Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
Horizon needs to improve there support of spare parts
72.92%
Horizon stocks enough replacement parts
27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

It is not the Engine makers fault. HORIZON PUTS THERE NAME ON IT, AND THATS WHO THE END CUSTOMER DEALS WITH.

Don't blow a gasket there, Motorman37. It's just a toy airplane engine.

Actually, I don't think there is anyone specifically at fault, other than a customer with unrealistic expectations.

As I've said, over the decades I have seen this type of situation occur time after time and with more than just model engines. My friend was really steamed when his brand new car had to sit at the dealership for nearly six months. I wish I could remember the brand of the car. I'm sure it will come back to me eventually.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a great experience with Kangke, who distribute SK and JBA engines.

I needed a high speed needle valve ratchet spring clip for an old Tiger Shark (TSI) 46 size carby.

I asked for two online, and paid by PayPal.

I received, promptly considering I am in Australia:

1. 2 new SK clips, nickle finished, with carby spigot "O" rings.

2. 3 NOS TSI spring clips, identical to the SK clips except they were a black oxide finish.

All for my 5 clams. These clips also fit the ASP/SC/Magnum 2 stroke engines of equivalent size.

I was happy with this service and will support this business.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

It is not the Engine makers fault. HORIZON PUTS THERE NAME ON IT, AND THATS WHO THE END CUSTOMER DEALS WITH.

Don't blow a gasket there, Motorman37. It's just a toy airplane engine.

Actually, I don't think there is anyone specifically at fault, other than a customer with unrealistic expectations.

As I've said, over the decades I have seen this type of situation occur time after time and with more than just model engines. My friend was really steamed when his brand new car had to sit at the dealership for nearly six months. I wish I could remember the brand of the car. I'm sure it will come back to me eventually.

I have never needed to waite for my Import cars, but then again I never needed parts for them. I am going to try to run one of them this weekend. I will either run the Modded one, or the stock one which should be here tomorrow. I have to see whats going on first.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are probably a few things that you all need to know about the "parts" business... motors, cars, you name it... parts.

I would guess that Horizon ends their fiscal year on 12/31. They need to minimize their parts inventory levels to avoid unnecessary taxes and minimize the impact of inventory on the balance sheet.

Also, parts that they DO stock usually have a priority attached to them... some for warranty needs, some for reseller partners to purchase, etc.. At the bottom of the availability totem pole are the retail customers... you and me. if there are parts available that haven't been sold or allocated to higher priority needs, and that available balance exceeds planned needs for the next order cycle.... then you can buy them.

In today's economy, most manufacturers will bring in VERY LITTLE (if any) inventory specifically planned for retail users. You can put your parts order on backorder, and that will probably be added to their next order to that manufacturer..... that's probably where the April dates you hear are coming from.

If you want your motor repaired any time soon, your best bet is to send it to them and pay full price for the parts and labor. There are probably parts available for that.

I know that these motors aren't highly sophisticated, and most folks familiar with internal combustion motors can rebuild one of these with a blindfold on.. but in today's world, the parts are going to take a while to get in.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 PM
tony0707

HI THE EVO 60 NX IS SO new i see no info anywere on how the engine performsa few select guys have them but live were it is too cold to run themseeing as an engine is always worth more in parts than it is to purchase the engine whole why does't HORIZION just break down a few engines they have and sell them as parts to be accomodating to there customers ? making money and good customer service all at the same time-BEATS ME
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
reyn3545

Tearing an engine down for parts requires labor, and if you repackage those parts to try and sell as "new" parts (even though they are).... the gubment will have an issue with your business practices. Horizon imports these engines, and because of this, there are import taxes applied. Diffferent taxes are applied to parts than are applied to finished goods... it's just too complicated to bring motors in and tear them down for parts.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
chrisdodge65
My Feedback: (47)

Evo engines are great for fellow RC pilots on a limited income.They deliver the power for the applications needed.Granted not as much power as the OS and Satio line.People that have stayed with one product name and had nothing but good luck will stay till who knows.Big name engines have their own hicups as well.OS engines are finicky and not exactly "user friendly" right out from the box.Takes time for an OS engine to get to it's peak performance.Providing it's broken in properly.Evos come from the factory broken in or partly broken in.Easy to set the low end and high end with the limiters.So not to get too rich or lean.Good idea for some.But a pain for the majority.So the moral for my post is this.We are not stupid.Just set in our ways.Lets be nice to one another.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: tony0707

HI THE EVO 60 NX IS SO new i see no info anywere on how the engine performsa few select guys have them but live were it is too cold to run themseeing as an engine is always worth more in parts than it is to purchase the engine whole why does't HORIZION just break down a few engines they have and sell them as parts to be accomodating to there customers ? making money and good customer service all at the same time-BEATS ME

I asked if they could create a parts engine, and they told me they are not set up to do that.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Iflyglow

From there specs 11-7 @ 13,500. It appears as if this engine will be more powerfull than the OS .55AX. I am hoping that this is going to be the next Small Block Short Stroke .60 size screamer, this side of a JETT. The Timing appears to be set up for Pipe use according to there marketing department.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: tony0707

I am going to try to get them (2) run this weekend. It will depend on whats going on and the weather. I am curious as to how they both will run.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: fiery

Just had a great experience with Kangke, who distribute SK and JBA engines.

I needed a high speed needle valve ratchet spring clip for an old Tiger Shark (TSI) 46 size carby.

I asked for two online, and paid by PayPal.

I received, promptly considering I am in Australia:

1. 2 new SK clips, nickle finished, with carby spigot ''O'' rings.

2. 3 NOS TSI spring clips, identical to the SK clips except they were a black oxide finish.

All for my 5 clams. These clips also fit the ASP/SC/Magnum 2 stroke engines of equivalent size.

I was happy with this service and will support this business.

I had a nice experience with Hobby People a few years ago too. I had a little Magnum 4 stroke that needed a Carb part that was not available seperate, and the guy told me to mail in the broken part and he sent me a totally brand new complete Carb. That engine was out of warranty and I had broke it.[X(]
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Iflyglow

Here are some pictures of the Cleaned up Sleeve. As long as the sleeve does not grenade since it is quite thin[X(], it should scream. When I run the two of them, I will run them both with stock exhaust and with a Jett Muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80418.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1355631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw64744.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1355632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr94025.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1355633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44216.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1355634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cf72258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1355635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75839.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1355636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79250.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1355637  
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
hsukaria

As far as good service and parts, Sig Manufacturing always has been great for me. Now if they can keep an engine brand from going under or fading away, such as Fox, Irvine, Norvel, and Aviatronics....
Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

As far as good service and parts, Sig Manufacturing always has been great for me. Now if they can keep an engine brand from going under or fading away, such as Fox, Irvine, Norvel, and Aviatronics....

It doesn't sound good over at Sig currently, since the LHS stated that they cannot get kits, Wood, or ARF's.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

i wouldnt blame anyone for not having parts when a engine just come on the market, why would they? they should work.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Well, One thing for sure U made the top most active threads.
I think Horizon has taken note.
I feel your pain, I’ve dealt with this in my years in the hobby.
It’s not the first time or the last time that a modeler has waited for parts.
Years ago before the internet, situations like this were never even acknowledged.
I’ve been involved in the industry for some time and this is not new to me.
I can’t wait to see what your motor will turn with 10/6 to 11/6/7 props, stock and modified.
Your project with this motor will save me personally some time in deciding to use this motor in any of my projects.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Iflyglow

I told the guy on the phone I was disgusted, and that I would post it RCU. Do what ever you feel you need to do, since I cannot pull one out of ****** is what the man on the phone said.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Well, One thing for sure U made the top most active threads.
I think Horizon has taken note.
I feel your pain, I’ve dealt with this in my years in the hobby.
It’s not the first time or the last time that a modeler has waited for parts.
Years ago before the internet, situations like this were never even acknowledged.
I’ve been involved in the industry for some time and this is not new to me.
I can’t wait to see what your motor will turn with 10/6 to 11/6/7 props, stock and modified.
Your project with this motor will save me personally some time in deciding to use this motor in any of my projects.

No wonder some people call me motormouth.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Remember, the guy on the phone was just an employee.
I know for a fact that if you were able to get a hold of someone important you wouldn’t have gotten that response, and your problems would have been resolved.
I bet that Horizon’s hire ups are not enjoying this thread.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Remember, the guy on the phone was just an employee.
I know for a fact that if you were able to get a hold of someone important you wouldn’t have gotten that response, and your problems would have been resolved.
I bet that Horizon’s hire ups are not enjoying this thread.

Sure I realize he was just an employee, but I asked him to do what ever he could to some how find one. Maybe the hire ups will realize they should have a few parts unique to the engine in stock when the engine goes on the market.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 AM
hsukaria

I have never purchased spare parts for my engines, but what was the cost of the second engine you had to buy and what is the price listed for the piston/liner that you were trying to purchase? Was the cost difference substantial?

I sometimes think that buying a full engine as a much better deal than buying a spare part, especially for the cheaper brands. Evolution engines are priced in mid-range, so I don't know.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM
jjkirby
My Feedback: (20)

This is why I buy and own nothing O.S. Engines
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
summerwind

i feel for you MOTORMAN..............i remember buying a Tamiya Hot Shot off road buggy when they first came out. let a friend drive it, he hits the wall with it, the A arms cracked, the hobby shop i bought it from said no spare parts for at least 6 months. had to buy a whole new kit just for 2 pieces. the kits were over 200 bucks.

on the flip side, this is what our non support of the local mom&pop hobby shops that are now gone has done to us.
before our last M&P hobby shop closed, if i needed an engine part that Bob didn't have, he'd rob an engine from the showcase for me. the agreement was always that i'd come back and reinstall the part.

i feel your pain right now, but hey guys, give him a break.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: jjkirby

This is why I buy and own nothing O.S. Engines
OS is not the only company that builds excellent engines. From the looks of your profile, you are quite new to the hobby and have not realized that yet.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I told the guy on the phone I was disgusted, and that I would post it RCU.

I bet they are having a good laugh over some of the naive comments in this thread!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.