Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

My first four stroke, how hot should it run?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

My first four stroke, how hot should it run?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:45 AM
99GrandTouring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first four stroke, how hot should it run?

Guys I just got my first fourstroke a magnum .52 and I must say I like it.
The thing hand started on the first ever try.

My question is how hot should it run? Esp for break in..
I ran a tank through it yesterday and monitoring the temp it stayed anywhere from 80-104 degrees.

80 was when running it really rich and 104 when I leaned it out some.

So what is reccomended?
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Jazzy

Default RE: My first four stroke, how hot should it run?

Generally, a four-stroke is broken in quite rich for a few tanks then leaned to about 200 RPM rich from max. If it holds good RPM at all throttle settings and transitions well, it's broken in. If it doesn't, run more tanks. Basically, the first tank or three should be so rich that the glow starter needs to be kept on to keep it running.

Temperature is largely dependent upon how hard the engine is working (including internal friction), how much cooling air is flowing over it, and how much fuel/oil is carrying away heat . The best way to set up a 4-stroke is with a tachometer (setting it 200 RPM rich).

Opinions will vary but this approach is standard.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99GT,

Any glow engine should be run, at the temperature at which it runs best...

There is no exact value to this temperature and it differs, depending on the engine and where it is taken on the engine.
Temperature should not be the criterion, upon which adjustment is based.

In glow engines, the needles are actually the 'ignition timing controls'.

A lean mixture is quick to ignite and burns rapidly, compared to a rich mixture. So when you close the needle; what you are actually doing is to cause maximum burn-pressure to occur sooner in the cycle... Exactly like you would by advancing the distributor in an older car.

So, if an engine runs sluggishly and with low power, the ignition is probably too retarded (engine too cold and mixture too rich)...
If it backfires and detonates, also with reduced power; but it sounds stressed; the ignition is too advanced (engine too hot and mixture too lean)...

If your engine runs right, with good power; the ignition is set right and you can count on the mixture being OK and the temperature also being right; whatever its numerical value is... It simply does not matter!

That 'fool's trap' called a 'remote IR thermometer', is a most redundant piece of equipment, which must neither be trusted, nor used.

It provides you with absolutely no useful information, that you cannot deduce from your engine's behaviour.

EDIT: Typos.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:25 PM
kristj179

sorry about not staying on the subject? but i have a question on the asp fs52 ar 4 stroke.i have been going crazy on what engine to purchase my other engine im looking at is the magnum52 4 stroke ? can anybody give ma a little advise on the 2 engines in comparison? also where is the best deal for those engines.sorry just don t know how to start a new thread
thank you
Old 05-29-2010, 04:55 PM
mike109

G'day The ASP and Magnum four stroke engines are both made by Sanye in China. They are, to all intents and purposes, the same engine with a different brand on the side. I have had both and they were both fine engines. Some castor oil in them will help especially when they are new. I use 10% nitro, 5% castor, 15% synthetic and 70% methanol in all my engines.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:00 PM
kristj179

mike 109
thank you for the info? that answers alot it did seem to look identical to me .also thank you for the fuel recomendation. i fell alot better that i know.
thank you have a supper day