Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Wankel, who here is flyng one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Wankel, who here is flyng one?

I have a second gen OS wankel that has been hibernating in its box for some time now. I am thinking of giving it a wakeup call.

Aside from being extremely thirsty, they look like wonderful little engines.

How many of you are flying these little gems on a regular basis?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS Wankel, who here is flyng one?

I wish, but not yet!.. I wonder, has anyone converted one of these to gasoline and spark ignition?

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
rcdude7

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

I wish, but not yet!.. I wonder, has anyone converted one of these to gasoline and spark ignition?

Sincerely,

Richard
I doubt it will happen. These engines run very hot already on glow fuel, gasoline might cause it to melt down.

If were re-designed around a case with more metal and extra cooling capacity, gasoiline might work.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am thinking about getting one of the new ones from Tower. dont know what to put it on yet maybe the GP P-47 since kinda has round cowl
Old 06-29-2010, 06:50 PM
mike109

G'day I have been hanging around model engines for over 50 years and to date I have only ever seen one OS Wankle fly. I have seen a handful in boxes and on shop shelves but only one actually "commit aviation" and fly. It was in a very rough Ugly Stick and was on a tuned pipe. It screamed and hauled the stick round quite fast though it was probably no better than a similar (and cheaper) normal two stroke. At the time I thought it was a bit of a waste but I am glad I saw and heard it as the sound was wonderful and quite different.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
rcdude7

Here is my engine..........

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67566.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1460583  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so wankels have 3 fires(combustion cycles) per revolution? very neat motor
Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

No, 1 combustion per revolution. The rotor are slower than shaft also the shaft are rotating 3 revolutions and the rotor 1 revolution.

See my movie:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbg92mRUG4[/youtube]

The rotor are in wrong way cause difficult to rotate in right way when i filmed the engine
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 AM
rcdude7

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

Crankshaft makes one rotation, while the rotor makes one orbit and also turns 120 degrees.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:58 AM
Radial power

In case anyone is interested, here's a video I took some time ago of mine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LhmBdra1NE[/youtube]

It hasn't flown yet, but I'm building a Q500 racer for it, and I think it'll fly before the end of this summer [8D]

Radial.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM
MetallicaJunkie

thnkyou that helped..
Old 06-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Jezmo

RP, what prop is on it in the video?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Motorboy

The Wankel engine are impossible to handstart cause the rotor are rotating slow hence the compression are not raising fast as possible with minimal leakage. Two alternative to start the Wankel engine: Use electric starter or pull start as here movie:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8RLwWiYiQ[/youtube]

And the older Wankel engine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IteLuuT5aw0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnQHeN_5PkE[/youtube]
Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Radial power

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

RP, what prop is on it in the video?
It was an APC 9x5. I was using that small prop to see if I could reach 15000 rpm. I didn't manage to get to that speed, however, probably due to the use of old fuel that originally only had 5% nitro. And since the fuel was old, in addition to having a lot of moisture in it, likely the nitro content had lowered to 0%

I managed somewhat more than 13000 rpm (the tachometer was having problems getting a precise reading, which I later linked to a dying battery [:-] ), with an idle between 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm.

A more detailed description is present in the comments to the video: open the video on Youtube, then click the "show all comments" link and go to the bottom of the page. I used the nickname of "fmzambon" to upload that video, so don't look for comments by "radial power" [X(].

Radial.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Nikolas K

Gasoline conversion of the OS wankel, well, that would be very iteresting and I was thinking of doing it on my Type II 49PI. But then I thought better and I concluded that it would destroy the engine, since as you said the OS wankel has been designed to run on alcohol, ie vast amounts of fuel and gasoline runs leaner, so it would probably ruin it in a matter of few minutes running. You know with wankels you have to take rotor cooling in great consideration, and since the rotor in OS wankel is charge cooled, using gasoline wouldn't be a good idea at all.
There is however another factory, Nitto Engines, which makes model wankel engines, either glow or spark ignition, but if you search it on internet you will see that they have larger cooling fins and moreover there are rotor side seals (sealing rotor with side housings), whereas OS wankel relies on precision contact between rotor and side housings for sealing and that makes it even more sensitive on the amount of fuel while running (fuel helps also on sealing rotor with side housings).
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

that would be interesting if someone made a small gasoline wankel engine. would make prob the same amount of power as a similer glow engine but it wouldnt matter that it burnt through fuel a little quicker cause gas=cheap for dinkey little engines...not so much for cars.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Nikolas K

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

that would be interesting if someone made a small gasoline wankel engine. would make prob the same amount of power as a similer glow engine but it wouldnt matter that it burnt through fuel a little quicker cause gas=cheap for dinkey little engines...not so much for cars.

Well, I doubt that t would make the same amount of power, since methanol and nitro are really "hot fuels". See in Nitto website, http://www.nitto-mfg.com/ how much difference in power is the glow versus the spark ignition version of the same engine. Of course both are wankel engines...compared to a reciprocating glow 4 stroke engine, you have to admit that the electronic ignition module would also add weight.

By the way, replying to Motorboy, it is not a fact of low compression that Wankel engins have to be cranked quickly for starting, but because the spark or glow plug are in a "cavity" and not protruding into he combustion chamber in order to ignite the mixture more easily.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: Nikolas K

By the way, replying to Motorboy, it is not a fact of low compression that Wankel engins have to be cranked quickly for starting, but because the spark or glow plug are in a ''cavity'' and not protruding into he combustion chamber in order to ignite the mixture more easily.
Wrong answer.. The wankel engine are not tight enough to keep pressure of compression as in reciprocating engine, hence the Wankel engine has more leaks and can not keep pressure so long cause the clearance between rotor and front/back plate are bigger enough to get loss of pressure of compression. The rotor are rotating 3 times less than propeller shaft and the engine can not keep pressure of compression in short time as in the reciprocating engine who has better sealing by piston ring or has a right clearance between piston/sleeve in ringless engines. You can rotate the reciprocating engine slow until the engine are ignited by combustion without too large loss of pressure of compression, in the wankel engine are impossible to rotate slow before all compression are allready too less to produce a combustion, also the shaft must go 3 times faster to make the rotor fast as possible with minimal leakage enough to keep pressure of compression.

Glow plug must be hotter, not red glowing. It must be near bright yellow glowing to be sure the engine are easy to start.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 AM
Nikolas K

ORIGINAL: Motorboy

By the way, replying to Motorboy, it is not a fact of low compression that Wankel engins have to be cranked quickly for starting, but because the spark or glow plug are in a ''cavity'' and not protruding into he combustion chamber in order to ignite the mixture more easily.
Wrong answer.. The wankel engine are not tight enough to keep pressure of compression as in reciprocating engine, hence the Wankel engine has more leaks and can not keep pressure so long cause the clearance between rotor and front/back plate are bigger enough to get loss of pressure of compression. The rotor are rotating 3 times less than propeller shaft and the engine can not keep pressure of compression in short time as in the reciprocating engine who has better sealing by piston ring or has a right clearance between piston/sleeve in ringless engines. You can rotate the reciprocating engine slow until the engine are ignited by combustion without too large loss of pressure of compression, in the wankel engine are impossible to rotate slow before all compression are allready too less to produce a combustion, also the shaft must go 3 times faster to make the rotor fast as possible with minimal leakage enough to keep pressure of compression.

Glow plug must be hotter, not red glowing. It must be near bright yellow glowing to be sure the engine are easy to start.
Wrong answer...

Ignition is not initiated by compression but by the glow plug and if you have your "whatever" plug in South Africa you cannot ignite your mixture in New Zealand, this is what happens in a wankel engine, either being it spark or glow ignited.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Motorboy

Wrong answer...

Ignition is not initiated by compression but by the glow plug and if you have your ''whatever'' plug in South Africa you cannot ignite your mixture in New Zealand, this is what happens in a wankel engine, either being it spark or glow ignited.
Can not waste time on people without the knowledge..

Glowplug + fuelmix without compression = zero combustion.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Nikolas K

Wrong answer...

Ignition is not initiated by compression but by the glow plug and if you have your ''whatever'' plug in South Africa you cannot ignite your mixture in New Zealand, this is what happens in a wankel engine, either being it spark or glow ignited.
Can not waste time on people without the knowledge..

Glowplug + fuelmix without compression = zero combustion.

ts ts ts

What you say is irrelevant. Even reciprocating model engines do not have sufficient compression when cranked slowly..

I advise you download and read the OS 49PI type II instructions manual from the OS website. You will read clearly in the page with the particularities of the wankel engine why it needs to be started using an electric starter...
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 AM
DerFly

Ever felt the ignition "bump" when slowly turning over a perfectly primed engine with the glowplug energised?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
spaceworm

I look for this every time I hand start an engine, which is most of the time. One flip then starts it right up.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: DerFly

Ever felt the ignition ''bump'' when slowly turning over a perfectly primed engine with the glowplug energised?
Correct, in mostly reciprocating engines will give a bump when slowly turning over... There are no possible in a wankel engine since the engine are not tight and free for all leaks hence the engine are very difficult to handstart and need electric starter..

I advise you download and read the OS 49PI type II instructions manual from the OS website. You will read clearly in the page with the particularities of the wankel engine why it needs to be started using an electric starter...
I has allready 2 difference OS wankel engines, see my movies in this threads.. I am using pull start to fire up the wankel engines.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Nikolas K

Motorboy, I have seen your videos which are very good.
But still, if you can download the instructions for the Type II you will read why it needs continuous cranking either by an electric starter or by your way, the rope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.