Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

problem with o.s. 46fx

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:33 PM
rcflyer0288

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with o.s. 46fx

this is one of the first problems ive had with this engine. the problem is is that sometimes the propeller will not turn over very easily its almost like theres a heck of a lot of compression in the crankshaft housing. sometimes i can get it to turn easily for a while with my starter but then it just gets stuck. need help!! please! i really need help because i am about to have my first lesson on wednesday. i am only 14. please help
Old 06-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Avistar23

did you check if it is getting flooded ?
Old 06-23-2003, 11:53 PM
rcflyer0288

yeah i did i would turn the plane over and a bunch of fuel would come out of the carb. i did that a couple of times and it still did it
Old 06-23-2003, 11:56 PM
coop02
My Feedback: (4)

Default stuck .46fx

To expand on Avistar 23's reply, If you flood these engines with too much fuel and it gets into the cylinder, you get what is called hydrolock. That is, there is lots of fluid in the cylinder instead of air and the fluid won't compress and locks up the engine. Don't try to turn it on through by hand or with a powerful starter as you can easily bend the connecting rod. Hold the engine with the exhaust outlet down and then work the crankshaft back and forth until the fluid pours out of the exhaust and then carefully turn it on through by hand and clear out the excess fluid.

This can easily be caused by pumping fuel into your tank with the vent line still connected to the exhaust. Depending on the position of the engine, the excess fuel will maybe flow directly into the cylinder on top of the piston and there you have hydrolock. You should always remove that vent line from the muffler before you fill your tank and run it into a catch bottle to catch the overflow. Saves the pit area pavement surface and also costs you less money by saving the fuel that would be wasted. You will get at least one extra flight out of a gallon of fuel.

Welcome to the sport. There are lots of these little things to learn and in a year you will be helping others.

Coop
Old 06-24-2003, 12:00 AM
coop02
My Feedback: (4)

Default More.....

From your last reply,

Turn the plane to get the fuel to run out the exhaust. It indicates it is really full by running out the carb. You want it to run out of the cylinder through the muffler.

Coop
Old 06-24-2003, 02:10 AM
rcflyer0288

thanks for all the help