Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution 60 NX in a 40 size case...

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evolution 60 NX in a 40 size case...

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evolution 60 NX in a 40 size case...

I had to click on RCU's banner for the Evo 60 NX when I saw it said it was in a 40 size case. I did some compairisons of the competition figuring the OS .55AX being the closest thing to it. Right now with Tower's discout the OS 55ax can be had for $5 less than the Evo 60nx and their numbers seem in line with eachother as far as props they spin (I never look at the so called power rating). Regular 60 size engines seam to be between 23 oz and up to 29 oz. This 60 nx comes in at 17.13 oz w/ the muffler and the OS 55ax weighs in at 18.52 oz w/ muffler. One ounce saved on the nose of a 40 size plane can be a huge savings of weight in the tail. Additionally the 60nx has a 60 size exhaust port matching that of the OS 61SF and FX engines meaning for those that would use a tuned pipe you can get the propper volume header and pipe for the cubic inches of the engine. The OS 55ax has an exhaust port of a .40 engine and you would be limited to 40 sized tuned pipes.

Well these are just some thoughts I had while compairing engines. If you can think of anything I'm missing here, let's hear it. I want the pro's and con's before I pull the trigger on getting one of these to make a 40 size big stick go fast. Conciderations specific to my decision are:

1) I already have an OS 55AX w/ Mac's tuned pipe (simple black one)
2) I also have a Mac's full tuned exhaust for the OS/TT 61's ($100 pipe and header)
3) The plane had a TT Pro 61 on it, which I still have, with the before mentioned pipe (just too heavy)
4) I would save 8 oz off the nose using the OS 55 ax
5) I would save 9 oz off the nose using the Evo 60 nx
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evolution 60 NX in a 40 size case...

I looked at Horizon Hobby's web page on the EVO engines. I found that the EVO 60NX had essentially the same foot print as the 46, but weighed in 16.32 OZ (Engine only, with muffler or pipe much heavier). The .46 weighhed less. Did I read something wrong? Do you have a special engine? I think you need to go back and look at the weights and reread the hype. Horizon seems to indicate the engines fit in the same bolt pattern meaning a bigger more powerful engine fitting into a smaller location, not a weight reduction.

I would not worry to much about butt weight since you are going up in power considerably. An ounce or two in the butt, set way back, say just forward of the verticle (rudder) can easily compensate for the additional weight. The 60 is volumetrically 30% more capacity than a 46. Without much thought that seems to indicate a considerable greater prop and similar RPMs ~ a lot more power!

Don't know what you are doing with the engine, the kind of airplane, so it is hard to draw any final conclusions. But in general a 60 size engine is gonna make a 40 sized airplane really zip along. An ounce or two added to a 5 pound plane is not much, maybe a 3 to 5% weight gain. That is not a big trade off when you are increasing the power 30% and the weight by 5%. Its gonna rip.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one yesterday, and weighed both a EVO .46 @ 14.25 less muffler and a .60NX @ 14.30 less muffler @ the store before I purchased it.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM
carrellh

I've read varying reports that "advertised" weights are not always accurate, but, from http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0600
Total Weight: 17.13 oz
Engine Weight: 13.93 oz
Muffler Weight: 3.2 oz

>> While I was typing we got a current report of real weight being 0.4 ounces heavier than advertised weight for this engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12696.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1342823  
Old 12-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: wcmorrison

I looked at Horizon Hobby's web page on the EVO engines. I found that the EVO 60NX had essentially the same foot print as the 46, but weighed in 16.32 OZ (Engine only, with muffler or pipe much heavier). [b]The .46 weighhed less. Did I read something wrong?[/b] Do you have a special engine? I think you need to go back and look at the weights and reread the hype. Horizon seems to indicate the engines fit in the same bolt pattern meaning a bigger more powerful engine fitting into a smaller location, not a weight reduction.

I would not worry to much about butt weight since you are going up in power considerably. An ounce or two in the butt, set way back, say just forward of the verticle (rudder) can easily compensate for the additional weight. The 60 is volumetrically 30% more capacity than a 46. Without much thought that seems to indicate a considerable greater prop and similar RPMs ~ a lot more power!

Don't know what you are doing with the engine, the kind of airplane, so it is hard to draw any final conclusions. But in general a 60 size engine is gonna make a 40 sized airplane really zip along. An ounce or two added to a 5 pound plane is not much, maybe a 3 to 5% weight gain. That is not a big trade off when you are increasing the power 30% and the weight by 5%. Its gonna rip.

Cheers,

Chip
Yes, you did read something wrong. I was compairing the OS .55ax and other 60 size engines to this engine (similar power), not the .46's
Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the replacement prices of sleeves and pistons between Evolution and OS, and that may make up your mind for you. In case you crash the engine some day, compare prices of the crankshaft and case.

The reviews by Clarence Lee pretty much validates the same quality between both brands in the other sizes. I would give Evolution the edge for using chromed liners, and the 3 year warranty.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: blw

Look at the replacement prices of sleeves and pistons between Evolution and OS, and that may make up your mind for you. In case you crash the engine some day, compare prices of the crankshaft and case.

The reviews by Clarence Lee pretty much validates the same quality between both brands in the other sizes. I would give Evolution the edge for using chromed liners, and the 3 year warranty.
Good points! I just replaced a piston and sleeve in an Evo 1.00 NX for $40 and the replacement P&S for an OS .55ax is $89 and would cost $112 for my OS .91fx[:'(]
Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 PM
fly24-7

Can anyone out there that has a 60 provide a bottom of the crankcase to the top of the head measurement. I'm interested in seeing how much taller the 60 stands. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Have a look here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9456281/tm.htm
Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 AM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: proptop

Have a look here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9456281/tm.htm
Thanks for the info. Looks like the difference in height from the 46 is negliable. The 60 should fit in a cowl about the same as a 46.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 AM
greekmath

Hello all. I saw this thread and it interested me because I have been looking at the same issues of weight and power. My approach/issue was a bit different I think in that I was looking for the best 2 stroke versus 4 stroke to power my profiles which are multiplying faster than my budget for expensive 4 strokes!

I was interested in seeing if I could find a less expensive way to power my typical 48 inch span 5 pound profile planes than the superlative and superlatively expensive YS 63's and 70's I have been using.

I have done a lot of weighing and measuring and in the final analysis I can really only judge by the way the planes perform. In other words in spite of trying hard to document with stats and predict the outcomes it still boiled down to observation and personal experience.

These are my conclusions; if you can afford them nothing beats a great 4 stroke for profile planes. I have used Saito 72's 82's and ys 63 and the 63 is the clear winner on power. The Saitos are great but the difference is measurable in actual flight performance. The 82 is a great engine light weight and powerful but I would tell you the YS 63 has it beat no question.

Of the 2 cycles; I have had predictable results. Used a cheap magnum 52 XL and burned out the bearings with an APC 13x4W prop. Just too much prop for this engine. The Evo 60 NX spins that prop fine and performs well enough but no where near any of the 4 strokes. The tuned pipe option really doesn't fit here because more rpms are not needed, more torque is. Still in the correct application, a 40 sized plane the evo 60 is clearly far more powerful than the typical 40-46 and the Jett muffler puts it into the 16+K range with a 10x6.

The biggest difference in the 2 strokes is in vertical and throttle response. To hover my planes I need to keep the 2 cycle throttled up in the ¾ range and there is a slow spool up from there to pull out of the vertical with not much leeway for a mistake. Hence I save the low altitude hovers for the 4 strokes which have a much more positive and instantaneous throttle and vertical pull out response.

I have had great results with the OS 55 AX in my profiles and remarkably it comes close to the ys with the same prop in overall power, in flight performance. Its also very reliable has great throttle transition and is a fuel miser. Compared to the Evo 60nx it is a far better choice for a profile plane and one that rivals the 4 strokes in applicable performance at a much lower price. I realize the more sensible of you would have already figured out that 4 strokes are generally superior to 2 strokes in profile applications; still it was a fun experiment and in the future might save me some money. Really love the AX 55 as a reasonable substitute for the more expensive 4 strokes (which incidentally all weigh close to 18 ounces in this 70-80 displacement). I have some cheap Chinese 72’s and 80’s from ASP via Nitro On the bench they seem quite strong but are 4 ounces heavier than the engines above so I doubt I will put them in small profile ships!

I also have a new Rossi .57 which is supposedly designed for profiles so I will post on that result at some point when its warm again!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: greekmath

I also have a new Rossi .57 which is supposedly designed for profiles so I will post on that result at some point when its warm again!
GM,

There is no such thing as a 'Rossi .57' and I believe there never was one.

There is, however a [link=http://www.novarossi.it/eng/products/engines/rex/plane/overview.php?name=R57CR&brand=rex&display=public]Novarossi .57RC engine[/link].
It is designed by Cesare Rossi, who is one of the original Rossi brothers. But Novarossi is a completely separate company, who make engines that differ considerably from original Rossi engines.

The closest mid-frame Rossi engine is [link=http://shop.vendio.com/RossiEnginesUSA/item/2046726038/index.html]the .53[/link], which is very powerful in its own right and has lately been updated to the bolt-through exhaust mounting design.

EDIT: Typo.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:39 AM
bkhart
My Feedback: (6)

This .60 NX sounds like a great engine. It size and weight made me wonder how it compares with my K&B .61 Twister. My Twist weighs 14 ounces without muffler. For some people it might be a good alternative especially since it's a good bit cheaper down to $79.99 with a trade in.
Best regards, Bill
Old 05-02-2011, 04:55 AM
playntraffic

Evo 60 nx Carb

OD .53
ID .36
Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 PM
greekmath

sorry my bad you are correct the .57 is a nova rossi big difference! It pulls a 13x 4 weel at about 12,000 rpms but I have not put it in a plane yet!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
greekmath

HI All this is another follow up in the 2 stroke versus 4 stroke experiment. I have yet to put the (Nova) Rossi .57 in a plane but it runs very well and is extremely strong. My general impression though is that while it is sold by planethobby.com as a '3 D' engine it seems to be timed for smaller props at higher rpms. I have to slap a 14x4 on it to confirm, and also have to get it into a plane, the choice being the aero works 260 profile in the .46 size range.

In the meantime I came across a wonderful series of engines in the recent OS line. I have run both the LA 65 and the AX 65 in 5.5 pound "50" size profiles and have gotten fabulous results. They are quiet incredibly reliable transition flawlessly and have plenty of power for this size of profile plane. They tolerate all kinds of throttle mashing and high G maneuvers and sip fuel although full power is rarely needed. Since the AX 65 tips the scales at $200 if you are on a budget you will like the LA 65. The extra 70 bucks for the AX gets you, ball bearings which can be replaced as opposed to bushings, 1 ounce weight savings (putting the 65 AX close to some heavy .40’s) and an extra 200 rpms (10K) with a 14x4 prop (XOAR).

For those of you who want ‘4 stroke’ behavior for less money I think you’ll be very happy with this engine.
As far as the NX 61 I think it is also better suited to sport 40 ish applications as it likes smaller props and higher rpm’s better. I have found this out since I posted my original comment so please note this is a bit of a change of opinion on where this particular engine fits.
GM
Old 05-07-2011, 10:13 PM
DarZeelon

GM,

The [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVOE0600]Evo .60NX[/link] and the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVOE0611]Evo .61NX[/link], are two very different engines...

The former is discussed in this thread and is a light, .40 frame-size, $150 engine.
The latter is by these standards, an 'outdated', heavy, cumbersome, full-size engine of roughly the same displaceement; that has the advantage of costing $30 less.

Don't confuse between the two.
The .61NX is definitely not suited for a .40 size sport plane. It is too heavy for that.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Ernie Misner

Didn't early reports on the Evo .60NX say that it didn't run well with the smallish supplied muffler?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Uh-oh! Incoming!!!

There are two subjects that one never talks bad about on RCU. They are Saito and Evolution glow engines.

I like Sanye engines, generally (the makers of the Evolution glow engines), but I can't stand the Evolution two-stroke's twisted cylinder fin appearance or their high prices. But that's just me.

No, I haven't owned one or seen one fly, other than my Evolution 26 GT gas/oil engine (an MVVS). I do not doubt that they are capable engines, however. After all, my ASP and Magnum engines run just fine, so the Evolution engines by the same manufacturer should run fine too.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-08-2011, 05:36 AM
blw

Ed, you can Like whatever you wish. You have probably owned more engines than most members.

I agree about the fin design and most feel the same way about them.

My opinion is the Evolutions are supposed to be the top of the Sanye line.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Nevermind.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: blw

Ed, you can Like whatever you wish. You have probably owned more engines than most members.

I agree about the fin design and most feel the same way about them.

My opinion is the Evolutions are supposed to be the top of the Sanye line.

I'm just trying to stir up some conversation, blw. Not an argument. Just in case you were wondering. As I have stated previously, I like Sanye engines and I like them a lot.

I get a little nonplussed when American importers try to sell we Americans on the idea that a Magnum or an Evolution engine is in the same class as an OS engine, based solely on their own creative marketing hype.

I don't blame anyone for trying to make a buck. It is how we in the West survive. But sometimes I just have to challenge the status quo of marketing hype/perceptions being everything and real world technical performance being nothing or insignificant.

While it is true that Magnum and Evolution engines are good running engines, they are not quite equal with OS Engines - in my opinion. In some ways that count very much (parts prices), one could consider Magnum and Evolution way ahead of OS Engines.

Speaking of OS, their styling has left their traditional excellent, no nonsense styling and is now following the styling of some of the most recent four-stroke motorcycle manufacturers. Of course, there are plenty of folks that like that styling over the old stodgy appearance that I prefer. So be it.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to speak additionally on this topic. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Ed Cregger

Old 05-08-2011, 12:06 PM
blw

Ed,

If you took my comments that way, then I worded it wrong and my apologies. I really meant that you could like or dislike the style, and was just doing like you in stirring up conversation. I can live with it, but I would rather live without the look on my engines. I have the 36, 45, and 46. I've flown the 40 and 52.

Like you, I like the style and finish of OS engines, and I like the Evo parts pricing better too.

I'm impressed by the Evolution engines that I've been around. They are well made and all have more power than you would first expect.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Ernie Misner

What about the supplied muffler with the Evo 60NX? Is it really way too restrictive?

thanks,

Ernie
Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

What about the supplied muffler with the Evo 60NX? Is it really way too restrictive?

thanks,

Ernie
Not really restrictive, just lacks a few things that add power. Volume can help, such as what the discontinued Tower muffler had. The most power can be made with a Macs tuned pipe followed closely by a quarter wave tuned Evo muffler, aka Jett. Bang for the buck, compactness and simplicity, the Evolution TUNED muffler rules.