ringless engine with a air bleed carb. I never mentioned would it last or be as durable as the Saito. Funny, there is always talk about 6 cylinder motors having the power of 8's and you don't hear people saying there bananas and oranges. The question was output and inverted period. The answer I was looking for was the simple " It won't pull like your 62". That was all I needed.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Harry Lagman

Chistech - you're absolutely right - you can compare different engines.

Here's an FL70 benchmark I can offer that you may wish to use as a comparo.

A club member had one mounted at the 7:30 position in a scale .40 size GeeBee - an application more demanding than this on engine reliability I can't think of right now.

Once he'd broken it in and put a fresh OS type F plug in it, this engine never let him down with a dead stick. It pulled an MA black 12 x 8 K series prop at just on 10,000 rpm static.

If you have one of these props in stock, fit it to your .62 Saito for a direct comparison.

FWIW, I don't think there will be much difference in power output between the two. IMHO, picking a winner in outright power between these two would be a dice throw.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
w8ye

OS discontinued the FL-70 apparently they were not very popular?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Chistech,
The problem with the Internet is that we do not know your expertise. Therefore the fruit comparison - which I thought was valid considering the differences in their construction.

My LHS tried to sell me a FL-70. No thanks. I bought a Saito instead. I think if you are going to spend the extra money for a 4 stroke buy one of known value. I've read of too many problems with the FL-70.

Just my two cents,
John
Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: chistech

LOL. Honestly, why can't we compare any two engines, 2st, 4st, gas, etc. I wasn't asking if they were the same construction, quality, or size. I simply asked if it would give the same power and run inverted. Instead I got a fruit cup comparison like I didn't know what the engines were. I know that the Fl is a lower dollar ringless engine with a air bleed carb. I never mentioned would it last or be as durable as the Saito. Funny, there is always talk about 6 cylinder motors having the power of 8's and you don't hear people saying there bananas and oranges. The question was output and inverted period. The answer I was looking for was the simple " It won't pull like your 62". That was all I needed.
Christech please don't be to harsh on yourself for not telling us how much you knew in the first place..perhaps the thread heading should have been "i know it won't pull(sic)like my 62??
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

OS discontinued the FL-70 apparently they were not very popular?

Just my opinion but I always thought that the 70 surpass was a better deal because it cost little more and was a proven engine. OS had built the FL to be the equal to the LA (disposable) of the fourstroke world and it was not that inexpensive in comparison to the surpass.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:08 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

True to a point. However, one could have taken the money that the OS .70FL would cost and buy either a Magnum .70 or .91 four-stroke, which had two needle carbs and a rebuildable piston/cylinder setup because they utilized a piston ring.

My airplanes could care less what name is on the side of the engine. They seem to be quite happy with a variety of engines as long as they produce enough power and keep running throughout the flight.

I love OS engines, but those folks at OS live in their own little world. The rest of the engine manufacturers of the world are catching up with them where it counts in initial price, parts cost and durability/longevity.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 PM
w8ye

The value line of OS engines like the FP, LA, & FL series of engines have always received an unfair amount of criticism
Old 01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
rcdude7

I do like the FP engines and still have over a dozen in all sizes, but they seem to have been built with longevity in mind, I think they were the last line of "entry level" engines that really were built to last the duration. There are still lots of used FP engines flying planes these days.

One good use I have found for the LA engines is control line flying, the dismal power of these engines is not a handicap here, in fact they work well.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:26 PM
w8ye

I used to have a lot of control line planes and a gaggle of Fox 35's, OS MAX S-35's, Super Tiger G21-46's, etc.

I sold them all except the ST's to one guy. There were two Magicians with OS S-35's. He stuck a LA40 with muffler on one and took both planes to the CL field. The one with the LA 40/muffler was much more powerful than the S-35 powered one which had no muffler. I was really surprised.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
rcdude7

That is cool, I had picked up a TF flightstreak ARF last year and mounted a worn .25fp on it. This was my first C/L plane since flying 1/2A way back when. I was really suprised at how hard the little .25fp would pull.

It is nice to do something other than R/C to keep the hobby from getting stale. I hope to fly my streak this 3-day weekend if the temp gets above freezing, maybe monday, if I'm lucky.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95724.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1112926  
Old 01-17-2009, 05:22 PM
w8ye

I built several Flite Streaks. 32oz with transparent Monokote/OS MAX S35 and no wheel. You could fly a whole tank and never move your feet.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I can imagine hearing the thoughts of R/C pilots that have never flown control line:

"How can that be any fun? You only have one controllable surface!"

Folks, you really don't understand flying until there is a direct physical link between you and the airplane. You can actually feel the wing beginning to stall through the control lines in some situations. The effects of wind on your model are not only a threat, but it can be used to your maneuvering advantage if you are attentive.

A month after the wife and I were married, I taught her how to fly control line. What she learned from that experience and that of building her own models, has stayed with her over a lifetime. She is no stranger to using a drill, a vise, a tube of adhesive, etc. Of course, she is the exception, not the rule, but it is an exception that has fueled our marriage for nearly forty years.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 AM
mike109

G'day all. I started flying control line way back when and one of the planes that I had most success with was George Aldrich's Peacemaker. The Peacemaker is very similar to the Flight Streak which I believe is also one of George's along with the Nobler. My Peacemakers were all flown with OS 15s and OS 19s as they are smaller than the Flight Streak.

I found control line flying to be far more adrenalin producing than RC as with RC you can always get a few mistakes high to try things out. With control line, you are rarely more than one mistake or 60 feet (or less) from the ground. It took me ages to learn to fly inverted with control line. I eventually built a really tough combat model powered with a Taipan 15 Diesel which I could fly into the ground - dig out and fly again. The best advice I was ever given was "hang on the down line".

As to the FL70 and The FA62 - I still have a 62 and I love it. I had an FL70 in a large trainer and it was fine but not as powerful as the Surpass 70 I also had at the time. Not as heavy either though. I am happier having a ring in a engine that spends a lot of its time in the midrange.

The picture is of a member of our RC club who is now in his 70s. It was taken when he was in his late 20s and he still has the Nobler in the picture. I was a kid in the control line club at the time and I remember the beautiful model and other similar models by other members. The green is silk and the rest of the model is hand painted in white. A brilliant job. And he still has it though it has been recovered a few times but never crashed. Still has its original Fox 35.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43903.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	754.1 KB
ID:	1113337  
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Rudolph Hart

That's a beautifull looking aeroplne mike.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Rudolph Hart

As you know ed it's pretty exciting and sociable to boot coz you need at least two people and ten more to show off to

Contol lines going really sicko slack on me was the biggest fear i ever experianced,and trying to get my next heavy hardwood profile cl up on the measly horsepower provided by the sabre 7.5 diesel engine

Anybody have a suggestion for my spare 62a in a profile type aeroplane that i can chuck about a bit?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 AM
mike109

G'day over in Perth. Yes, it is a beauty indeed. At the time (about 1961/2) there were about 7 or 8 young blokes all in their late teens or early twenties who were all seriously into Stunt in KMFC at St. Ives Showground in Sydney. They were flying beautifully built Noblers, Smoothies, Thunderbirds and other stunt models of the time. Most were Fox 35 powered but some used Mercos and the odd K&B. The standard of finish on the models was extremely high and the flying too. Within 10 years, most of those blokes had moved on and the club became much smaller as RC started to take off. The club is now 50 years old and is having quite a resurgence with many of the old members from that time again flying control line. What goes around comes around. And that is certainly true of control line.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
w8ye

Mike, you are saying all the right words. Brings back many memories
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
fourstar2

Hey all you saito guys out there.
    I just purchased a saito 62a and stuck it on my sig mayhem 40, it runs great and it has plenty of power to do anything i need, it runs very reliable and it broke in very easy. Im new to four strokes and my question is whats up with this turbo muffler everyone is talkin about. I always love a boost in performance and sound, will this do it for me? And trust me i'm not the fool who will lean his engine to much thinking that it will safely give him more revs. 
Old 08-28-2009, 12:19 PM
w8ye

The Turbo muffler will give you 300 -400 rpm depending on what prop you use. You will enjoy it.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM
fourstar2

How do i order one? Can i get one from horizon? I looked at the horizon site earlier and i typed in my engine on the muffler search and it didn't show anything but what appeared to me to be turbo mufflers for rc cars and trucks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.