Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS .60FP

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .60FP

I have a question as to the relative value of a piston/liner assembly for the above mentioned engine. A short history. I bought this engine on Ebay. The engine looked like it had never been run but the liner was peeling and I never could get it to run properly. I have read that a peeling liner probably won't affect the running of an engine, but this puppy never did run for me and this ain't my first rodeo. So, I just took the engine apart and have been looking for a liner or piston/liner assembly for it since. A couple weeks ago I placed a want ad in another forum for such an assembly and got a response almost immediately from a member who had two. One of them was used and the other had been "replated" by a local machine shop. After a couple of exchanged emails, I sent him one indicating that I would be interested in either one of his assemblies even though I was unsure what "replated" locally meant. I shot him a price that I would like to stay around that I thought was fair but have not heard from him since. Evidently I was so low that he chose not to respond. I know what I can buy a new or like new FP for and that was kind of what I based by offer on. My question concerns what you guys would think a liner or liner/piston assembly, used, would be worth. Evidently, I really pissed him off and that was not my intention. So what should I offer for the same equipment should I run across it again? What would be a fair price? Thanks. And give me an honest opinion. You won't upset me no matter what you say.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS .60FP

When they were in production, the piston and liner assy was between $60. and $70.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .60FP

G'day Sadly, I think this is one you are better to simply write down to experience and move on. There are going to be lots of worn out FPs out there looking for liners and the chance of finding one at a reasonable price is not large.

I think if it were me, I would put that engine in my "Engines to look at" collection and buy another engine.

I have found that buying engines on eBay is not generally a bad experience but there are always a few that get through the net. Fortunately so far, my worst experiences were an Enya 46 four stroke that would not even turn over and a nice open rocker OS 60 four stroke which had a bent pushrod thanks to poor packing. The Enya cleaned up in the crock pot and I straightened the push rod though really I should make another one.

Have you tried to get redress through eBay? If you pay with PayPal they advertise all sorts of protection. Whether it is worth anything is another question.

As for what a liner is worth. How long is a piece of string? It is worth what you are prepared to pay and what a seller thinks it is worth. The price of current OS parts is quite high and it is often simply better to buy whole new engines than to repair damaged or worn ones. Once they become obsolete and the spare parts dry up, things become complicated. If the engine has great collector value then perhaps it is worth buying expensive parts but if it is just an engine to use, then it is generally not worth it.

Sorry to sound so gloomy but I suspect from your comments that you have been in this game for a while and deep down you probably know all this anyway.

Michael from Oz.