Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The future of Glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The future of Glow engines

Why limit your motor to 50V? We habitually use much higher voltages in the home.

Won't the demand for power compel us to adopt higher voltages ... not just in models, but in full-sized vehicles, too?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like small gassers, but when considering weight, or I should say, when comparing the weight of a gas engine to a glow engine, you need to consider the fact that manufacturers will only tell you the weight of the ENGINE. You have to also consider the weight of the electronic ignition unit and the battery pack.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM
joeheren
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you just cant replace the smell of spent nitro!!! [8D]

just my 2 cents
Old 07-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Masonhornet

ORIGINAL: joeheren

you just cant replace the smell of spent nitro!!! [8D]

just my 2 cents
I agree..! Ozone just isn't the same...
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

The future is electric.

If the government doesn't get up off their kiesters and replace the tariffs on imports whose elimination caused this economic mess in the first place, no one in the USA will be able to afford flying toy airplanes. They will be more concerned with keeping a roof over their heads and food in their bellies.

Electrics have a great future, but not the ready made electrics. Some folks will be able to salvage electric motors and batteries from other applications and apply them to building under the table electric powered aircraft.

If you get a chance, pick up a used copy of Alvin Tofler's (sp?) first book, "Future Shock". You won't believe what you are reading when you realize that the book was published in 1972.

A good friend of mine, contracted testicular cancer some time ago. He went from holding $100k a year jobs down to jobs paying in the $20k range, all because of the "C" word.

Being an avid modeler who was known for spending a good bit of his income on models (R/C - smile), he dropped back to salvaging electric motors from various computer items. He's been flying mostly electric now for quite a while and has learned to enjoy it.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually electric can power 120-140 sized planes, quite adequately.

Yes I know. I've been flying a 76" Ultrastick Lite electric since 2003 or so. Batteries are not cost effective to me. I like it, I just cringe at having to replace batteries. I'm at that point right now and a single pack of 10S is 100USD minimum from HobbyKing. I don't fly that much so packs seem to age before they wear out. I seriously considered putting ignition on my FS-200 and burning gasoline, it might still happen. I don't fly glow right now unless it's something in the 1/2A size that's not electric.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The future is electric.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glow engines will be around for a long time, but they are being squeezed from above with the gasoline ignition engines and squeezed from below with the electric motor/battery systems. 1/2a is pretty much dead for glow engine. The 10 through 15 size is almost dead for glow engines.
But noise issues at many flying fields is what will be the deciding factor. Electrics win out over gas and glow when it comes to noise levels. There are some flying fields already that are electric only due to the noise issues.

I do have a  huge brushless motor, which is comparable to a 50cc to 80cc gasoline engine. I also have a brushless motor that compares well with a 30cc gasoline engine too. I plan on using the huge monster motor in a 50cc plane eventually. I just need to get a powerful ESC that can handle it.

Gasoline engines do have a gasoline stink about them that means you can take them inside your home without the family getting upset. Plus you have to deal with the stink to and from the flying field too. I have yet to not have a gasoline stink in the car when I fill up the gas can for the lawn mower, etc. Of course if you have a pickup truck and a garage at home, it is no big deal then.
Glow fuel on the other hand doesn't stink like gasoline does, so it isn't annoying in that sense.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I think that there will always be diehard believers for glow engines and is fine.I agree that electric is the biggest new phase of rc .if you live in a metro area where noise is an issue you can bet electrics will prevail..I fly both.and actually I am selling off all but one 2 stroke and kept all my satios..I am about to buy my first small gasser a syssa 30.what a great product made within a couple hours of my home and not across the ocean.I fly 3dhobby planes as I believe they are the best of its kind !battery technology continues to improve and prices even since I started 4 years ago have really dropped with effecincy going up. there is plenty of room for everyone.if you are lucky (ornot so lucky) to live ina rural setting you can fly just about anything and nobody cares.but many of us live in places with neighbors and houses and must be vigilant to keep noise in check.I will say that I love my electrics for manuverability .they will aerobatically outperfofm any nitro or gas.but then I love warbirds and for me I want fourstrokes or a small gasser.

the future is a combination of all 3!releax and find your niche and just enjoy rc..
Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
tonyob

I prefer the sound and flight of glow engines but an increasing number of flying fields in this area are coming under pressure from nearby residents over noise issues.

I fly 2 stroke and 4 stroke glow as well as electric.

My prediction is that in 10 to 15 years the majority of those flying in and around cities will be flying predominantly electric.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Let me start off by saying that in the 7 or so years I've been in the hobby, have never flown a glow driven plane. Personally I'm not a big fan of them for a few reasons; mainly the fuel expense and all the support gear, not to mention I see folks constantly tinkering with them trying to keep them tuned and so forth. I started with electrics because it was a cost effective way of getting into the hobby without sinking the bank, plus I liked the aspect of just charge and fly. But it didn't take long to realize that electric will only scale so far, and then it becomes too costly compared to glow/gas engines. At that point I made the decision to go with gas and haven't looked back. I still have some electrics, such as a telemaster and smaller 3D planes, but those will move out the door when I can find a buyer.

For me, I like the simplistic. Once dialed-in, its very rare I have to touch the engine to make adjustments. I have one gas container that works for all. Gas is still far cheaper than nitro. I get longer flight times on gas. There is a minimal amount of equipment to tote around. I store my planes in the house, not a trailer or garage. You can walk into my hanger room and you will not smell gas. Sure, you can bend down to the plane and get a slight whiff.. but nothing close like smelling up the house or room.. not sure why some of you have smelly planes. And last, I like bigger planes. Yes, there is a higher entry cost to gas, but once the investment is made, its cheaper to fly so you recoup that cost over the flying life of the plane. Unless of course its a bad day and you bury the thing on the 5th flight!

All that said.. I believe glow will be around for a while longer. There are far too many using them, and if you prefer to fly the .40 - .90 size birds, glow is king. I have absolutely nothing against glow, just wasn't a good fit for me personally, and where I wanted to go in the hobby.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Mike06659

I've flown glow engines for a long time. I just recently purchase a gasser "DLE 55" and it has spoiled me. My glow stuff doesn't even come out of the hangar anymore "very sad". With Gas there is no mess, very reliable, cheap to fly, and tons of power. The sound with a pitts muffler is the way an airplane should sound. I feel bad for my glow engines but I'm sold on Gas for my big stuff and electric for my small stuff.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:54 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I really like small gassers, but when considering weight, or I should say, when comparing the weight of a gas engine to a glow engine, you need to consider the fact that manufacturers will only tell you the weight of the ENGINE. You have to also consider the weight of the electronic ignition unit and the battery pack.
When being weight concious, one must also consider the lower fuel amount that a gas engine needs. Less fuel is less weight, a smaller tank is less weight. In the end, the weight penalty for gas is extremely small. There alsois the advantage that carb settings do not lean out in flight as the tank gets depleted of fuel, so engine performance is a constant factor.
In a setup I worked with, the weight difference (full tank) was a mere 1.5 Oz, about the weight of a few stickers.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Steve Landron

I have both electric and glo.

I just don't really feel I've flown something unless I've put a Nitro bird in the air. I love my Nitro, I hope it's still around for a long, long, time, at least until I'm no longer around!

[8D]

Steve
Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM
thepamster

Only if you can pry my gas can from my cold dead hands.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:35 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I have read where some are saying electric is the future, Well not for me! electric bores me to no end! Planes make noise period to me, and I even view electric as just toys! Glow has got out of hand with the price of fuel and glow plugs that said I have so much invested in it i will never be able to get out of it altogether, but I am happy that the gas engines are getting smaller because as I can I will replace allot of glow in my favorit planes to gas. mainly the ones I fly most! I know I am going through the ringer on my views on electric but really can not stand not hearing an airplane! I am sure there are places they are better around a city but here sound aint a problem!

My girlfriend did not want me to get a War-bird, So now I'm dating her sister!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:43 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Steve Landron

I just don't really feel I've flown something unless I've put a Nitro bird in the air. I love my Nitro, I hope it's still around for a long, long, time, at least until I'm no longer around!

[8D]

Steve
+5
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Noise Abatement

Some electric planes, are quieter than some glow planes.

Many electric planes, are far noisier than some glow planes.

Many glow planes, particularly 4-strokes, are quieter than many electric planes.

Show me one typical screaming EDF that is quieter than a typical muffled glow engine.

Show me one rippin' electric hotliner whose ear shattering shriek is quieter than a rippin .40 on a tuned pipe.

Shutting down glow engines to save flying fields is going to be a rude awakening to some homeowner associations.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Well the guys that are flying electric at are field we make them make humming noise's so we know when they are flying! And the electric's that you can hear when you go to an event just does not sound right to me! Spent glow fuel now there's a smell I really like, You wont get that from electric! Not to mention I love tinkering with glow engines!

Want to keep from crashing? take off and land higher!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Phoenixangel

I really, really really really like glow.....Cost of fuel is painful if you order it lately.

I am saving for the MagnumXLS 52G...If it will come near the current .46 glow in performance, I will likely buy a few over the next couple of years to replace my 40 sized engines. The savings for me will make it worth it.

I only fly about one or twice a month when my brother and I can get away from work at the same time. It is common for us to burn 2-3 gallons of glow.

If I can make that 2-3 gallons of gasoline then WOOHOOO !

Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

I worry that glow fuel manufacturers may eventually drop out if demand drops to much. SO, I'm going to learn to mix my own fuel just in case. That way I can fly glow as long as I am still kickin'. I will support fuel manufactures to do my part to keep them around. I am going to try some of the new smaller gassers.

I will probably keep one electric around, but will never load up as technology( motors, batteries, and chargers) increases so fast. I know not having alot of packs around really cuts down on your electric flying. But an electric friend says to consider batteries as ' fuel cost'. I tell him that those expensive chargers and support equipment are also a cost of flying electric. I remind him frequently that MY hobby is for MY enjoyment. I will try not to bother him while I am flying.....

I love flying a properly setup glow engine. It remains my favorite way to fly.

turbo
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

As said previously, glow fuel doesn't have to be expensive. Methanol is cheap ($3 per gallon) and usually locally available. Castor oil is around $30 per gallon and can be shipped without a hazardous shipment fee. Synthetic is around $45 per gallon. Nitromethane is not necessary for many engines. So you can make a gallon of FAI fuel for around $8 per gallon or synthetic oil fuel for around $11 per gallon.

I personally prefer glow engines. Just a personal preference - after all it's a hobby.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 PM
telejojo

When it's all electric that's when I will quit.............................................. .
Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
tony0707

HI
the gasoline and THE oil mix required to run a two cycle engine -STINKSit has a bad odor-
the stuff smells so bad i would not desire to have it in my homewere i work on my planes all the time-i will stay with glo fuel after 20 years -THANK YOUTONY
Old 07-16-2010, 09:09 PM
cremation101
My Feedback: (2)

You can buy methanol for about 3 bucks a gallon, maybe less. Its the nitro that's expensive. So if the price is expensive then use low or no nitro fuel. If the price of low or no nitro fuel is expensive then mix your own. You can buy oil for about $20-$25 per gallon so 0% nitro fuel would be about $6. I considered buying a Fox or Magnum .50 sized gas engine, but the ignition modules are just too large for this size model. The performance while good, is not good enough.
where do you get methanol that cheap? my rossi engines love no nitro fuel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.