Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS fs-120III w/pump vs Saito fa-125a

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS fs-120III w/pump vs Saito fa-125a

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS fs-120III w/pump vs Saito fa-125a

I have a funtana x100 and want to put a four stroke on her and don't know which engine would be best for my flying needs. I do alot of nose up flying, hovering and slow drop the tail knife edges. I have had several different 2 stroke glow engines on this plane but my slow low end torque type flying style has caused many a 2 stroke to over heat and give up in a short period of time. I have been considering two different 4 stroke engines, an OS fs-120III with pump $360 with discount from tower and 2 year warranty. A saito 125a with a 3 year warranty and no pump for $389. I like the pump on the OS for drawing fuel in a hover, but was told these earlier os engines with pumps were troublesome but they have worked the bugs out. I like the reputation of the saito and the one year longer warranty period, but will I have fuel draw problems when the nose is up for a long period of time? I sure would like some advice from someone that knows four strokes because I have never owned one.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: OS fs-120III w/pump vs Saito fa-125a

I have never owned that OS. Of the two though the Saito is smaller and lighter. It would be my choice hands down on a 3D plane. I run a MA Scimitar 16x6 on mine and love it.

david
Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Ken6PPC

This is just my humble opinion, but no matter which brand of engine you decide on, I had rather have a Cline regulator than a built-in pump that you won't be able to get parts for shortly after it goes out of production.

Now, I admit to having a soft spot for Saitos, and I would pick the 1.25 Saito + a Cline. However, even if you prefer the OS 1.20, I would STILL think twice about an OS pump. Do a search for OS Pumps, and you'll see what I mean. Additionally, you will have to send your engine back to OS if you need pump service - they won't sell pump parts - even for the current model!

There is another option you haven't mentioned. A YS 1.10 might be what you are looking for. They are real powerhouses, and you won't need a pump or a regulator. However, I haven't owned one myself, so I can't personally vouch for their longevity. At least you CAN buy parts for a YS if you need them!

Here's a link for the Cline system. I am very pleased with my Clines.

http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/produc...elsysdescx.htm
Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have three of the Saito 125's and two FG-20's. I think they are great.

I run APC 16 X 6 and APC 17 X 4W props on them. There certainly doesn't seem to be any problem at low a slow speeds or higher throttle in the verical mode.

I also have a ASP 120 four stroke which is a clone of the OS 120 and though it has almost the same power, it is half again as large externally as the Saito 125's.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look a few years down the road when the engine may need some repairs, you have to consider that O.S only sells Carbs and Pumps, not parts for them, if they sell them at all. I've got an O.S 120 S II that has a bad diaphram in the carb. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I've got a couple Saito 150's that parts are still avaible for. My only complaint about the Saito's is that I have a hard time shutting them down at the end of a flight. I guess that is prefered to having them dead stick though isn't it?

The question though is do you need the pump? If you are flying pattern and need the balance of the plane not to change between take off and landing, then a pump and tank mounted at the CG is a good choice. If you are a fun flyer and that isn't a requirement, the a non-pump engine is what Iwould chose. Mount the tank forward and live with the slight change of CGduring the flight. Less expensive to buy and less expensive to maintain.

Don
Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Flyer95
My Feedback: (1)

I have had both engines and on a 3D i would go for the Saito 125 because it is much lighter than the OS120FS which is an old design. I had my Saito 125 on UCD 3D 60 from Great Planes and did many slow nose up manouvres and hovering at 1/3-1/2 throttle and it never lean out. A very reliable engine just like all other large Saitos i have!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

The OS is a big, heavy, and not to powerful engine. I would suggest a YS 110, but they are hard to come by right now and the 115 replacement is not available yet.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kurt get a Saito 125, more user friendly