Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Running in AP Wasp .15

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running in AP Wasp .15

I just bought this engine to give more power to my small 3-D plane now equipped with Norvel .061. I have only ran it for about 15 minutes now and it tached 16400 rpm on a MAS 7-4. Then I removed a headshim and drilled the stinger and it went to 17500 rpm. My last attempt was without the muffler and it really came to life and screamed like there`s no tomorrow I didn`t tach it at that time because it was dragging my test stand alongside my bench so I had to hold on to it[sm=lol.gif]

I will try to tach it tomorrow, but this engine looks very cool, internally it was great, clean with no metal shavings. The engine throttles well and it still does even without muffler and pressure to the tank and it is easy starting. It was however squeeking tight out of the box, so I preheated it before it`s first start, but now it is already becoming smooth and snappy. Looks very promising indeed[8D]
Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
icemanx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Running in AP Wasp .15

Hello. I have a .15 ap too. But some planes it isnt fits the plane because of the muffler. I need to move the firewall back. What if i connect the muffler with silicone tube? did you tried it?
Sorry for my bad English
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I haven`t tried that. I think it will be difficult to connect the silicone tube to the engine as there`s only a hole with threads inside to connect it too. Maybe get a aluminum/steel pipe threaded to fit the hole and then screw it into the back of the engine and then connect a tubing of some sort to lead the exhaust where you want it? I use this engine for spesific purposes only so it is perfect for me as it is

The muffler is very restrictive by the way, my engine tachs 19500 rpm without the muffler on the same prop as tested above
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to recall bringing an 09 or 15 AP to a hardware store and trial-fitting standard screws to the muffler threads in the case.

The 09 and 15 cases look about identical from the outside, with the rod, piston and top pieces sized to attain the different displacements.

Seem to recall that a standard (metric?) thread was a correct fit. Quite a while ago; sorry I can't be more precise. An extension tube might create a serviceable muffler by itself, if length provides expansion volume similar to the 'snare drum' stock item, and the outlet is less stifling.

In control-line, many stunt engines use "chip" or "tongue" type "mufflers" to subdue noise and provide for pressurizing the fuel tank. Such pieces look like a capped extension to a typical muffler, with numerous holes drilled into a side face to form the outlet. I don't know how well they suppress the noise level, but for an AP 09 or 15 it may be sufficient...

Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iused a pipe thread close nipple to connect a mousse pipe to mine, but Isold it before Ihad a chance to test it.