Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Help With Merco .40

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help With Merco .40

ORIGINAL: bjcbs

I finally got it running thanks to a beefier starter. It doesn't seem like a real powerhouse, but it will be perfect for the trainer I'm putting it in. Thanks for the help.

Barry
It will take longer to break in than a Fox. Once it is, it will be more powerful than most cross flow engines.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:11 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend gave me his new (1992) Merco .40 ABC RC engine a couple of weeks after buying it. It kept quitting on him and it wasn't a powerhouse when it did run - briefly.

I read the instructions and the fuel requirements. I just happened to have a gallon of Sig 5% all castor (20%) lube on hand. I mounted it on the bench testing stand and fired it up using a 10x6 prop. Yes, it too was very stiff, so I gave in and used my electric starter. Naturally, I had to reset the carb. My friend burns 15% nitro fuel as his standard fuel. The engine ran fine, but it was way down on power for an ABC .40. A few bench runs later and it had loosened up considerably, but still retained its ABC pinch at TDC. Running this engine turned out to be quite uneventful. If you could live with the power output and had the proper fuel on hand, you had a good engine. Fortunately, this engine was relatively inexpensive when compared to other .40 sized engines, so my friend did not lose a lot of money. I ended up paying him $20 for it and we called it even.

I keep threatening to mount it on one of my RC assisted Old Timer Ben Buckle models. That would be a perfect home for this engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: N2ECW

A friend gave me his new (1992) Merco .40 ABC RC engine a couple of weeks after buying it. It kept quitting on him and it wasn't a powerhouse when it did run - briefly.

I read the instructions and the fuel requirements. I just happened to have a gallon of Sig 5% all castor (20%) lube on hand. I mounted it on the bench testing stand and fired it up using a 10x6 prop. Yes, it too was very stiff, so I gave in and used my electric starter. Naturally, I had to reset the carb. My friend burns 15% nitro fuel as his standard fuel. The engine ran fine, but it was way down on power for an ABC .40. A few bench runs later and it had loosened up considerably, but still retained its ABC pinch at TDC. Running this engine turned out to be quite uneventful. If you could live with the power output and had the proper fuel on hand, you had a good engine. Fortunately, this engine was relatively inexpensive when compared to other .40 sized engines, so my friend did not lose a lot of money. I ended up paying him $20 for it and we called it even.

I keep threatening to mount it on one of my RC assisted Old Timer Ben Buckle models. That would be a perfect home for this engine.

Ed Cregger
I found that these engine required at least 1 gallon of fuel for break in before they will produce anywhere near their power potential. They require more patients than a tight Fox. Even the iron piston version I have felt like an ABC version when I turned it over, when it was new.