Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Stackable Multi-Cylinder Glow Driver

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Stackable Multi-Cylinder Glow Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
01sporty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stackable Multi-Cylinder Glow Driver

I modified an existing glow driver circuit to accommodate multiple cylinders. Lots of details available to anyone that might be interested.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39953.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1355357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32098.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1355358  
Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Patxipt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stackable Multi-Cylinder Glow Driver

Count me in!

That looks terribly sweet![8D]
Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MeTo

Don
Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
01sporty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, here's the original circuit: [link]http://www.sentex.net/~mec1995/gadgets/glow.htm[/link]

This guy modified it replace Q1 and Q2 with a single mosfet. [link]http://www.webx.dk/rc/glow/glow.htm[/link] He also added a voltage regulator to keep the glow from dimming from the starter drain and/or a low battery condition.

For multi-cylinder use, I decided amp meters would just get in the way so I eliminated it. The author in the second link thought the power resistor (RM) was important so I kept it but moved it to the minus rail which left the positive rail completely bare to become the common.

I also added an indicator LED in series with RM for a visual on any burned out plugs or bad connections. This changed the value of Rm from .2 to .6 ohm. The plug completes the circuit so if the LED isn't lit, something is amiss.

I also knew that I would always be using the same type glow plug so I only used the 100k pot long enough to determine the needed value, then replaced it with a 1/8 watt, fixed value resister. For my plug that value came out to 10k. Use a lower value to produce a hotter glow and a higher value for colder. If all the same components were used, you could probably just swap fixed value resisters until you get the glow you like on your particular plug.

I cut the board on a little cnc I built but the layout should lend itself equally well to etching. PDF1 is the toolpath and hole layout. I use a V cutter set to give a .015 width. PDF2 shows the component layout. This is available as a cad file to anyone that would like to send me an email addy.

This is the first time I'd worked with surface mount components. After a little practice, I really like them. I do think I would have went with a larger size IC1 if I had it to do over. It was pretty challenging. Fortunately, they are really cheap. You might want to get a couple of extra.

This link should take you to the Mouser Project list. [link]http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=87d937f999[/link] It should be correct. The C6 caps that I got were supposed to be long lead and came in with short lead so I had to add to the leads. I changed the part number to another cap but never ordered one so that's a bit of a wild card. The list does not contain the 1/8 watt resisters R220 and R10K.

I'll try to get a couple of closeups of the construction later.

Cheers,
Walt

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10251.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1355492  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wt59372.pdf (11.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: pdf
Yt62256.pdf (15.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-10-2014, 03:47 PM
volarealsur

Hello
Does anyone have the CAD files of the PCB board?
I really appreciate, just to save some work, I plan to use my CnC router machine to make the boards.
Thanks
Jorge
Old 12-12-2014, 01:00 PM
coriolan

Its a very simple layout,should not too hard to develop your own file. Here is the actual schematic:
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/glow.htm