Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 40 carb question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 40 carb question

I have an older OS40 FP which has the idle adjust right on the carb. The 40 LA has the idle adjust mounted on a bracket on the back side of the engine thus giving a safer distance from the prop (good idea as Ive had a few scrapes while adjusting the FP if not being extra aware while doing so.)

After a long hiatus from the hobby, I am building up a new trainer plane which has a cutout on the fuse for the LA type of idle adjust. So I would like to know if it would be possible to put an LAcarb on the FP engine? I just hate to add another "notch" to the fuse so the screw clears...guess its my OCD kicking in. LOL

It might be better (cost wise)to just buy a new LA 40 with the idle adjust already done...but I thought I had read that the FPmade a bit more power?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: OS 40 carb question

First off, that's the high-end needle valve, not the idle adjustment.

Not sure if you can put a remote needle valve on a 40LA, but grit your teeth, put aside the OCD, and cut a new notch. If you're like most people, that notch will be the least noticable scar after a few flights

If you want to replace the engine altogether, Step up to a 46AX. Later, when you're flying nicer planes, you'll really appreciate the extra power.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 40 carb question

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

First off, that's the high-end needle valve, not the idle adjustment.

Not sure if you can put a remote needle valve on a 40LA, but grit your teeth, put aside the OCD, and cut a new notch. If you're like most people, that notch will be the least noticable scar after a few flights

If you want to replace the engine altogether, Step up to a 46AX. Later, when you're flying nicer planes, you'll really appreciate the extra power.
You are right...sorry for the mis-wording.

But anyway, my thought was that the LA came standard with the remote needle valve (what I was calling idle adjust). I have anFP though and it does in fact have it directly on the carb.

The last couple of planes I had this engine on it wasnt a problem, and still may not be a problem with this new plane Im building (you know the one as I posted a link to it which you commented on in the other thread) because I have yet to mount it to the firewall. But there is a cutout for the rear located valve on the fuse soI am just assuming that it will need to be notched.

I do plan on buying a new engine for the Mentor I have and will certainly look at the 46 or possibly even a bit larger one than that. Its just I want to keep this trainer I am building complete soI can fly it whenever I want. Dont intent to take the engine out and put into a nicer plane at a later date.

I agree though...having another notch will probably be the least of my cosmetic concerns after a few landings with my "rusty thumbs". I did however buy a HZ Firebird Phantom last weekend to get some of the rust knocked off before I put the nitro trainer in the air, which hopefully will keep it looking nice for a longer time. I'll just have to get my OCD in check and notch that baby if need be.

Thanks for the input...you are always quick to reply, and I appreciate that.