Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
Horizon needs to improve there support of spare parts
72.92%
Horizon stocks enough replacement parts
27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

A few of you will notice that your posts were either deleted in full, or were edited due to flaming and name calling. If you feel like doing those things, take a deep breath, count to 1000, go run your favorite engine for a while, kick the wife, or whatever before letting your fingers run rampant on your keyboards.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not bent the truth whatsoever in this thread.

I am glad the prices are very cheap if and when you are able to get the parts. This thread was started do to the fact that none of the parts specific to the .60NX are available at this time. I have another NEW .60NX for parts that should be arrving today or tommorow to fall back on encase my experiment does not work. I would never even think twice about attempting to modd an OS or other high priced engine since the price of the sleeve would not warrant the experiment. The price for the .60NX (TRUE ABC Cylinder/Piston is $26.00), while the price of a OS .55AX ABL Cylinder/Piston is $90.00, and you would take the chance of the Nickel dipping peeling.

Evolution .60NX Parts that are Backorderd

BB, Rear (Open Race): 52NX, 60NX
$7.99 [EVO052110]

Back Ordered

Screw Set, Engine: 52NX, 60NX
$2.99 [EVO052901]

Back Ordered
-
Crankcase: 60NX
$14.40 [EVO060101]

Back Ordered

Cylinder Head: 60NX
$4.71 [EVO060103]

Back Ordered

Cylinder Head Shim: 60NX
$0.31 [EVO060112]

Back Ordered

Cylinder Liner and Piston Set (ABC): 60NX
$26.19 [EVO060203]

Back Ordered

Gasket Set (Engine): 60NX
$0.47 [EVO060416]

Back Ordered

Complete Carburetor: 60NX
$31.43 [EVO060801]

Back Ordered

Carburetor Body and Spray Bar: 60NX
$8.38 [EVO060863]

Back Ordered

Muffler-E46601:A
$14.24 [EVO100601]

Back Ordered

Old 01-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never even think twice about attempting to modd an OS or other high priced engine
C'mon, with a name like Motorman37 you don't have faith in your abilities?

Just play'n with you. I look forward to seeing the results of your experiment.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
hsukaria

Same here, I would especially like to see a comparison of the Evo 60NX next to the OS 55-AX. I bought an OS 55-AX last year just to see what all the fuss was about, I could have bought 2 cheapies for that price. Oh well, temporarily loss of sanity.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: blw

A few of you will notice that your posts were either deleted in full, or were edited due to flaming and name calling. If you feel like doing those things, take a deep breath, count to 1000, go run your favorite engine for a while, kick the wife, or whatever before letting your fingers run rampant on your keyboards.

Oh, thank you, finally a PC, sensitive approach to our anger management problem. I am happy for you that you did not say "...kick the dog..." or you would have PETA, ASPCA, and probably the NRA on your sorry butt. I may not know engines like you presume to, but I hope to be more sensitive to real world issues. I am glad my wife does not read this forum, or I would have to exercise controls to prevent that from happening (maybe I should kick her into submission). You, sir, have lost all of your credibilty with me (not that you would even care).
Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
jjkirby
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into a similiar problem with the .61nx motor. I bought it ran it for about 2 months then the carb went out on it. I had to wait 5 months to get a replacement and ended up just buying a O.S. instead. When O.S. has a motor on the market even a new one you can get parts for it. To be honest i dont have much faith in horizon hobby they have been nice to me and tried to work out my issues but There products have went down hill. Example.... hangar 9 p-47 thunderbolt 60 arf v/s topflite's new p-47 thunderbolt arf. No comparison in quality and even though the new mustang is nice teh same quality has been around for years with other manufactures. Nice company but not so good products. Stick with O.S. motors and you will not go wrong. Besides Evolution engines are essentialy made by Saine in china which also makes ASP and Magnum..just my 2 cents
Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
hsukaria

I agree that there might be cheaper engines out there that might be as good as Evolutions, but this particular model, the 60NX is the largest of the ones that fit into a 40-size mount. That is the culmination of a long trend to get the largest displacement in for a class of engine. Just about all the engine brands have their version: OS with the 55-AX, Super Tigre with the G-51, the list goes on. This engine, the EVO 60NX is the biggest so far for the 40-size mounting. And I can see why Motorman is doing this, this is something big and unique. That is also why a lot of us are interested to find out the results of his testing.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Fastsky

For me in the 60 size, the best bang for the buck is the Tower Hobbies 75 at $110.00 which is $40.00 cheaper than the EVO. I bought a 60 sized EVO a few years ago and could never get it to run properly. When it did run the rpms were also rather disappointing. Considering that its not a cheapy engine price wise I was doubly disappointed. Won't buy another. [>:]
Old 01-14-2010, 05:31 PM
blw

Good point about the Tower .75, Fastguy. That is also a great engine for this thread since they were pretty much unobtainium for a long time last year.

There was a few batches of the Evo .61s that shipped out without o rings under the carb, and that caused the millions of headaches you would expect. Otherwise, they are pretty good engines. Far too many people run them with cold plugs and performance suffers a lot.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM
tonyg11780

This is news to me. I have an Evo .40 trainer power system. After almost a year, it threw the rod...broke what is its equivalent to a wrist pin. Destroyed the engine from the inside. I spoke with them on the phone, and they asked me to send it to them. I did, and about a week later they called and said that a new one was on its way to me at no cost.

I believe that this being a new engine, parts supplies havent built up to normal yet. If you look at any new item, you cant get parts for it for the first few months, and sometimes longer. This isnt necessarily specific to evolution. Im not defending them, but I am stating that this is pretty much standard for a new model of anything.

TonyG
Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I agree that there might be cheaper engines out there that might be as good as Evolutions, but this particular model, the 60NX is the largest of the ones that fit into a 40-size mount. That is the culmination of a long trend to get the largest displacement in for a class of engine. Just about all the engine brands have their version: OS with the 55-AX, Super Tigre with the G-51, the list goes on. This engine, the EVO 60NX is the biggest so far for the 40-size mounting. And I can see why Motorman is doing this, this is something big and unique. That is also why a lot of us are interested to find out the results of his testing.
The only reason I decided to run the .60NX's is because of the size.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

For me in the 60 size, the best bang for the buck is the Tower Hobbies 75 at $110.00 which is $40.00 cheaper than the EVO. I bought a 60 sized EVO a few years ago and could never get it to run properly. When it did run the rpms were also rather disappointing. Considering that its not a cheapy engine price wise I was doubly disappointed. Won't buy another. [>:]
My favorite engine in a .61 size block is the Tower .75. I have two flying currently. Infact there is a picture of the two Tower Powered planes in this months AMA magazine. I am the guy in the JR t-shirt kneeling next to a Shoestring and Midget Mustang which are both Tower powered. The picture's were in the article about Dave Scotts flying school which is down the road from my house.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: tonyg11780

This is news to me. I have an Evo .40 trainer power system. After almost a year, it threw the rod...broke what is its equivalent to a wrist pin. Destroyed the engine from the inside. I spoke with them on the phone, and they asked me to send it to them. I did, and about a week later they called and said that a new one was on its way to me at no cost.

I believe that this being a new engine, parts supplies havent built up to normal yet. If you look at any new item, you cant get parts for it for the first few months, and sometimes longer. This isnt necessarily specific to evolution. Im not defending them, but I am stating that this is pretty much standard for a new model of anything.

TonyG

How long have you been in the Hobby? This is not standard in the hobby to have parts following a few months later. This might be Horizons policy, but not the policy of most of the companies.
The only reason I am taking a chance on them is because of there size and displacement.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Iflyglow

Good point about the Tower .75, Fastguy. That is also a great engine for this thread since they were pretty much unobtainium for a long time last year.

There was a few batches of the Evo .61s that shipped out without o rings under the carb, and that caused the millions of headaches you would expect. Otherwise, they are pretty good engines. Far too many people run them with cold plugs and performance suffers a lot.

For the most part, parts were still available. Some were in limited supplies though. I have run over 13 gallons through one of my .75's and it has never needed 1 part.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:55 PM
blw

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Oh, thank you, finally a PC, sensitive approach to our anger management problem.

I had my wife read that message and she thought it was pretty funny.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Motorman37,

Have you gotten any timing numbers on the sleeve and crank?

Are you planning any crank work?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Iflyglow

Well I recieved my new engine today! Now I have a parts engine if it don't work out. Now I have to figure out what parts to keep, and what to get rid of. I know the stock mufflers are going.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Motorman37,

I have never tried to check the timing of a 2 stroke. Show me a link how too, and I will check it. I do not plan on doing anything with the crank. What do ya think of the pic's of the sleeve? Do you think it will grenade at the bottom, since there really is no meat there. I am worried when the piston is @ BDC when approx 1/4" of skirt is sticking out of the sleeve.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Iflyglow

Bang for the buck in this class of engines, would probaly have to go the Magnum .52XLS. It is on sale currently for $69.00 @ Hobby People. That engine will run with a OS .55AX all day long, and not break the bank.
It however is not a .60, and the EVO is.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM
WarbirdII
My Feedback: (21)

Gentlemen
One other consideration that should be put into thought is that along with manufacturing new engines and production numbers trying to be meet we are coming off the holidays. There physical year could have started over in January and must company pass out bonuses. Plant management would be entitled to that bonus. If inventory is down the plant looks more profitable because of less over head. So this could be one of the other factors you are up against..

When speaking about Horizon I myself have found there website to be poorly set up and unorganized, when it come to locating certain items. They site puts you on everything but you are looking for. If there office is run like the website I can understand why somethings are unavailable for months. I purchased a Saito 90 ts from a local hobby store last year payed more money for it but was told by Horizon that they were on back order for several months when I tried to buy it online. The store that I purchased it at called Horizon and had it to me 4 days later.. So don't beat yourself up over the corporate games that are played at your expense..

Good luck hope your engine gets repaired....
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Iflyglow

[quote]ORIGINAL: WarbirdII

Gentlemen
One other consideration that should be put into thought is that along with manufacturing new engines and production numbers trying to be meet we are coming off the holidays. There physical year could have started over in January and must company pass out bonuses. Plant management would be entitled to that bonus. If inventory is down the plant looks more profitable because of less over head. So this could be one of the other factors you are up against..

When speaking about Horizon I myself have found there website to be poorly set up and unorganized, when it come to locating certain items. They site puts you on everything but you are looking for. If there office is run like the website I can understand why somethings are unavailable for months. I purchased a Saito 90 ts from a local hobby store last year payed more money for it but was told by Horizon that they were on back order for several months when I tried to buy it online. The store that I purchased it at called Horizon and had it to me 4 days later.. So don't beat yourself up over the corporate games that are played at your expense..

Good luck hope your engine gets repaired....
[/quote

If you would have read the previous posts, my engine does not have to get repaired. I am experimenting with a NEW Engine on the market, and would like some extra parts to work with. I just bought a spare, so I do not have t o play there games. I can take off what I want, and sell the rest of the parts to other people.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM
scott17

Oh, thank you, finally a PC, sensitive approach to our anger management problem. I am happy for you that you did not say ''...kick the dog...'' or you would have PETA, ASPCA, and probably the NRA on your sorry butt. I may not know engines like you presume to, but I hope to be more sensitive to real world issues. I am glad my wife does not read this forum, or I would have to exercise controls to prevent that from happening (maybe I should kick her into submission). You, sir, have lost all of your credibilty with me (not that you would even care).
Democrat, I presume...?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: scott17

Oh, thank you, finally a PC, sensitive approach to our anger management problem. I am happy for you that you did not say ''...kick the dog...'' or you would have PETA, ASPCA, and probably the NRA on your sorry butt. I may not know engines like you presume to, but I hope to be more sensitive to real world issues. I am glad my wife does not read this forum, or I would have to exercise controls to prevent that from happening (maybe I should kick her into submission). You, sir, have lost all of your credibilty with me (not that you would even care).
Democrat, I presume...?

I am proud to be a Democrat.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Iflyglow

Here is the New parts engine incase my other Cylinder grendes from my modifications.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86515.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1356333  
Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Motorman37,

I have never tried to check the timing of a 2 stroke. Show me a link how too, and I will check it. I do not plan on doing anything with the crank. What do ya think of the pic's of the sleeve? Do you think it will grenade at the bottom, since there really is no meat there. I am worried when the piston is @ BDC when approx 1/4'' of skirt is sticking out of the sleeve.

The only one in focus was the last one with the engine assembled and muffler attached.

sorry i'll shut up now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.