Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Rossi Engines OUT OF PRODUCTION

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:51 AM
DrAlexander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant Novarossi...my age is showing...
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DrAlexander
Other than having spoke to Allen about his comment, and his remembering shipping something like 1/2 dozen engines to the guy no. It seems like a slanderous comment in spirit of the thread to me, which is why I asked about it specifically. Rossi doesn't just quit making engines. If an engine is out of production, they usually make an engine to replace it or as an upgrade for that class of engine. Just to say that Novarossi is out of engines is a ridiculous comment. That's what they do is make engines! I"m always looking for older engines like Fox and Rossi even though newer engines are made, I understand someone that likes electric may seek the demise of nitro, jumping on the bandwagon of nitro engines not being made anymore doesn't change the fact that nitro is still widely used in certain sects of the hobby.
True enough though, I shouldn't have raised a 4 year old thread. My apologies for that.
In retrospect, the topic of this 4 1/2 year old thread deals with 'Rossi' engines, not 'Novarossi' or 'Axe Rossi' engines. There is a difference there. These engines are 'glow' engines, not 'nitro' engines by the way.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
That's not all he should be ashamed of...

https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/of...personId=80788
That's terrible.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
In retrospect, the topic of this 4 1/2 year old thread deals with 'Rossi' engines, not 'Novarossi' or 'Axe Rossi' engines. There is a difference there. These engines are 'glow' engines, not 'nitro' engines by the way.
Umm, same thing.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Okay, great!

Old 09-07-2014, 04:49 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I have not run nitro in a glow engine over .049 c.i. capacity in 20 years.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drac1
Umm, same thing.
How can a Rossi be a nitro engine when they don't use any nitro?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 PM
aspeed

I have used 80% nitro in a Rossi .15, as well as the TD .049. (yes, over 20 years ago) We always called them nitro motors until lately. Seems odd to me that people care. Now the rules have changed to 10% nitro for racing and speed. I think it is a good idea. The FAI straight methanol fuel is a bit finicky, but I have used it before in FAI speed. I guess nitro would be the wrong term for that. Really 40 years ago it was common to call Nitro/Glow as Gas. Even advertisers in magazines would refer to it as gas. I suppose if you want to be anal it could be Semi Diesel premixed methanol based internal combustion reciprocating Engine. I still call them nitro motors and most people know what I am talking about. I have been making a bunch of Turbo plug heads for a few of my motors. Maybe I can call them Turbo - Nitro - Tuned Pipe - Engines. And be accurate. Oh and to keep things on topic, I met Allen at the Perry Georgia swap meet. He didn't return my email later. There were Novarossi motors available two Marches ago at the swap meet. They were 1/2 the price of what they once were. I want one. A .28 rear exhaust please if someone would like to send me one.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Sport_Pilot

Semi Diesel
Glow motors are Otto cycle not Diesel or even semi Diesel. The fuel combustion begins BTC and is burned shortly after TC. Diesel engines add fuel during the power cycle and stop shortly after top dead center. Model "Diesel" engines are also Otto cycle and should actually be called compression ignition engines.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 PM
aspeed

Semi Otto compression ignition engines? Nitro motor is good for me. I have got in trouble here for spelling Diesel wrong too. It is after midnight, and it says 9:00 on this thread. We are in the same time zone?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by aspeed
Semi Otto compression ignition engines? Nitro motor is good for me. I have got in trouble here for spelling Diesel wrong too. It is after midnight, and it says 9:00 on this thread. We are in the same time zone?
Not simi Otto, otto. As far as I know there is no such thing as a semi Otto cycle. A Diesel engine has near constant pressure during the first part of the combustion and an Otto cycle has near constant volume (mostly because it happens instantaneously). This has nothing to do with the ignition or fuel source.

As far as I am concerned it is not a nitro engine unless it burns 90% or more nitro.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaming Dragster Engine.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2030105  

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 09-07-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RC car people call all of the glow erngines "nitro engines" or even "gas engines" still. The RC car companies still advertise the RC cars and engines as nitro car or nitro engines too. So one needs to just shrug it off and continue on. It is part of the vocabulary now.

It is similar to the people calling engines motors and motors engines.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 AM
CafeenMan

I bought four NovaRossi's last year but haven't run any of them. They all look excellent to me and I'm really looking forward to getting them into planes.

I have 3 RE .15's that are all supposed to go on one plane. The idea is a Dave Platt Duelist but 3-engines.

The 4th engine is a side-exhaust .12 that I don't remember if I had a plan for it or not but I have a gazillion different things it could go in.

I bought muffled pipes for the .15's but they weigh a ton and I'm sorry I bought them. The pipe I bought for my OS .15 CV-A is a lot lighter and if it works with the NR's then I'll get more of them.

Hopefully I won't be needing parts because I didn't buy any.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Novarossi makes a mighty fine engine. The fit and finish is what one would expect from a high end manufacturer. I have a Ron Paris modified .21 for off-road buggies. I haven't ran it (it's new still) but I'm sure it revs like the dickens. My engine is about 15 years old though.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:36 PM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Novarossi makes a mighty fine engine. The fit and finish is what one would expect from a high end manufacturer. I have a Ron Paris modified .21 for off-road buggies. I haven't ran it (it's new still) but I'm sure it revs like the dickens. My engine is about 15 years old though.
15 years old is a baby in glow engine years. Glow technology has been in the stages of diminishing returns for a very long time now so it's not like a golden age happened after you bought that engine.

As far as my plan goes, I'm not putting my three .15s in an actual Duellist. I'm going to design my own thing specifically for those engines and it's going to be Duellist-like. Just wanted to get the idea across.

I just have no idea what I'm going to do with those pipes since more of the pipe will be off the back of the wing than over it.

Maybe I can get the engines close enough to the plane and rotate the engines so they attach to the sides of the fuse. That might look pretty cool. Pipe on top and two down the sides.

Regarding your buggy engine. I'm sure it's not necessary, but has anyone ever tried water cooling? And I've never understood why car engines use less oil? I'd think they'd need more than planes instead of less since they don't have a lot of air-cooling going on. I seriously don't get why that works at all.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
15 years old is a baby in glow engine years. Glow technology has been in the stages of diminishing returns for a very long time now so it's not like a golden age happened after you bought that engine.

As far as my plan goes, I'm not putting my three .15s in an actual Duellist. I'm going to design my own thing specifically for those engines and it's going to be Duellist-like. Just wanted to get the idea across.

I just have no idea what I'm going to do with those pipes since more of the pipe will be off the back of the wing than over it.

Maybe I can get the engines close enough to the plane and rotate the engines so they attach to the sides of the fuse. That might look pretty cool. Pipe on top and two down the sides.

Regarding your buggy engine. I'm sure it's not necessary, but has anyone ever tried water cooling? And I've never understood why car engines use less oil? I'd think they'd need more than planes instead of less since they don't have a lot of air-cooling going on. I seriously don't get why that works at all.
No golden age has occurred, no doubt. But the guy that sold the engine was a legend in the rc car racing circle. The pylon racing guru of the car world if you will. When new, it cost double what the regular/non-modified version cost. I bought it to flip it, but I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it. If I could get a prop on it, I'd run it that way full time.

Big heat sink heads and lots of nitro keep them cool. 25-30% nitro and 8% oil works great, but the reason it works is due to the oil volume due to the wider tuning window and richer mixture. You'll get far more oil through an engine with 30% nitro than you will on 5-15%. Also, a car engine will only see WOT for a few seconds at a time. Run a car engine on 8% oil at WOT for 5 minutes? It'll explode. Or implode, not sure.

8% oil is too little I think, I feel better running my cars on 10-12% but they don't run top rpm then and they have less snappy throttle response. The racers run $400-800 engines on 6-8% oil all the time and get long life from their engines despite the common idea that lots of oil means long life. I'm not a racer so I don't buy into all that jazz.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:04 AM
amicke

if you are looking for a rossi engine. I just got a .60 in absolutely fabulous condition.
[email protected] if interested