Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
Horizon needs to improve there support of spare parts
72.92%
Horizon stocks enough replacement parts
27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

I went to order a new piston and sleeve for my New Evolution .60NX (Since I played with the stock one), and found out that they are backordered untill April. I had a conversation with Horizon over the phone concerning the fact they are marketing an engine with next to no spares available. They do not have the case, head, bearings, or Piston and sleeve, gasket's, Carb, Head shims or pretty much anything available at the moment. I have to say that this is the worst parts availability I have come across in RC. I ended up ordering another .60NX to have spare parts if I need them. I even went as far as asking if they would sell me a sleeve assy from another engine. The lame excuse that I was on the phone was that it is a New product and parts are not useally available for them untill the factory catches up.[X(]
Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Evolution Engines and the lack of parts support by Horizon!

They are the same way on the Saito 82B. They have the engines but none of the unique barts of the 82B
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Iflyglow

It sounds like they need some new management in the product support area.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37
The lame excuse that I was on the phone was that it is a New product and parts are not useally available for them untill the factory catches up.[X(]
Q: Do you have any parts for the .60NX?

A: No, of course we have no parts yet, it's a new product!

Q: What did you make the engines from?

A: Click... bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MJD

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: MJD

The lame excuse that I was on the phone was that it is a New product and parts are not useally available for them untill the factory catches up.[X(]
Q: Do you have any parts for the .60NX?

A: No, of course we have no parts yet, it's a new product!

Q: What did you make the engines from?

A: Click... bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MJD

Thats about it. I even asked if they could give me a deal on another since I would like it for parts and they have none available, and they said no to that too.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Iflyglow

This is leaving me with a leary feeling about the Evolution choice. Atleast the Magnum .52 XLS can be had for $69.00 and has parts support, and a awesome customer service department to back that up.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
spaceworm

They are not that grteat an engine. They are essentially a throw away. I would question why anyone would want another one, if you expect to be able to get spares, with the inadequate support Horizon is giving the product. But then again, you will likely have the same problem with almost any other engine/importer. Good luck with yours.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

They are not that grteat an engine. They are essentially a throw away. I would question why anyone would want another one, if you expect to be able to get spares, with the inadequate support Horizon is giving the product. But then again, you will likely have the same problem with almost any other engine/importer. Good luck with yours.

At least you can get parts for Magnum, OS, YS, Tower, GMS, and so many of the others.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read that the OS AX.55 works well in the Sundowner with the Jett exhaust. Tower has all the parts for this engine in stock.

Give Horizon some time, they'll catch up.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

I've read that the OS AX.55 works well in the Sundowner with the Jett exhaust. Tower has all the parts for this engine in stock.

Give Horizon some time, they'll catch up.
I do not like OS parts prices for there Nickel Dipped Cylinders.[X(] The EVO Cylinder is $26, but not in till April.

I have a Jett muffler for it. I just want to run it stock to give you guys some "Stock numbers" before I install the cleaned up Cylinder. I also went a little further after taking the picture with the dremel, and am concerned that the Sleeve might crack and grenade since it is quite thin do to being a .60 in a .46 case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43700.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1355051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55392.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1355052  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
82blackbird
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorman, why don't you run it? You have a spare engine and what you have is a parts engine right now anyway. It might last a long time, and you can compare the performance to the stock engine!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Motorman, by the time you thaw out there in the frozen land of cheese, it will be May before you can run your engine anyway and by then Horizon will probably have tons of spare parts.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 AM
NikolayTT

It seems Horizon is not doing that bad job. Few people need major spare parts in general for new engines
and rebuilding an engine does not seems to catch up already many years; better buy 2-3 engines at the
same time ... and stay with the selected engine-type for several years; there aren't that 'big' novelties
and 'great' success stories as advertised by manufacturers and shopkeepers. AND learning how to use
certain engine takes lot of experiements in time .... and doing that again and again every few
months for the next "super-great-novel-engine" turns the RC into engine-(kind-of)testing "business"
isn't it. I wander if someone who is not full-time RC person would need spare parts just in couple
months time since the new engine is introduced. Always almost the spare parts are toooooooo
expensive business for anyone, shopkeepers and ... customers tooo.
Cheers,
Nick
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: 82blackbird

Motorman, why don't you run it? You have a spare engine and what you have is a parts engine right now anyway. It might last a long time, and you can compare the performance to the stock engine!

I will run both of them. It is supposed to be in the 30's all next week.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
blw

You are going to have to work hard to back up that statement about them being throwaway.

I would question a full stock of spare parts with the intro of a new engine. The spare parts would mean they delayed putting out the original engine just to ramp up spares. Like someone else said, why expect spares for a brand new engine when Horizon is probably still trying to stock up the hobby shops/vendors?

I would have had the new liner on hand before doing grinding work on one.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Iflyglow

I can see not having all the parts, but they have not one part in stock that is unique to the .60NX. They do not even have the rear bearing in stock, which in turn is the same size a normall .46-.52 (15 x 28 x 7 for the rear). At least other manufacturers have some of the parts in stock when they put the engine on the market. To not have a crankcase, head, head shims, muffler, Piston and liner, engine bolts, gasket set and carburater in stock. Just hope you do not have a warranty claim because you will be waiting for a long time.[X(] Like I said earlier, I ordered another engine to have for spares if needed since my friend also has one. Show me another engine that is new to the market that has no parts support to follow from the beginning. At least Great planes has limited parts on hand when a new engine is released.

Horizon has next to nothing available for this NEW ENGINE.[X(]
Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
blw

You and I both know that it will take too long to investigate spare parts for every new engine being offered. I'll wager that some do and some don't. When I find one that is newly introduced the next time, I'll call about spare parts that day and let you know. You know this about all engines from Great Planes???

Like I pointed out earlier, I would have called about a spare liner before grinding on it since this is a totally high risk and experimental procedure. I would never think of expecting the manufacturer to share any blame for any kind of work like this.

Horizon *may* just have all those spare parts on hand right now. Did you ask?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: blw

You and I both know that it will take too long to investigate spare parts for every new engine being offered. I'll wager that some do and some don't. When I find one that is newly introduced the next time, I'll call about spare parts that day and let you know. You know this about all engines from Great Planes???

Like I pointed out earlier, I would have called about a spare liner before grinding on it since this is a totally high risk and experimental procedure. I would never think of expecting the manufacturer to share any blame for any kind of work like this.

Horizon *may* just have all those spare parts on hand right now. Did you ask?
Where in my posts would you ever get an idea or hint that I wanted them to share blame?

I experimented with the Cylinder, and take full responsibility if it fails. I just wanted to purchase a back up part for it. I will state it again, I modded it and wanted to buy the parts.

The reference to Warranty work is for Customers who actually have a LEGIT WARRANTY CLAIM. Unless they shipped them a new engine, they have no parts to repair it.

I never expected Horizon to do anything but offer replacement parts at the advertised price. I have both checked online, and talked with Customer support. I told them I was doing some experimenting with it, and was told that the Cylinder/Piston is back ordered untill late April.
My new complete .60NX will be here tomorrow, so if my other Cylinder Fails I will have spare parts. I can allways part out the New engine on EB** or here on RCU after I take what I want off it.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it common with a new product that spare/replacement parts are not available imediately. Converse to your experience I ordered a piston and sleeve for my Evolution 1.00NX and got it as fast as it could ship. But, it's not a brand new to the market engine. I think your assesment of Horizon's customer service as a whole is a bit unfair. I have had nothing but prompt parts delivery on the 4-5 items I have ordered for the purpose of repair/replacement from Horizon. So, if the factory is using all the parts to build complete engines to sell right now and not offering parts individually, that makes sense to me. However, if you had a warranty repair, I bet it would be taken care of quickly for you
Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the deal with the new Evolution 60NX. They claim that it fits in a 40 size plane/mount. Has anybody tried it yet? Is it very heavy? How about vibration? Does it have same power output as regular 60's?

(changing the subject slightly)
Old 01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

So what is the deal with the new Evolution 60NX. They claim that it fits in a 40 size plane/mount. Has anybody tried it yet? Is it very heavy? How about vibration? Does it have same power output as regular 60's?

(changing the subject slightly)

Yes indeed it is the same size phys and allmost the same weight. The weight with muffler is approx 18 oz's. As far as vibration goes, It is to cold for me to test them yet.[X(]

Specs
Type: 2-Stroke Glow
Displacement: .60 cu in (9.73cc)
Bore: .95 in (24mm)
Stroke: .85 in (21.5mm)
Cylinders: Single
Total Weight: 17.13 oz (487g)
Engine (Only) Weight: 13.93 oz (395g)
Muffler Weight: 3.2 oz (92g)
Crankshaft Threads: 1/4 x 28
Prop Range: 10 x 7 to 13 x 6
RPM Range: 2000 to 17000
Fuel: 10 % to 30% Nitro
Mounting Dimensions: 44mm x 17.5mm
Muffler Type: Cast
Cylinder Type: ABC
Carb Type: Barrel, with two needles
Crank Type: Ball Bearing
Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

At least you can get parts for Magnum, OS, YS, Tower, GMS, and so many of the others.

Not when the engines are brand new on the market. Horizon's behavior is typical of others when engines are first introduced. Besides, it isn't Horizon that's the bad guy. It is the manufacturer. Horizon only makes bills for people to pay. They don't make a single solitary piece of an engine, any engine.

The manufacturer, Sanye, makes more money by selling all of their parts in the form of complete engines. No, you wouldn't think so for what those parts cost the customer, but Sanye has to make available so many engines in order to fulfill their original contract to various distributors. Fall seriously short on that and they could suffer some very stiff penalties. "Could". Selling spare parts will come later on for Sanye. I've been stuck a few times having new model engines that I couldn't fly because of a lack of parts. It sucks. But you pay for being the first to own something, and that is one of the ways in which you pay - sometimes.

A friend of mine bought an American made car back in the seventies. A part broke and his brand new car sat for nearly six months, awaiting a critical part.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Iflyglow

It is not the Engine makers fault. HORIZON PUTS THERE NAME ON IT, AND THATS WHO THE END CUSTOMER DEALS WITH.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Lennie Clark

Who would be stupid enough to buy an evolution engine.They don't run in the cold weather.I sent it back to the factory they sent us all brand new engines and they don't run either.
The only solution we had was to put our O.S. engines back on with no problems inb the cold weather......
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: Lennie Clark

Who would be stupid enough to buy an evolution engine.They don't run in the cold weather.I sent it back to the factory they sent us all brand new engines and they don't run either.
The only solution we had was to put our O.S. engines back on with no problems inb the cold weather......
You are calling me stupid. You appear to be inexperienced with model engines, or in your words STUPID for not being able to operate a simple glow engine. After looking at your experience level and recent posts I stand by my opinion of you.
Maybe you should stick with electrics since they are easier to tune.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.