Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM
dspadler
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS tuning

Ihave a OS .40 and two OS .46's that are almost new that Ibought new but have been setting up for about 2 years. Iused them just a few flights each in SPADS so when Igot out of SPADS they just sorta hung there. Ididnt put any after run in them so they were slightly stuck. Ive tried blowing them out, putting fresh fuel in them and letting them sit for a few days and then blowing them out again. Ive put them all on bench stands and tried cranking them but cant get them to crank. Now Ive screwed up the High and lows so much that now Idont even know where to begin again. Ihavent flown any for awhile and when Istopped Iwas into gas so Iquess my senior mentally is taking over and either my patience is getting less or Ihave just plain forgot how to get a 2 stroke to run from scratch especially one that has been sitting up. This isnt a biggy but Iwould love to get them running again because they are to nice of engines to just let sit around as much as engines cost now. Who knows Imight even decide to build somemore SPADS and need them. If some of you guys can lead me to a web site or a thread, or just explain to me what Icando to get these engines back in service again Iwould appreciate it.
Thanks Guys

Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: OS tuning

I'd just open the high needle a couple turns and the throttle at a high idle and start them up
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Are you trying to flip start them or do you have an electric starter? The electric starter can ease some frustration as you can usually get even a poorly tuned engine to start and run long enough to determine which way you need to adjust it. The high speed needle should be about be about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns out. With your throttle set between 3/4 and wide open, and the high speed at 2 1/2 turns out you should be able to get them to run, even if the low speed is still out of adjustment. It will likely be a little rich with the HS at 2 1/2 turns, but it should run.

I've never had to mess with my low speed needles on my Os engines, but I seem to recall that they also should be about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out. If you haven't messed with them, I'd leave them where they are and proceed as I described. If you have moved the low speed needles and don't remember where they were set, I'd open them about 2 turns and tune from there, after you find a high speed setting that lets the engine run.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dspadler

Ive put them all on bench stands and tried cranking them but cant get them to crank.

Do you mean you can't turn them over, or you can't get them to start?

If they won't turn over, the I would do the following. PUll the glow plug, pull the carb off, pull the back plate. Put the carb in a glass baby food jar with enough fuel to cover it. Squirt some fuel in the back plate and up into the piston. Squirt some fuel in the glow plug hole, squirt some fuel in the carb mount hole. Maybe a heat gun on low heat. It woun't take much before you can turn it freely. Check the carb. It may be a good idea to pull the high speed needle completely and hook up the fuel line. Blow in the vent line and you shoud see fuel going into the carb and dripping out of the throat. I may be a good idea to pull the idle mix screw and blow fuel through it also. Once the carb moves freely put things back to gether and do the inital needle settings per previous insturctions. Check that the glow plug glows. Put it back in and start the puppy.

Don
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
dspadler
My Feedback: (22)

I can turn the engine, the pistons will move but I just cant get them to crank (start).  The turns on the High and low was what I had forgotten so tomorrow Ill try it again.   Ive cleaned and blow and ran fuel thru and over and in everything so Im assuming that any old fuel (gum) should be out. I figured that  at least 1 out of 3 would have fired.   Using new glow plugs and fresh fuel but maybe the elec. starter is the answer...Yeah a chicken stick gets sorta old quick!! LOL   Ok thanks guys youre all great as always.  Appreciate the info.  I swear sometimes I think Im getting Alzhimers. LOL
Thanks
Don
N.C

Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: dspadler

...I swear sometimes I think Im getting Alzhimers. LOL
Thanks
Don
N.C
They say the memory is the second thing to go...and I can't remember what's first.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 AM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every engine I get... I automatically download the correct manual onto my computer. That way, even when ....(not if ).... I lose the original manual, I can look things up and print out a page or two if I need it. The manual will tell you the correct needle setting for initial startup. OS has their manuals on their web pages. regards, Rich

p.s. there is difference between the start-up needle setting for the OS (FX) and the OS (AX) engines. One of my club "experts" spent twenty minutes trying to start my AX using the older engine's starting position. The manual solved the problem. RG
Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
All glow engines are made the same way, started the same way and are treated the same way!!
Just see to that the engine gets choked first and add the electric starter and adjust the high speed needle when the engine gets started
What's the fuzz???