Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 72

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 72

I've had this engine for about four years now. It has served me well over the years.

I put it in a WM Aeropet a couple of months ago and have been having problems with it every since. It is mounted inverted but it was inverted on the last plane I flew it on so I didn't think that would be an issue.

First I can't seem to get the prop nut tight enough. No matter what I do the prop keeps spinning on me and breaking the spinners. Yes I am using the double nuts that came with the engine. Using an APC 13X6 which I have used before, have also used a 13X8.

Today when I took it out to the field I ran into some other issue. I started it up and it was running fine. The spinner didn't fly off within 10 seconds like it had been doing. So, I thought maybe I got it tight enough this time.

While running up the engine I heard this loud, "Plat" as the engine died. Another guy at the field heard and asked what that was. Well, I wasn't sure so I tried to start it again. Still had compression and things seemed ok.

However, my started couldn't turn it over. It would get stuck on the compression stroke. I tried it on my Saito 180 and it turned it over and started it just fine. Of course I thought the starter battery may be low so I tried the other guys starter and got the same result.

So I took off the glow plug, it turned over smoothly. Took off the rocker covers, both rockers move and have clearance and the valves did move also. Put the plug back on and tried again. It spun over with the starter until I hooked up the glow driver, then it stuck on the compression stroke again.

I tried another glow plug and got the same result. Brought it home and took the engine back plate off to be sure it wasn't flooded or something. Everything looked good from what I can tell.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Default RE: Saito 72

My guess is that the engine may have been running slightly lean and detonation was causing the prop nut set to loosen.

If the engine sticks at some point, don't force it, there may be some internal failure and the inards will have to be inspected to see what is causing this problem. Without inspecting the engine it is hard to guess what went wrong.

Are you comfortable taking your engine apart? If not, you can send it to horizon.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Saito 72's have a problem with the intake manifold leaking where it goes into the head.

The fix requires a new back plate and new O rings from Horizon to seal the intake manifold at the head.

The symptom is that you can never get the mixture adjusted correct and the engine stay that way during a flight. It will drive you nuts.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Salty25

That is what so strange to me about the whole thing. I could turn the engine over by hand, the compression felt normal. However, the starter would not turn it pass the compression point.

If I take the head off do I need some special type of device/tool to put it back on? I've taken OS and Magnum engines apart before but never a Saito.

What would I be looking for besides something that is obviously broken?

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

On a SAITO there's no cylinder head - the whole cylinder comes off.

Here's an article that helped me get through my breakdown of a 72. I'd never done it before either. It was a big help.

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/4stroke_howto.shtml

If something's broken it will be pretty obvious. It might be a valve lifting rod, too. take a look there.

BobbyG
Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Salty25

Well, I took it all apart. I did see a little carbon build up but nothing broken, or bent from what I saw. Is it possible the timing gear jumped or something? I don't really see how it could; the gears seemed to be in good condition.

Well, I'll have to pick up a gasket set before I put it back together.

I'll have to read that article when I go to put this back together, not sure about lining up the timing marks. The old Chevy 350 was easy, two marks pointed at each other. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40391.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1189883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74696.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1189884  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Salty25

With the starter not being able to turn it over I was thinking of something that would case increased pressure. i.e. valve stuck closed.

Name:	Xv64600.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1189901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65339.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1189902  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Salty25

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Saito 72's have a problem with the intake manifold leaking where it goes into the head.

The fix requires a new back plate and new O rings from Horizon to seal the intake manifold at the head.

The symptom is that you can never get the mixture adjusted correct and the engine stay that way during a flight. It will drive you nuts.
I put a new back plate and O ring seal on it about two years ago. It was running fine when I had it on my Paramount. I put it on the Aeropet and it started all the weird stuff. From one to the other only took a few days to build and mount.

Same fuel, same glow plug, same prop; just different plane.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Salty25

Both planes flew with inverted engines.

Name:	Zx70527.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1189906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75934.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1189907  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Blazer1
My Feedback: (1)

The problem is with the mounting location of the tank in the Aeropet.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Salty,

The best bet is to do what W8YE suggested. I've been thru that and it really made my hurt for a while. Get some small washers to go under the backplate screws. Use locktite of some kind on the screws when you put the backplate back on. My screws would work themselves loose and back out in only a few minutes of run time. Get some RTV, and make a bead around the top of the manifold, where the manifold goes into the cylinder. Do this under the metal clamp washer, so you get a good squish and seal when you tighten things up.

I love my .72 with these mods to it. I love the sound of a .72 with some throttle put to it.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 AM
BobbyGee

ORIGINAL: Salty25

I'll have to read that article when I go to put this back together, not sure about lining up the timing marks. The old Chevy 350 was easy, two marks pointed at each other. LOL

Timing's easy - piston at Top Dead Center and the timing mark on the cam gear pointed straight down.

BobbyG

Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Salty25

Called Horizon today about the gasket for the engine. They don't have a listing for the gasket, not even in the engine gasket set. Can I go back together without a gasket or will it leak? Worse than a Saito normally leaks.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You were talking to the Janitor?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI7232A
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
BobbyGee

Called Horizon today about the gasket for the engine. They don't have a listing for the gasket, not even in the engine gasket set. Can I go back together without a gasket or will it leak? Worse than a Saito normally leaks.

?????!!!!! [:-]

I got the same gasket set and some other spares from Horizon about a month and a half ago. They had everything I needed and delivery was lightning quick.

Talk to someone else. It's part no. SAI7232A

BobbyG

Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Salty25

I asked for 7232, as it was listed in the manual. The first rep didn't see a listing for it and she put me in touch with a tech guy. Of course, he never came on and I was work so I had to get going.

I'm not sure what to expect when I put this thing back together. I broke it down and didn't find anything wrong, so why should it start working now all of a sudden?

Maybe it is the tank position as someone thought. I'll try it on the test stand and see what happens before putting it back on the Aeropet.

I don't think it was running lean, I've been flying this engine for some time now. I had problems when I got my first Saito with running it lean and learned to keep it good and wet.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
blw

I'm not sure what to expect when I put this thing back together. I broke it down and didn't find anything wrong, so why should it start working now all of a sudden?

I don't think it was running lean, I've been flying this engine for some time now. I had problems when I got my first Saito with running it lean and learned to keep it good and wet.

What you will find new is the faulty backplate to manifold seal has been fixed, if you do it like we are suggesting. This is the source for slight and intermittent leaks, and the lean runs.

Everything that you describe is an engine that is running lean and backfiring. That is what is loosening your prop nuts and messing up your spinners.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Salty25

OK, I should have the gasket set in by Wed at the latest. I'll put it all back together and let you know how it works.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
daveopam

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Salty, I bumped this up because I wanted to remind you to tell us what you found out.

David
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Salty25

Oh, I won't forget. The parts are supposed to be at LHS tomorrow. I can't make it down until next Mon, unless the shipment comes in early and I can get there in the afternoon. I hate how work gets in the way of fun. [>:]
Old 05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Salty25

Told ya I wouldn't forget.

Anyway, I picked up the gasket set a few days ago. I finally got the time today to put it back together and try it out. I reset the high end needle and started it up. That puppy fired right away; like it wanted to sing.

So I ran it for a bit on the stand. I couldn't find the crate I normally chain my engine stand to so I just grabbed the coffee table. Ssshhhh, don't tell the wife. No, she would kill me; it is an old one I use in the garage.

After running for a bit I put it back on the plane and ran it some more. Darn things run great now.

But I do think I know what the issue was. While at the hobby shop I figured I should pick up some more glow plugs. Well, looking at the plugs I realized I put the wrong plug in the Saito. Maybe I'm wrong on this but it sure runs great now.

Name:	Fd93258.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1198079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12804.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1198080  
Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
blw

You really had me rooting for you there....a real man just grabbing the table when he needs it!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Salty25

I may be crazy... but I'm not stupid.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

I may be crazy... but I'm not stupid.
Next time polish the top up and keep the story going..

My Saito .72 definitely behaves differently on different plugs - I ran a few others but always come back to an OS-F, and seem to get the smoothest and best behaviour on that. Some stunk, some were okay but just not quite.

MJD
Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 PM
blw

Mine seem to run slightly smoother with Saito SS plugs. I can't say for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.