Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YS FZ110S VS FZ110

I have had a couple of the older YS110 engines with good success. I recently purchased the newer YS 110-S and have been told that these engines had a lot of issues which is why YS is introducing the new 115. Is there anyone who has experience with both 110 engines that can give some input? If the newer 110 is going to be a problem engine I do not want to risk a plane knowing this going into it.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: YS FZ110S VS FZ110

Have put about 10 gallons of Morgan Cool Power heli fuel (30% nitro, 23% low viscosity synthetic oil) in flying my YS110S with no problems. Engine set up according to Troy Newman (see http://www.patternflyer.com/troy/?page_id=13). Engine is reliable, and very powerful.

Happy Flying!
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's no material difference in the layout of a 115 over the 110S
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

have been running my 110S for 7 months now.
    have only had to lean the HS needle as it reached complete break-in.
    since then (about 6 months) i haven't touched anything...........virtually ran right out of the box.

the problems i see and have read about is due to needle tweakers..........mostly the cause of the issue with a spun brass collar is from the tweakers overheating this engine, and the collar moves to a new posistion which cuts off the pressure hole to the reg.

once a YS is set (as you already know) it's set.

i'm interested in the new regulator on the 115, but i'll have to blow up my 110S first to fulfill the curiosity.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Guys. My oldest YS, since it was broken in, has not had to be adjusted any. I use YS 20/20 and it runs the same when the weather is hot or cold. I was in LHS this weekend and there were 4 flyers in there that had nothing good to say about the newer "S" version and I was just spooked a little and wanted more info.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a used YS-110S and ended up dorking the front bushing (spun it slightly so it covered up the front nipple hole) due to a tuning problem (read my fault). I sent it back to YSPartsandService and the fixed it and returned it quickly. I've got it back and have flown the plane once (lost the canopy) and am now waiting on a replacement part for the plane to fly it again. I'm a 4-stroke noob and this engine is a beast no doubt but a bit difficult to tune but once it is right, HANG ON!.

Good luck....
    \"Hey!!! That tree was NOT there when I took off!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not everyone likes Y-S engines.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only ones that don't like them are the guys that have no idea what they are doing with them, and are happy with far less performance from other engine makers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Possibly, if you're living in a location with ZERO climate variations... but if you're living like most of us, temp changes day day not to mention seasons, you'll most diffinatelt have to "twiddle" the needle.I've used YS engines almost exclusively for over 10 years and there's certainly been a neccesity to make adjustments.Could never understand folks paranoia about having to bend down and adjust the NV but never mind.Point is that, YS engines need constant attention, if everything 100% they'll deliver 125%! In the competition scene it's accepted that repetively strip down services and rebuilds are a completely normal part of operation/ownership deal. This mind set doesn't necessarily agree with sports usage and if you're not up for it or will to pay the costs, it's best you stay clear of these engines. Remember these are performance motors and like anything thats streched to the limit, things will happen.The .91 AC had issues, the .91FZ had issues, the 110 had issues, the 1.10S has issues and so with the 1.15. It's gaurenteed! If you can live with that, fix-em... great. If not, stay away. But remember, it will need servicing, on a regular basis. And the occasional "twiddle" regardless of what people say.
    Best Regards: davidbathe.com
    Occasional Aircraft Illustrations.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Possibly, if you're living in a location with ZERO climate variations... but if you're living like most of us, temp changes day day not to mention seasons, you'll most diffinatelt have to ''twiddle'' the needle.I've used YS engines almost exclusively for over 10 years and there's certainly been a neccesity to make adjustments.Could never understand folks paranoia about having to bend down and adjust the NV but never mind.Point is that, YS engines need constant attention, if everything 100% they'll deliver 125%! In the competition scene it's accepted that repetively strip down services and rebuilds are a completely normal part of operation/ownership deal. This mind set doesn't necessarily agree with sports usage and if you're not up for it or will to pay the costs, it's best you stay clear of these engines. Remember these are performance motors and like anything thats streched to the limit, things will happen.The .91 AC had issues, the .91FZ had issues, the 110 had issues, the 1.10S has issues and so with the 1.15. It's gaurenteed! If you can live with that, fix-em... great. If not, stay away. But remember, it will need servicing, on a regular basis. And the occasional ''twiddle'' regardless of what people say.

the last and final HS (and the only adjustment for that matter) needle adjustment was done on a 108* day. since then the 110 has been flown in 40-50* weather and not a single change.............you probably are running the wrong fuel, wrong prop, or you have not broken the engine in properly is the usual items that cause tuning differences to happen..........or, some people just can't leave the needles alone.
    makes me wonder how car,generator,motorcycle and other engine makers get their engines to run right without making adjustments on a day to day basis.
    your "tear down" analogy is bogus, and justifies as a needle tweaker. one of our club members bought a YS 91 and had nothing but fits with it......he tweaked this and that and once i talked to him he admitted things like "well i thought the regulater wasn't delivering" and "i always retune before each flight" and that is why an OS or a TT engine is better suited for this guy. he finally had to send the 91 off to YS service because through all the smoking (read that as overheated) overlean runs he had really screwed this engine up. it came back and ran perfectly for the first flight......2 flights later he had it totally screwed up again.

but you are saying even a few degrees in climate change will require tuning?...........and the new 115 is sure to have problems?.............i have 2 110s's and both run exactly the same.
    why am i the only one to be able to get them to run as designed?
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Once it's run-in and set, I may mess with the needle about 4 times a year if that. Temps run from 45 to 109F when I fly. If it suddenly starts acting funny, I'm thinking new glow plug, no sense in chasing after a plug that's on it's way out. Regulator screw almost never.

Consistent fuel batches are my main problem.
    Oooh eee oooh ah ah(the crowd) ting tang walla walla bing bang!(the plane crash)