Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Engine tuning related to 'slimeyness' of plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Engine tuning related to 'slimeyness' of plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 PM
N429EM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tuning related to 'slimeyness' of plane?

Lately, I've been reading threads where members have been asking for comparisons between one engine and another. Or, between one manufacturer and another. Occasionally, someone will comment on how much more slimey a particular engine may be. Or, if properly tuned, it will decrease the 'slimeyness'.

What difference does it make, how well tuned or what size engine, or 2 or 4 stroke, or which manufacturer?

Correct me if I'm off base here, but, isn't it correct to say,"No glow engine burns the lubrication. Therefore, the amount of 'slimeyness' is directly proportional to the lubrication content of your glow fuel."?

Also, wouldn't it help to direct your exhaust in a different direction?

EJ
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Engine tuning related to 'slimeyness' of plane?

Yes

And Yes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur. At the risk of starting a flame war Ithink too many people are hung up on synthetics because they leave the plane cleaner since they burn in the combustion chamber . No thanks, Ihave some paper towels and cleaner. Ilove to see the oil spray , that way I know my engine is well lubed and happy.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Red B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two very simple mods that takes away most of the 'slimeyness' is to use a silicon exhaust deflector and fitting a carb air intake filter.
The exhaust deflector is easy to find, but you may have to shop around a little to find an air filter that fits aero engines. I prefer Tettra air filters, but BruLine is O.K. as well.

For the average sport engine the performance loss isn't much and it makes cleaning the aircraft much simpler..
Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some engines, even of the same brand and size, are more slimy than others no matter how you set the needle
Old 09-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes using a glow plug that is too hot can lead to extra sliminess. This means you must open the needle to quench the hot plug so that the timing is at or near its best setting.