My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Thunder Tiger 130 Four Stroke

Need some owners of this engine to chime in, was thinking about getting the TT 1.30 for my P-40 and dropping the Mag 1.20 I have into my P-47. So, owners.....?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This engine has definitely more power than the 125.Unfortunately, on the first outing, I seem to be getting deadsticks on inverted recoveries from a downline.And i think my fuel may have gone bad as i havent't flown for quite a spell. So, need further work before some meaningful figures.The extra weight would be good for a warbird.You won't go wrong with this engine.Its good and has a lower profile than a 125. Only rathers i have is a longer header but as Custom PC has pointed out, there is a longer header available as an option.Wish they had included that instead.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:47 PM
JRO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I now have several flights on my TT130 4stroke. Last week I ran a 16X6 APC prop on it to see if would perform better than my Master Airscrew 16X6. I personally prefer the Master Airscrew prop. At 4200 ft elevation I was turning 8400 RPM on Magnum 15% fuel. I have not run a gallon thru the engine yet. Perhaps as I run the engine more I will pick up more RPM's. I am so far pleased with the performance of the engine.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 AM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well i couldn't help myself and ordered one today.

It should arrive tommorrow and i'll start breaking it in over the weekend and try to take some video.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:49 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The engine's backfiring when I pulled back the throttle.This is the first time i am experiencing this on any of my engines.Reckon it could be the valves need a reset.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 AM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran my engine today and started breaking it in. I was using an APC 14x10 and 15% nitro as recommened in the manual.

The engine started first time without a hitch. I kept the rpms at around 4,000 for about 5 minutes when i noticed there was a lot of oil pooled up in the cylinder head around the glow plug.
I was using the supplied TT plug and when i checked it was tight, so i swapped it out for an OS 'F' plug which didn't leak as much but there was still a slight amount of oil pooling around the plug. I will have to check the head and glow plug threads closely to see whats causing this.

Like togatoga's engine, the compression in my engine increased a lot after the 1st run and improved remarkably on the second tank. I also agree that the exhaust note is a lot sharper than an OS or Saito. In fact it's harder on the ears than my 2-strokes.

For the second tank i varied the rpms between 4,000 and 8,000 holding at roughly each 1,000rpm step for 30 seconds or so then back to 4,000 for 30 seconds.

On the third tank i peaked the high needle and got 9,135rpm with the 14x10.

The engine still doesn't hold a reliable idle but i haven't touched the low needle yet. I suspect it's rich but will let it break in a bit more before i tune it fully.

I took some video of the first and second runs and can post them on YouTube if anyones interested. The video camera battery went flat on the 3rd tank so i missed recording the peak rpms.

Overall, the quality of the engine is high, but i don't think it is quite up to OS and Saito standards. Considering the much lower price for the TT it's probably about what you should expect.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
dbronst3790
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Custom - Lets see the video. We want to hear what the engine sounds like.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 AM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LRGEB4QTI[/youtube]

I'm now pretty annoyed at myself because i found that my cylinder head has a stripped glow plug thread. I was soooooo careful to screw that plug in using just light finger tip pressure on the tool and not tighten it excessively, yet i still stripped it []

Anyways, i have pulled the engine down to see if any damage has been done to the piston and liner and found that there is a groove in the liner that can be felt with a finger.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The local TT importers didn't have any spares for the F-130S yet, so i've ordered a new cylinder & head from thundertiger4u.com

I was glad to see they had the parts in stock for this new model and i found their order process and shipping price for international orders to be pretty reasonable.

For those interested, the lubrication system of the F-130S is the typical design and NOT the newer type like that found on the smaller .75 engine.

The rear bearing is open and the front is sheilded. There is a breather nipple in the center of the backplate. Oil flows to the cam and rockers in the time honoured way.

Also, the cam bearings are shealded ball bearings and not brass bushings like the smaller TT 4-strokes.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
estradajae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CustomPC the TT F-75s does not have any special lubrication system, it has a breather on the backplate and I had indeed a cam failure because the rear bearing is shielded and couldn't get oil there...I ended making a pinhole on the shield and now it works ok. THe valves are always lubed so there is no problem there.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my replacement cylinder and head in the mail today and i can see why the glow plug on engine stripped.

The thread is very poor and i'm going to have to be real careful when installing plugs in this replacement head.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 AM
DarZeelon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

The thread is very poor and I'm going to have to be real careful, when installing plugs in this replacement head.
CPC,

Why don't you send the head to Clarence Lee (or to a local craftsman) and have a Heli-Coilâ„¢ fitted into the glow-plug thread?

If you do that before-hand (what TT should have done in the first place), you will not have to be that careful...

Just remember; if you access a local jobber, the thread is 1/4"-32 and this must be told...

Also, I believe this engine has not yet exceeded its warrantee period... Did you actually have to pay for the replacement???
Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 AM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Dar,

I didn't bother seeking a warranty replacement because the local TT importers have no stock of spares and i would be engineless for a few months if i sent it back.

I was just glad that ThunderTiger4U has parts and they were here in exactly 1 week.

I've looked locally for someone who does glowplug repairs and found no-one. Perhaps someone here in Australia can contact me if they know.

I might send the stripped head to C Lee so that i have a spare. The head is in otherwise brand new condition with only 3 tanks through it.

I also searched high and low for a helicoil or Time-Sert kit with the notion of buying a kit and offering the service to local pilots, but i was quoted AU$300 for a Time-Sert kit and couldn't find a Helicoil kit anywhere. I'm still looking though.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:40 AM
DarZeelon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CPC,

The glow-plug thread size is rather rare in some countries... But any skilled machinist with a lathe can form a good thread of virtually any size...
...Not a Heli-Coil, though, because you need the inserts and the inserter to do it properly.

Clarence Lee is probably your best bet...

As to making the warranty work for you; I usually demand my money's worth, but if you don't have another engine you can use for the time being, it is obviously your choice to do the repair at your own expense.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any machine shop can install this. They just need to buy the insert and insert tap to do the job. You may not have asked the right question. Not do you have the insert, or have you installed this size insert, but would you order the insert and install.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 AM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've just finished replacing the head on my engine and i now believe there is a manufacturing flaw.

See the picture below of the head with stripped thread. You can see that the thread does not go all the way to the end of hole because of the angle of the combustion chamber.

The problem is that the threaded portion of the hole is not deep enough and the plug bottoms out on the end of the threads before the copper plug washer seats to form a good seal.

This results in a leak around the glowplug. I saw this during the first run of my engine and subsequently stripped the thread trying to get the plug to seat properly.

The new head i just to fitted my engine leaks around the plug too. Turning the engine over by hand was enough to force the oil i used during the re-assembly out around the plug and you can hear it leaking past the plug.

I tried two plug washers and it sealed well and no leaks.

How much effect on compression would 2 plug washers have until i can locate a tap to extend the threads?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71266.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1263504  
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
estradajae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you find a glow plug tap and tap it?

or take an old glow plug and make a sharp groove along the threads and use it as a tap...maybe that will do the trick??
Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
mike early

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

damn poor form.

Compression isn't as affected as much as the actual combustion. Your plug is recessed and the flame has farther to travel. I don't like it.

Drill it out and install a helicoil. Or pay someone to do it for you.

Call TT and raise hell for good measure.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
DarZeelon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This head seems like a lousy piece of engineering...
The glow plug is at an angle to the area of the combustion chamber it exists through...

This could potentially put threads in the 'line of fire', to become 'hot spots'.
This is not the engineering these engineers learned in the university...

I am very surprised, in the negative sense.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The plug in my Saito 82 is at an angle as well. I don't think the angle is the problem, it's the poor threads. Spark plugs in Gassers 99% of the time are at an angle as well. If this adversely effected the engine performance I could see the problem.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

This head seems like a lousy piece of engineering...
The glow plug is at an angle to the area of the combustion chamber it exists through...

This could potentially put threads in the 'line of fire', to become 'hot spots'.
This is not the engineering these engineers learned in the university...

I am very surprised, in the negative sense.

It seems to me the hole is drilled in steps and the threads were only supposed to be in the upper step, not in the lower area. Sounds like the tap was not run all the way through and that resulted in a taper with shallow threads at the bottom. As for its location, it is exactly where it should be, between the valves and on the thicker end of the wedge.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
DarZeelon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

It seems to me the hole is drilled in steps and the threads were only supposed to be in the upper step, not in the lower area. Sounds like the tap was not run all the way through and that resulted in a taper with shallow threads at the bottom. As for its location, it is exactly where it should be, between the valves and on the thicker end of the wedge.
Hugh,

The combustion chamber seems not to be a complete wedge, but a partially flat type, with a small 'wedge' on the right only...
The plug-hole is at 45° to the flat surface at the top.

The valves are upright; not canted, as they would be in a wedge-type combustion chamber.

The job done on the plug hole is not a good one.
The threads must accept a long glow plug thread. They don't.

CPC wrote the plug bottomed-out, before compressing the washer.
I can see why.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CPC wrote the plug bottomed-out, before compressing the washer.
I can see why.
There appears to be nothing in the way to cause it to bottom out, unless the thread is tapered.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The valves are upright; not canted, as they would be in a wedge-type combustion chamber.
Valves are canted in hemi or penthouse designs, flat in wedge designs.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 PM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dar,

There are no threads exposed when the plug is inserted. The tip of an OS-F sits flush.

Sport Pilot,

"Bottom out" is probably not the correct terminogy. You're right that there is no physical barrier stopping the plug from entering the combustion chamber.

It's the length of the threads which is the issue. The plug screws in until it reaches the end of the threads but that is not far enough to seat the copper washer and get an effective seal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service