Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How will the engines survive in future?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
is mainly engines. will be partly electric.
33.86%
is mainly engines. will be all electric.
5.51%
is mainly engines. will still be engines.
54.33%
is aleady mainly electric. will be no change.
6.30%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

How will the engines survive in future?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How will the engines survive in future?

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

mainly glow at the moment, will be gasonline in the future.
electrics for .1-.25, glow from .25-1.20, gas above that

well said, +5
Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 AM
RappyPilot

Electric engines/batteries evolve and get better, nitro engines/fuel evolve and get better. There will always be a market place for both.

Maybe new pilots and the insatiable urge for instant gratification in today's rushed society, environmentsl issues, noise issues etc. etc. etc. does tend to make people lean towards cleaner, easier to use electric engines but methanol motors will never die. To me it's all about fiddling and tinkering with those little engineering miracles and to tune them till they run just right. That's half the fun.

No matter how technology progresses, a warbird with a fat four stroke will never ever be replaced my an electric couterpart .... it's just not right ... Does not sound right, does not look right, does not smell right

Who needs the soap box next :-)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: wcmorrison
I agee great progress has been made with electrics but the smell of burnt electrics is not as pleasant as burnt Castor to me.

Cheers,

Chip

That was hilarious I have to agree....

They say electrics give instantaneous throttle response...that's good if you need an edge in a competition. I love IC engines, and only have one electric and i havent used it in over a year
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Tjetfire94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you throttle up too fast, you will go outa control, and torque right into the ground.
Besides, a DA or other high performance Gas engine works fine! And they have almost instantanious throttle response!

Also, I just dont see flying for 4 minutes, waiting 20-60 min charging, and flying another 4 min. No Gass n' Go in electrics unless you buy another pack which gets pretty pricey for high end batteries.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Tried electric and did`nt not care for it. What I disliked most was the power dropping off after a minute or 2 of flight. and 5 to 6 minutes of flight time.
I do have a Heli, T-Rex 450 that I fly in my back yard {5 ac with trees}4 battery packs for about 20 minutes of flight and then charge the for 3 to 4 hours for 20 minutes of flight .
There are some people that cant tune in a radio station , let alone break-in a glow or gas engine . Electric is perfect for them. Bottom line ,fly what you like.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Bigshark

The punch line goes something like ''or in your bedroom............''

Unfortunately that leaves my wife out.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
lez1troubles

I would'nt know why combustion engines would die out, nowdays there are companies busy producing alterative fuels and if that does'nt work I guess you could use alcohol, given the right tuning(moding). Alcohol would actially be good for us seems how you can brew it at home quite easy.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM
sugsugbilate
My Feedback: (2)

I fly engines, but the reality of it is to ask yourself why all of these huge tech. advances in motors? Probably due to the huge market the flying public provides. Eny, meny, miny, motors?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have couple of indoor electrics- the mcx helicopter and a Vapor airplane. Both are a hoot to fly.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Tommygun

Like Valve Floater said, electric up to 2200 MAH 3 cell Lipo is probably the practical size limit, since beyond that the cost goes up exponentially. So what will the future bring for engines? Well if you've noticed, Saito recently released the new "FG-20" gasoline four-stroke, and according to them it's suitable for .60-.90 powered models. I think this is the smallest modern production engine to run on unleaded so far. What this means is gas will eventually replace larger glow, and electrics will replace small glow, the dividing line being somewhere in the .46 size range. I think glow could be extinct in years to come. Don't think it's possible? Consider that 10-15 years ago, few would predict the ultimate demise of the .049. Now that engine is a dead duck, completely replaced by electrics.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Access

I think what will ultimately determine engine design is the easily available fuels, not the advantages or tradeoffs of one design vs. another.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

I have some of both. I will never like running an electric motor as much as a glow engine. As some have mentioned, I grew up as as kid dreaming about running larger glow engines.

I like the really small electric stuff like indoors with no wind or limits by daylight and I really can't run a glow engine indoors LOL. I wil have a couple of electrics around.

For some reason, my electric flight times are alot shorter than glo and its not because I run out of batteries ... Its just not the same. I will never get to fly a glow enough to come home early. I get 2 or 3 with electric and am ready to come in... It seems that glow fuel is the catalyst for my glow engines and for MY HOBBY!

turbo
I think turbo summed things up nicely from my view point, as well. Electric aircraft are generally a consolation for when I can't fly glow instead. They're not as cool, they're not as fun to fly, but electrics help me get some extra stick time.

I do like the implication that electric airplanes are the cure for the clueless tuner. I'm always telling my wife that God gave us Applebee's so that clueless folks won't be out crowding up the good restaurants instead.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are big bucks being spent developing all aspects of electric. Electric ten years from now will be quite different, better, and cheaper than what it is today. Very little is being spent improving small internal combustion engines. I predict that the only model airplane engine still in production 15 years from now will be the Fox stunt 35.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The sad thing is that 'letric flyers are adding sound modules to their scale aircraft to sound like and engine......Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby........

I believe smaller engines will probably see less demand. It would be hard to imagine .40 to 1.20 sized engines going completely away though. Giver the numbers these engines are produced in, I imagine we've got a nearly unlimited supply in the "collector's market," on those auction sites.......

Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I'm 26...so if all goes well I'll be around contributing to this hobby for sometime.

I'll never "go electric." I've got no issues with electric flyers...but certainly not for me. I like the sound, smell, and workings of an engine. It's a hobby in itself.

Glow engines are the modelers' path to glory. Much too good for the likes of electrics.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

......................I predict that the only model airplane engine still in production 15 years from now will be the Fox stunt 35.
Like they say, only cockroaches will survive the nuclear holocaust.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Tommygun

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

There are big bucks being spent developing all aspects of electric. Electric ten years from now will be quite different, better, and cheaper than what it is today. Very little is being spent improving small internal combustion engines. I predict that the only model airplane engine still in production 15 years from now will be the Fox stunt 35.

That's a good point, BIG bucks. The electrics have the benefit of defense dollars going into R&D since all branches of the military are now using small UAVs utilizing what will become "trickle down" technology to us. They don't have any glow engine UAVs.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
carrellh

I voted "is mainly engines. will still be engines" because it was closest to my actual situation.
I have ONLY engines and will always have only engines.
Several people in our club have electric models. Some small, some pretty big. I like watching them fly but it does not make me want to buy one. If engines go away (which is doubtful) during my lifetime I will be done with RC.

I agree with Sport Pilot: If you put a similar poll in an electric forum the results will probably be very different.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
bigsteel

personally,being involved with drag racing and full size cars and practically living in my dads custom shop my entire life and a electronics engineer granfather i've had a love for any miniature gas/glow RC's.there intricate parts the amazing power to weight ratios and the ability to physically feel the engine and learn to tune and love it is just great.but on the other hand i also love how advanced electronics are today,the fastest RC's in the world i think WILL be electrics but they'll never have that hands on feel that i love in gas/glow.just my .02josh
Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: bigsteel

but on the other hand i also love how advanced electronics are today,the fastest RC's in the world i think WILL be electrics
sadly already is, nic case has set that record over and over with a shumacker running an aircraft high power castle brushless setup. last year he used a 10s lipo with i think it was 4000 mah, set speed was 160 something with a high pass of over 200 mph. if i had the tools i think i could build a nitro that topped out at 230 mph but i dont so i cant.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Barcandson
My Feedback: (20)

Our club in northeast Mass. coexists with electrics, glow, and some gas. We have old-timers with electric and newcomers with glow, and vice-versa, with mutual respect. But the fields keep getting smaller and the houses keep getting closer. Some fields are being forced to go all-electric because of the noise. So far we're ok, but we have to restrict noise levels and flight hours. It would be interesting to know the industry figures on what folks are buying for their first and then second aircraft.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Dan M
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: wcmorrison

I just can not get into electrics. So it will be engines for me rather than motors. I agee great progress has been made with electrics but the smell of burnt electrics is not as pleasant as burnt Castor to me.

Cheers,

Chip
Chip made me Chuckle , funniest post in days , thanks !
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Radimani

Thanks guys for a lot of inputs so far! The reason why the thread is in engine forum is to target the current engine enthusiasts! How does every engine lovers think about it? Please keep polling and discussing!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Radimani

Does anybody know about the update information that the EPA and the AMA have been talking about something about nitro?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: moron88

ORIGINAL: bigsteel

but on the other hand i also love how advanced electronics are today,the fastest RC's in the world i think WILL be electrics
sadly already is, nic case has set that record over and over with a shumacker running an aircraft high power castle brushless setup. last year he used a 10s lipo with i think it was 4000 mah, set speed was 160 something with a high pass of over 200 mph. if i had the tools i think i could build a nitro that topped out at 230 mph but i dont so i cant.

The current piston record is 211.69 MPH or 343.92 km/h. So, are you sure he broke the piston record. The current records show gas piston engines with somewhat higher speeds and much higher duration than battery powered electric powered planes.

http://records.fai.org/models/current.asp#data

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.