Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

DIY ON-BOARD GLOW SYSTEM THAT WORKS

Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY ON-BOARD GLOW SYSTEM THAT WORKS

Just thought I would share a simple on-board glow system that seems to work well and is fairly simple. I bought a Battle Switch, http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm , from Robot Market Place(www.robotmarketplace.com), a 6 Amp switch and two C-battery holders form Radio Shack. A few other connecting parts and two rechargeable C NiCad batteries completed the system. The good feature of using the Battle Switch is that it is commanded by a receiver channel. I chose the gear channel which can also be mixed with throttle if I so desire. The system is so far working well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58721.jpg
Views:	2621
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1228193  
Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
pe reivers

Default RE: DIY ON-BOARD GLOW SYSTEM THAT WORKS

I use a single cell + microswitch driven off the throttle servo in series with the main ignition switch. Works (worked) like a charm! (no glow planes any more)
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had 4 different models/engines.  I've never used an onboard glow system but I am curious.  I assume they prevent dead stick situations.  I've only had a dead stick 1 time.  I take alot of time breaking in an engine.  I wonder if on board glow is worth the cost?  Is there any other reason for on board glow?  I've never flown larger than a .61.  But I am thinking about going with something in the 4 stroke 1.2 class soon.  What would be the advantage to on board glow with that, or any size engine?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One advatage is that there is nothing to hook up to start engine. Just flip a switch and start her up!!! Capt,n P.S. Good insurance of a flame out too!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 PM
captinjohn

For you guys that have a twin...just use 2 big nicads in series with glow plugs. Glow plugs do not care about polarity!! Capt,n

Name:	Ax72985.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1229413  
Old 07-04-2009, 05:24 AM
airbusdrvr

An on board glow will only prevent engine flame out if it is glow plug temp related. No fuel, bad mixtures and all the other reasons engines stop will not be prevented. The advantage for a twin cylinder engine, which mine is, is that one is able to regain a cylinder that may have dropped out. Twin engines will run on one cylinder, but not very well. So if one were to drop out in flight, getting it back would be nice. On smaller airplanes, I would think the weight penalty would often make it not worth the effort.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:26 AM
airbusdrvr

Do you mean in parallel? In series would bring the voltage to 3.0 which might be more than the 1.5v plugs could take.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

stevenmax50,

The disadvantage on a small plane is toting all that extra weight around 'just in case' you need it or for the 'convenience' of not having to use a glow driver to start the engine.

Terry in LP
Old 07-04-2009, 02:14 PM
liquid_TR

he meant parallel..
Old 07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
liquid_TR

btw, very nice and simple setup of on-board glow driver. will work like a charm.
mix it with throttle position and get instant glow under 1/4 throttle.!
Old 07-04-2009, 03:41 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: liquid_TR

btw, very nice and simple setup of on-board glow driver. will work like a charm.
mix it with throttle position and get instant glow under 1/4 throttle.!
That is something I will probably do a bit into the future. Initially, I will just use the gear switch to activate the on-board glow. But my transmitter, the JR X9303, can also mix the throttle to the gear channel if I elect to do that.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

he meant parallel..
No, he meant in series. You put the batteries in series and make the connections to the top of each glow plug. There isn't any connection to the engine case. This way the glow plugs are in series also. The advantage is that the two batteries can be charged at the same time since they are in series. This will only work on an engine with two glow plugs.
Paul
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Do you mean in parallel? In series would bring the voltage to 3.0 which might be more than the 1.5v plugs could take.
I do mean series. If 2 glowplugs are lite 2x1.5 volts = 3 volts Imagine a wire from each end of 2 nicads in series going to each glowplug. The rest of the circut is the engine! Capt,n
Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 AM
N429EM

ORIGINAL: 42etus

he meant parallel..
No, he meant in series. You put the batteries in series and make the connections to the top of each glow plug. There isn't any connection to the engine case. This way the glow plugs are in series also. The advantage is that the two batteries can be charged at the same time since they are in series. This will only work on an engine with two glow plugs.
Paul
However, if one glow plug burns out, it will break the electrical connection, and you lose your ability "light" the second plug if that cylinder goes dead, right?

EJ
Old 07-05-2009, 02:16 AM
liquid_TR

Im sorry but its very unusual and practically wrong to make a series connection with 2 glowplugs.

If one plug is gone, you lose the connection - on top of that, if one plugs resistance change, (just before going south) you will most probably burn the good plug with it.

I suggest you change your setup to 2 nicads parallel (for longer duration) and make two parallel connections to glow plug heads from + terminal of the battery.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 AM
airbusdrvr

Capt John and 42etus, could you post a diagram of your system. I'm a bit at a loss trying to understand some of the descriptions. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and I may learn something here. It is not clear in my mind what you are describing.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 AM
captinjohn

I am on my laptop right now, but I will draw up a crude diagram and post it here in a while, when I get on main computer. Capt,n
Old 07-05-2009, 01:05 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

I use a RAM system in my Sig Mustang now - it's fairly inexpensive and works well. If you have a futaba radio you'll need their inline signal amp to get it to work properly.

In the past I have used a simple micro switch from Radio Shack and a Sub-C NiCd.

This is my earlier thread on the same subject:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2614459

Name:	Ec88861.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1230130  
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: N429EM

However, if one glow plug burns out, it will break the electrical connection, and you lose your ability ''light'' the second plug if that cylinder goes dead, right?

EJ
Well yeah, you'd lose that ability. But then if the plug's burned out it ain't going to light no matter how it's wired up. Time to land!
Paul
Old 07-05-2009, 03:40 PM
airbusdrvr

However, if one glow plug burns out, it will break the electrical connection, and you lose your ability ''light'' the second plug if that cylinder goes dead, right?

EJ
Well yeah, you'd lose that ability. But then if the plug's burned out it ain't going to light no matter how it's wired up. Time to land!
Paul
I think the reference was for a twin-cylinder motor. I know when I researching some of the commercially available on-board glow systems, they were also designed with the two glow plugs in series. Meaning that if one plug were to electrically have a discontinuity, then neither plug would be powered. With the plugs wired in parallel, the good plug would still be powered.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
N429EM

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

EJ
Paul
I think the reference was for a twin-cylinder motor. I know when I researching some of the commercially available on-board glow systems, they were also designed with the two glow plugs in series. Meaning that if one plug were to electrically have a discontinuity, then neither plug would be powered. With the plugs wired in parallel, the good plug would still be powered.
Yeah, right, airbusdrvr. I was referring to the twin cylinder setup. And by "light" the other plug, I meant to have the ability to glow the second plug. Thus, insure the second cylinder doesn't flame-out, while you're trying to get back to terra firma safely, and under some power.

EJ
Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
captinjohn

Good insurance is to pratice landing from many different angles and altitudes. Even a dead stick on purpose. Doing so will help you get your favorite bird back on the ground in one piece. Always take time to pratice langings. It will pay off. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres another simple way to switch a system like this on a off; use a micro servo to activate a toggle switch that closes a circuit connected to a 1.5V battery. Operate the servo from a spare channel on the reciever. Simple, effective and you activate it independantly of the throttle setting.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:49 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use on-board glow systems. These are configured such that they are only operational at the very lowest throttle settings ... a couple of notches beyond minimum throttle.

Commercially-bought systems are very compact and often use a sub-C cell. Total weight of a couple of ounces at most. I think that they are great. Any reasonably-sized model won't notice the extra weight.

The disadvantage of the "simple" system is that, on application of power, the glow' power switches off suddenly. With more sophisticated systems, there is a delay period .... so, as the throttle is advanced beyond the cut-off point, the glow remains energised for a few seconds.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
TimJ

Has anyone though of using an electronic speed control, and limit the output voltage?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.