Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Apathy for .25's?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Apathy for .25's?

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

Does anyone have experience with the Thunder Tiger GP-28? The GP-28 has been available for several years but I have not heard much said about it.

That is a decent engine but the combat guys have tested it. it ran great but not the umph that the combat guy are looking for, the TT25 pro however was almost equal to the OS 25FX
Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought two new Magnum .15 two-strokes at the special $39.99 each price. Considering the price of other .15 engines, this is a terrific price. If the engine won't stop with throttle closure, I'll just throw a rag into the prop. It used to work back when flying control line, and that was at the equivalent of R/C's WOT.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hobby People use to sell Magnum .25 .28 .32 .36 .40 2 strokes, but check them now nothing from .15 to .46
Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Mr Cox

That's by their own making though, the engines are still being made.

If you look at [link=http://www.justengines.unseen.org/acatalog/ASP.html]justengines[/link] they are selling the whole line, including combat versions with a larger bore carb.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

HobbyKing will gladly sell you the Sanye (MAGNUM, ASP, SC) of your choice, drop shipped from Hong Kong, at an amazing price. Their internet ordering service is very good.

These smaller two stroke glow engines are still readily available.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

That's by their own making though, the engines are still being made.
That's missing the point, though. What the man was getting at is that a large distributor in the world's largest RC market doesn't have enough demand for small glow engines to stock anything between a .15 and .46, even though the engines are readily available for import. It's an example of market forces at work.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM
draftman1

magnum is redesigning there 25 size, it should be out in the next month of two. the 28xl tooling was done with. the new 25xls will replace it. its being tested right now
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really? Is Hobby People bigger than Hobby King? Could be; I don't have any way of telling. But HK seems like a pretty big global marketer. I just bought an ASP .21 from them...weighs 8 oz including the muffler and supposed to be very potent on a 9x4. I'll see what it does. I love my small IC engines, but I'm sure I'm in a minority.

But also, the statement about Hobby People was not entirely true...you can buy a Magnum .30 FS from them.

Not dead yet.

Jim
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: draftman1

magnum is redesigning there 25 size, it should be out in the next month of two. the 28xl tooling was done with. the new 25xls will replace it. its being tested right now
Good!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

Maybe it's just me, but electrics (and yes, I have a couple) have no soul, no personality. They do work, and well, but something's just missing.

Sorry Fizz....definetely NOT just you. Glows' "personality" must be coaxed to avoid flameouts on take off, dead sticks, etc. I take satisfaction in good tuning practices that have yielded a couple years without a deadstick (with the exception of running outta fuel)

I have apathy for .25s. Used to have a couple OS FSR .25s...they were cool at the time...but my range is .46 to 1.20 and I'm sticking with that. Too little for gasoline..no room for electrics anyway
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Tommygun

The guys who want the sub-.46 engines just for the sake of being able to say "I have an internal combustion engine in my plane and it has soul" and to tinker are an increasingly small minority. If we go to the field and you're there with some 074 powered rig and I pull up with something the same size that has a brushless outrunner, the conversation might be like:

Me: "What are you doing?

You: "Oh, just trying to get this needle set, I think I might have an air leak since it dies in the climb. Broke a prop once today because of the second dead stick. I'm going to stop by (the LHS) in a bit for some more fuel and see if he has any of those small APCs left. What are you doing today?"

Me: "Flying."

I used to dislike electrics too, and swore I'd never go that route. Loved the smell of burnt castor, and the sound of a piped 60. Not sure what happened, but I just don't even feel like hassling with glow engines anymore since getting into modern electric power, I'd like to completely eliminate them, and maybe some day get back into the larger stuff but with gas. I've been selling all my smaller glow engines on that four-letter word place that starts with an E, and was surprised to see many of the buyers are from overseas. Got rid of all those .15s and .25, and .049s that I got back 20 something years ago when starting the hobby, totally useless to me now. I do like flying seaplanes, and was taking a glow powered Seamaster out on my 1:1 boat to fly off the river. Crashed it and replaced it with a smaller electric. Wow, how much more fun, it's so convenient. No way I can go back to dragging all that glow stuff around and hoping the fuel/oil doesn't spill on my carpet or seats, it just sucks.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
ArcticCatRider

Internal combustion engines are a hobby within themselves. The amount of variables and the challenge and satisfaction with operating an unmaned aircraft with an internal combustion engine I think is cool...

It's still just a hobby for me. I'm not getting paid to get the most flights in per day...I'm not going from A to B. I don't spend any time at the flying field tinkering with glows...although at home I do, which is what I like doing anyway.

Anyway..if the guy next to me wants to tinker with his .074 all day..it's no skin off my back.

EDIT: I cranked "Fly By Night" on the way to work this morning....cool avy!!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the glow engine camp. To me glow engines are an essential part of the hobby. I don't know exactly why, but electrics just don't excite me. And after years of maintaining my lawn mowers, chain saws, blowers, generators, weed wackers, and so on, I have grown to really despise small gasoline engines and the odor of gasoline.

As ArticCatRider said, it is a hobby. It's all about what you enjoy.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Tommygun,
I have very little trouble with my glow engines at the field, if there are problems they are shaken out on the bench at home. While you are charging your electric, I can make 2 to 4 flights in depending on how long it takes you to fly and how large my tank is. That and the cost is why I don't care for electrics.

BTW. I have had about the same amount of trouble with electrics. Well actually perhaps less often, but when I did it always resulted in a burned out motor, battery, or charger. The time when I burned out both the battery and charger was when I gave up on electrics.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most glow engines .09 and up are excellent, reliable power plants and I love running them, and people with Norvel .074s love them too.

Anyone whose season is messed up by a lack of props or fuel isn't prepared, and preparation is necessary for most things worth doing, including flying electric airplanes.

I assume the guys who fly electrics are like me...they enjoy what they are doing for a hobby and don't need anyone to try to tell them why they'd have more fun with something else. I don't have any beef with them.

Jim
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
jeffie8696

Not to fuel the debate but to me running a glow engine is like smoking a fine cigar, electrics are like slapping on a nicotine patch.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:04 PM
maxtenet

Or driving a Prius instead of a Dodge Charger

Max
Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
wyo69cowboy

LOL at the last 2^^^^posts!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
jeffie8696

Iwont doubt the power of electrics just the flavor.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

Maybe it's just me, but electrics (and yes, I have a couple) have no soul, no personality. They do work, and well, but something's just missing.

Yup...!!! Would a Monster Truck Rally draw any crowds at all if they had were electric motors, HELL NO...!!! We want to hear the roar, smell the fumes, belch beer, etc...

Would anybody go to a full scale airshow to see electric powered airplanes? HELL NO...!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
asmund

I also enjoy glow the most, but lately I`m into fast electrics too. My fastest rc-plane right now is my MPX FunJet with 1600 watts of brushless power, 245 kmh and thrust me it really does make some sound too at crazy high rpm on the APC 7-6[8D] I get a little scared and shaky in my legs everytime I fly it[sm=lol.gif] because it is quite small it seems even faster.

Well, I have decided that I need both glow and electrics to feel good Gasoline not so much, even though I own a really fine MVVS 26 gasser with pipe too
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
jeffie8696

One must achiev their own inner balance. It will not be the same for everyone but it will be correct for them.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
bigedmustafa

If you want a .25-size glow engine, you can choose from the K&B .28 Sportster, Thunder Tiger GP-28, O.S. Max .25 LA, or O.S. Max .25 AX if you needed to order one today.

The GMS .25 and the Enya .25 models aren't out of production, they're simply sold out at the present time. Rossi has a new R26CR 4.35cc 2-stroke under development. Webra still offers the Speed .25, although you'd probably have to special order one through Swany's House or Paul's Model Supply to get one here in the U.S.

The O.S. Max .25 AX is a brand new engine that replaces the .25 FX. O.S. Max must think there is still a market for a premium .25 2-stroke. It's priced in between the .46 AX and the .55 AX, two of O.S. Max's best selling 2-strokes, so it isn't unreasonably priced at $149.99 either.

I would guess that .25-size engines and airframes have fallen out of favor simply because .40 ~ .60 engines and airframes are commonly available for the same cost. $79.99 will buy you either an O.S. Max .25 LA or a Magnum XLS .61A right now. If you want to build a trainer kit on which to put your new engine, you can buy a Kadet LT-25 kit for $99.99 or spend $10 less and get the Kadet Senior kit for $89.99.

The market appears to be ruled by the perception of value. Consumers generally don't want to spend more for smaller models or engines.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
ArcticCatRider

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

Yup...!!! Would a Monster Truck Rally draw any crowds at all if they had were electric motors, HELL NO...!!! We want to hear the roar, smell the fumes, belch beer, etc...

Would anybody go to a full scale airshow to see electric powered airplanes? HELL NO...!!!

Hahaha....someone asked me once if I would ride an electric snowmobile when gas costs became too prohibitive. I said no. No electric snowmobile.

I'll hang my snowmobile from my living room ceiling
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: rcjetflyer0718-RCU

Hobby People use to sell Magnum .25 .28 .32 .36 .40 2 strokes, but check them now nothing from .15 to .46

Well, if you want a Sanye engine in the in between sizes, you can buy them with the ASP name on them from HobbyKing at really great prices. I know they have been selling .21 sized two-strokes for $39.99 or so for the last while. I'd rather have a Magnum myself, for warranty reasons, but they ARE the same engines.

Ed Cregger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.