Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 55 AX

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 AM
prelude92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 55 AX

sorry to hear about your  trainer, but I guess that's what they're designed for. I hate the wind! But, I know I have to learn how to land with cross winds; pretty scary when you're still in your infant stages of flight.
Yes, I'd appreciate it  if you could find out about that prop size when you get a chance.

jc
Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 AM
mike109

G'day Shaggy.

I can believe that the wind picked it up and tossed it. I thought you were saying that the damage was caused in flight which would then probably mean that it had been overstressed while flying.

I recently damaged one of my Kadets while it was on the ground. Wind picked it up and turned it round so that the tail hit my hand as it went past. This cracked the tail post and I had to do some fancy repairs to fix it.

It is fine to overpower planes but when you do, you need to remember that you have done it and fly accordingly. I lost two planes in my early career when the pilot (it wasn't me) tried to do something that the plane was simply not able to do and something failed. In both cases, the plane had more power than it really needed and this added to the problem.

I remember your LA 46. I have recently rebuilt the one I took photos of to show you. Its piston and liner were badly peeled so I bought a new one for it. I was not the original owner and it had not cost me a anything so it only cost me the price of the piston/liner set. Now I need to find a model to put it in.

Cheers

Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM
shaggy48

JC - The prop is definately an 11 X 7.  I got both master airscrew and some APCs.  Have had the MA on it f since I first switched from the breakin prop which I think was 12 X 7 or 12 X 8.  Didn't like how it flew with the 12X prop but love how it flies with the 11 x 7.  Try it and let me know if I'm crazy.

Mike109 - Great you got your LA rebuilt.  I have wondered if mine could use a rebuild too but haven't touched it since I took it off the trainer except to put some after run oil in it.  I will fire it up one of these days and do need to find something to put it in. 

Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM
prelude92

Thanks, Shaggy.

jc
Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: prelude92

Hi shaggy48,

I've been sitting on a brand new 55ax for two weeks, unable to break-in because of the same problem you encountered. I immediately noticed how the drive hub simply slipped off the shaft when I held the engine in such away so that the crankshaft was pointed toward the floor. I called the os tech people and they said this was two weeks ago that this should not be happening, and that they would send me a replacement hub. Have been waiting for two weeks now. So, it seems from what I've been reading from this thread that 1) OS support is inconsistent and 2) that this isn't really a problem? The drive hub is ok with a loose fit around the crankshaft. Would you guys please confirm?

jc
Something doesn't sound correct, here. When a propeller is correctly installed, NOTHING should fall off when you tip the engine into any attitude. If you tip the engine nose down and things fall off, then you just don't have the propeller installed correctly. If you haven't lost any of the parts, there's nothing wrong with your engine. If you tipped it down and parts went skittering across the floor and you lost them, then you need replacement parts.

It is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL for the drive washer to be a loose fit when there is no propeller installed. Install a propeller and the drive washer will be in its proper position.

Over the years, O.S. has used different ways to install the drive washer. They have used a tapered collet, also called a "locking cone" to retain the drive washer, they've used woodruff keys, and they've used "D"-shaped holes in the drive washer to fit onto a "D"-shaped shaft. All work quite well.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
prelude92

Bill,

Thank you very much for addressing this. My question about the drive washer was indeed regarding a loose-fitting drive hub without the propeller installed, something I made abundantly clear to OS support.

jc
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I currently use three 55's and I had to make small shims to tighten up the thrust washer. I have had a dozen new 55's pass thru my hands and they all had loose fitting thrust washers. WHY? are they made to fit so loose? I back flip the engines to start them and if not overly tight they make a loud snap/crack sound when they reverse direction.
Fred
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be more concerned with the fact the the engine is reversing direction than the sound it makes