Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Thunder Tiger 130 Four Stroke

I have a different opinion as to the power of the TT130. Let me digress a bit. My saito 115 out turns my OS110a with a 14x8 JXF by about 200~300rpm.The 115 is overshadowed by the saito125 turning a 15x8 or 16x6apc. Finally , the TT130 out turns the saito 125 by a bit. Thats how i arrived at the conclusion thru' my own experience. I suppose if you underprop the bigger engines , you will end up with a different set of figures which doesn't do justice to the bigger capacity.
    I have found put too that the TT130s is a rev happy engine and doesn't like to be loaded down. As I've said, it is a very good value for the money engine and should last for many years of flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spinnerrow,
    just try the TT130 instead of the 2-stroke. The sound should be awesome.

Apart fom the O.S. vs. the rest, the TT should be fine for the price.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up getting a killer deal on a little used YS 1.10S but I'm still interested in these engines. I can picture one of these in a Hangar-9 Blue Nose P-51.

So what is the consensus so far? Are these engines a good value?
    \"Hey!!! That tree was NOT there when I took off!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

who in the hell sells this motor ive looked on Tower and Hobbypeople...i thought they were distributors
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I noticed that this new engine does not have bronze inserts for the valve seats/guides like OS and Enya. Are these areas plated like Saitos? If not I hope the head is at least high silicon aluminum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS has dropped bronze valve guides and seats also. Many Saito do not have bronze valve seats, but are chromed like the liner. While these engines are still relatively new, I've not heard of any failures. Many casting alloys have a fair amount of silicon, especially anything used for engines.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Metallica, try ThunderTiger4u.com
    Sig 4*40, GP Corsair, TF P47D, P40, Spitfire. Future Projects: Ty Brown\'\'s ME109 84\", Dave Anderson TA152

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

who in the hell sells this motor ive looked on Tower and Hobbypeople...i thought they were distributors
    Direct link to www.thundertiger4u.com:

https://www.thundertiger4u.com/store...idProduct=1147

Ace Hobby is the North American distributor for Thunder Tiger and Team Associated:

http://www.acehobby.com

Ace Hobby doesn't sell directly to the public, nor do they own a retail presence. Well, www.infinitehobbies.com and www.onlyraptors.com might be owned by Ace Hobby, but I don't really know for sure. Any hobby store that sells Raptor helicopter parts or Team Associated RC cars should be able to order the F-130s 4-stroke engine for you, part number TTR9830.

If you don't have a local hobby dealer to support, you can try the following online Thunder Tiger resellers:

http://www.thundertiger4u.com
    http://www.infinitehobbies.com
    http://www.ehobbies.com
    http://www.paulsmodelsupply.com

If you call Paul's Model Supply at 1-888-237-5814, you'll likely get to speak to Paul, the owner. He's been in the hobby for a long time and he's very knowledgeable regarding RC engines. He also supports and promotes his local flying club. Paul's Model Supply often gets mentioned to folks looking for Webra engines and parts; Paul imports them as needed through Webra's Canadian distributor and is reported to be able to get you whatever you need, and quickly.

I've bought Thunder Tiger items from all of the above resellers, and I'll happily do business with any of them again.
    Electric RC planes are like non-alcoholic beer, they are OK in a pinch if the real thing is not available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RadicalRC.com sells them also, for $269 I believe.
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

Metallica, try ThunderTiger4u.com

Thunder Tiger suffered from delusions of grandeur and bought out Ace Hobbies (don't know the correct name) some time ago. I suppose they dreamt of joining the ranks of the distributors in the US. Unfortunately, lots of folks had a negative impression of Ace Hobbies (me for one) after dealing with them previously for twenty or so years. They even kept many of the same people, which, according to some, was the problem to begin with. Many hobbyshop owners refused to do business with them, saying that they were difficult to do business with. Me, I dunno, but I wasn't real happy with my Digital Commander Tx kit that relied upon D&R stick assemblies with sticks that used servo pots that had to be cleaned at least monthly. I'm easy going, but I hold a grudge for a long, long time, once ticked.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey would you recomend this engine. Im about to begin work on a top flite sea fury and trying to decide between this tt f130 or os95v.
    i like price vs. size of the tt 130, equivalent engines of the size of other brands want your first born.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They even kept many of the same people, which, according to some, was the problem to begin with.
    A bunch of lazy a**'s.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fillopygeesi

Hey would you recommend this engine. Im about to begin work on a top flite sea fury and trying to decide between this tt f130 or os95v.
    i like price vs. size of the tt 130, equivalent engines of the size of other brands want your first born.
    Yes, I would. Mine ran extremely well right out of the box with a flawless idle after only 3 tank-fulls of fuel. I liked the price and the beautiful finish. It's true that it is not as sophisticated as an OS or Saito but for the money it is hard to beat. Tower now sells it and has parts and service for it. You don't have to deal with Ace anymore.

I owned this engine for about a year and a half before putting it a GP Revolver and it has performed extremely wellever since. I give it a two thumbs up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: fillopygeesi

Hey would you recommend this engine. Im about to begin work on a top flite sea fury and trying to decide between this tt f130 or os95v.
    Yes, I would. Mine ran extremely well right out of the box with a flawless idle after only 3 tank-fulls of fuel. I liked the price and the beautiful finish. It's true that it is not as sophisticated as an OS or Saito but for the money it is hard to beat. Tower now sells it and has parts and service for it. You don't have to deal with Ace anymore.

I owned this engine for about a year and a half before putting it a GP Revolver and it has performed extremely wellever since. I give it a two thumbs up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only thing is I bet it guzzles the glow fuel. Do you think it would be overkill for Top Flite Sea Fury the manual calls for .90 if 4 stroke. I was origanaly worried the 130 would be to heavy but specs say it only ways 30 oz. The manual says to add 8.5 oz for correct C.G. if running and OS .61 2 stroke so maybe 30oz would be about right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It should be fine in your Sea Fury. I bolted it right into the same space as a .91 Magnum in my Revolver. The Crankcase was slightly wider and that was the only adjustment I had to make. Hope that helps and good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

picked up a tt130 at Perry and put it in a Yak.  Ran good for the first gallon then the bottom of the piston came off and filled the bottom with lotsand lots of little metal pieces. New ring , piston, and bearings on order.  Still all in all a good strong motor, just not sure why the bottom of the piston skirt broke off. oh well we live and learn.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems to be a problem with TT130. I sent mine in under warranty, the piston, rod had to be replaced. I have flown it a few times since I got it back seems to be OK time will tell.
    Another modeler who I fly with had similar problems returned his back to Great Planes since they are now the distributor. Apparently they had trouble getting parts so they sent him a new one.
    He broke the engine in at home and took it out today, 2nd flight power gone, strange noise, he thinks the piston or rod let go.
    I am wondering how many have had similar experiences?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I remember correctly, CustomPC had a similar problem, if I remember correctly, he had also a piston failure, but in his case in AUS, he did not get a good warranty service.

He made a thread about the engine, at the begining he was very excited and happy, and then he got the problem and so on..

Take a search on the forums.

Best regards
    Jorge Andres Estrada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought the problmes were fixed and TT and Tower have replaced most of the bad ones?  Course if you bought a NOS engine from someone without warranty it could be one of the early ones.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Morning all,
    I've bought one of these and am currently running it in on the bench. Start well and runs well. Very noisy and idle is a very hard to adjust but it's still new.
    Anyway,
    It looks like I can turn the carburetor around so the adjustment needles are on the other side.
    Anyone know if that’s right before I take it off?

Cheers Glen
    PS I hope mine isn't one of the piston defective ones. Very little info on this motor around.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It looks like I can turn the carburetor around so the adjustment needles are on the other side. Anyone know if that’s right before I take it off?
    That should be covered in the manual?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

jeffie, very nicely set up motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks dude. It had a carb issue when new but it was replaced under warranty and it runs so good now I cant imagine a better engine.
    Unless it made lots more power, weighed nothing, cost nothing and started itself .
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast