Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito verses Y-S

ORIGINAL: Flyer95

Dar,

I was not clear enough

I know that YS is the stronger engine in the same displacement because of the supercharging effect but they also weight more/size.
The larger YS engines 140/170DZ has other benefits making them suitable to very serious competition people.

But saying that YS 1.10 is stronger than a Saito 1.50 is not correct. It can only turn a smaller prop say 16x6 at the same rpm as the Saito 1.50. If both engines would have to turn a 17x6 instead of 16x6 the Saito 1.50 would be the winner because of the higher displacement, weight and torque it has and it would be happy turning a 17x6.
And we both know that the YS .63 is equal to the Saito .82 only if propped with a 12x7 or 13x6. On a 14x6 the Saito .82 does better again because of the bigger displacement.

The competition engines 1.40DZ-1.70DZ seem to have better torque/size compared to the .63-1.10. Probably made so to be quiet enough for the competition use.
The .63-1.10 seem to like to turn higher rpm to be happy

Amir,

It is not a larger displacement that allows the Saito 1.50 to out-rev the YS 1.10 on a 17x6, or the Saito .82a to out-rev the YS .63 on a 14x6...

If displacement was the only issue, the larger Saitos would out-rev the small YSs on every prop size... By a very wide margin.

What does give the larger displacement Saitos an advantage on some sizes, over the supercharged YSs, is their choice of camshaft timing and porting.

YS does prefer a somewhat higher RPM range than does Saito. So on the heavier sizes in each engine's prop range, the Saito has an advantage, due to its lower torque bias.

But again, this has nothing to do with the Saitos' greater cubic displacements...

EDIT: Typo.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a Saito 125 review in some magazine last winter where they had the dyno graph charted out. (Anyone remember what magazine that might have been?)

A dyno chart will tell you peak power numbers but also important stuff like area under the curve, and torque-HP relationships. Low-end grunt is a good thing, but one must sacrifice that for top-end power.

I suppose one's style of flying is important to consider before choosing an engine.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comparing two engines with the same prop to figure out the hp or KW is useless because each engine makes its peak power at a different rpm.

From what I’ve seen, the YS 63 is stronger (powerful) than the Saito 82GK with the best speed prop for each engine on the same plane and Saito consumed a third more fuel!

If you are looking for thrust, I’m sure that the best prop fore each engine could be found and the smaller YS would again come out the winner.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Harry Lagman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

From what I’ve seen, the YS 63 is stronger (powerful) than the Saito 82GK with the best speed prop for each engine on the same plane and Saito consumed a third more fuel!

If you are looking for thrust, I’m sure that the best prop fore each engine could be found and the smaller YS would again come out the winner.

Ditto on that in my experience.

The YS .63, when allowed to run in its sweet zone (10,500 - 11,500) will outperform any Saito up to a .91. Amongst YS engines, the .63 is a bit of an exception in that it likes to rev considerably higher than similar capacity conventional four-strokes.

A lot of guys run the YS 1.10 at mid nines, just like they would with their Saito 100s and 1.25s. Even at this rpm level, a YS 1.10 will run away and hide from all naturally aspirated four-strokes up to 1.25 and will seriously challenge a Saito 1.50.

My YS 1.10 seems happier (to me) when it's running at early to mid tens on the ground and unloads a bit in the air. I run a 13 x 11 APC prop on mine for a ground rpm of about 10,300 ready to fly.