Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Megatech 46 anyone running one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:02 AM
MartyH
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megatech 46 anyone running one?

I have managed to get my hands on two of the Megatech 46 engines now. They seem like typical ABC 2 stroke glow 46 engines. They have great compression and are very free turning otherwise. The first one is going on my newly framed up Wild Wiz 60 which calls for a 40 up to a light 60. I'm just wondering if anyone else is running this engine. I guess they were being delivered on a 40 size trainer originally?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Megatech 46 anyone running one?

ORIGINAL: MartyH

I have managed to get my hands on two of the Megatech 46 engines now. They seem like typical ABC 2 stroke glow 46 engines. They have great compression and are very free turning otherwise. The first one is going on my newly framed up Wild Wiz 60 which calls for a 40 up to a light 60. I'm just wondering if anyone else is running this engine. I guess they were being delivered on a 40 size trainer originally?
A few years ago, I ordered two, for a twin project. Turned out I used .40's on that TwinStar instead, and the .46's sat around for a while. I put together a little ARF and put one of the .46's on it. Started immediately (by hand), ran just fine, flew the plane with virtually no break-in run (I know, risky.) Then the landing gear broke, in medium length grass, no bounce or anything, just running along in the grass. The whole plane sat for about a year, until I came up with landing gear that suited me.

When I got the gear replaced, the engine started just fine, again by hand. Flew the plane a little, decided it was heavy and not very agile, stripped the radio & engine out and sold the plane. Looking for a plane to put that engine in, now!

If yours is the same, should work fine.
Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Scar

ORIGINAL: MartyH

A few years ago, I ordered two, for a twin project. Turned out I used .40's on that TwinStar instead, and the .46's sat around for a while. I put together a little ARF and put one of the .46's on it. Started immediately (by hand), ran just fine, flew the plane with virtually no break-in run (I know, risky.) Then the landing gear broke, in medium length grass, no bounce or anything, just running along in the grass. The whole plane sat for about a year, until I came up with landing gear that suited me.

When I got the gear replaced, the engine started just fine, again by hand. Flew the plane a little, decided it was heavy and not very agile, stripped the radio & engine out and sold the plane. Looking for a plane to put that engine in, now!

If yours is the same, should work fine.
Good luck,
Dave Olson

I've heard good things about the Megatech engines from those that used them. I have a .61 and a .46. The .46 was bench ran. Like the OP said, not much of a break-in was needed.

They looked a lot like GMS engines, though there is another manufacturer whose engines had a similar appearance.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM
kristj179

i have never tried one personaly? but can you tell me were i can purchase one? for my cub[&o]
Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
jeffie8696

http://www.megatech.com/engine_categories.php
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

What's a Chianelli? <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
jeffie8696

Car engine. Named after some famous car racer guy Ithink .
Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 AM
MartyH

It's likely named after Chris Chianelli who was big into R/C, especially cars. He eventually found his way to the DIY Network before passing away in his sleep a year or so back. He was a goofy, over the top character that I didnt really care for (dont know him personally) but you couldnt deny his enthusiasm for the hobby.

In regards to where to buy Megatech, I had the same question. I bought my two .46s from eBay in two different sales. I'm bidding on the 61 thats on there now. I did run across a place yesterday that was selling off their 61s for $79.99. http://www.atsrcplanes.com/megatechengines.htm

Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

These were originally sold by AHC in New York - are they still around? I'm sure it was a re-branded engine and as I recall thee were several others by different companies - same engine.

Paul
Old 12-15-2009, 09:33 AM
kristj179

thank you for the info guys.....[8D]
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I believe the .46 is a re-branded LEO, from taiwan.

JustEngines in the UK sold Leo's for a while, but have now dropped them from their stable of engines.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:05 PM
MartyH

No one is flying the Megatech 46 right now?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They were more popular some 10 yrs ago
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
MartyH

Well, they obviously aren't popular now! I have two of them and they look like a typical .46 2 stroke and they have a great feel to them. The first one is going on the new version of a Haslam Hobbies Wild Wiz 60. A far cry from the trainer it probably was removed from.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 PM
RJConnet

I have a Leo .46 that was sold by AHC badged as a Royal. Bought it for about 50 bucks 8-10 years ago. Had some teething problems with the low speed adjustment changing in flight due to a poor o-ring seal on the low speed needle. Changing to a slightly fatter o-ring took care of that problem and the operation has been great with no more problems. The engine has now been in three different planes. A Sig Something Extra, a GP 40 sized Kaos, and a OMP Katana profile fun-fly. Couldn't ask for a more reliable easy starting, steady running engine. Probably a few hundred RPM down on some of the stuff available today but real bang for the buck.........RJ [8D]